Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Another excuse for not wearing helmets, they harbor evil spirits!

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Another excuse for not wearing helmets, they harbor evil spirits!

Old 01-08-09, 06:59 PM
  #1  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Another excuse for not wearing helmets, they harbor evil spirits!

If you are looking for another excuse for not wearing helmets, heres one, they are full of evil spirits that will put a cusre on you! At least thats what they think in Nigeria. Actually, evil spirits in helmets is about as good a reason not to wear a helmet as some of the arguments I've read on the A&S forums!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7813418.stm
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 01-08-09, 07:07 PM
  #2  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,754

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
If you are looking for another excuse for not wearing helmets, heres one, they are full of evil spirits that will put a cusre on you! At least thats what they think in Nigeria. Actually, evil spirits in helmets is about as good a reason not to wear a helmet as some of the arguments I've read on the A&S forums!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7813418.stm
If you seriously believe in the magical powers of bicycle helmets to significantly reduce the already low risks of cycling for individuals, or the public at large, you have the makings of a sucker for any proselytizers' pitch and a ripe candidate for Nigerian Internet scammers.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-08-09, 11:03 PM
  #3  
lightningcow
Senior Member
 
lightningcow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 98

Bikes: Modded Trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nigerians seriously get into the juju stuff.
lightningcow is offline  
Old 01-08-09, 11:11 PM
  #4  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As do anti-helmet activists.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 03:24 AM
  #5  
Basil Moss
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,051

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
If you seriously believe in the magical powers of bicycle helmets to significantly reduce the already low risks of cycling for individuals, or the public at large, you have the makings of a sucker for any proselytizers' pitch and a ripe candidate for Nigerian Internet scammers.
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Basil Moss is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 04:40 AM
  #6  
cyclezealot
Senior Member
 
cyclezealot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Fallbrook,Calif./Palau del Vidre, France
Posts: 13,192

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1259 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
As do anti-helmet activists.
Ever smelled an old abandoned helmet.. They might be right.?.
__________________
Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living










^ Since January 1, 2012
cyclezealot is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 06:26 AM
  #7  
ilmooz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that explains why my eBay-Nigeria helmet listings have no bidders.
ilmooz is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 07:06 AM
  #8  
wahoonc
Membership Not Required
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Posts: 16,854

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
As do anti-helmet activists.
I think it falls on both sides of the equation...

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 07:50 AM
  #9  
San Rensho 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,657
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
If you seriously believe in the magical powers of bicycle helmets to significantly reduce the already low risks of cycling for individuals, or the public at large, you have the makings of a sucker for any proselytizers' pitch and a ripe candidate for Nigerian Internet scammers.
Touche!
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 09:52 AM
  #10  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,563
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
The article is about motorcycle helmets.

...but don't let that stop anyone from extending that to bicycle helmets.

They probably look to the godsless USA and shake their heads in wonder about how we go about our business not paying attention to spirits, sorcery, etc.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 10:19 AM
  #11  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,492

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '68 Schwinn Orange Krate, and More!!

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 64 Posts
Not wearing a helmet because it may harbor evil spirits? That's just silly. Everyone knows they prefer pumpkins. You'll never catch me putting one on my head.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 10:28 AM
  #12  
Denny Koll
Senior Member
 
Denny Koll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to start wearing a motorcycle helmet when I ride my bike.
Denny Koll is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:09 AM
  #13  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
As do anti-helmet activists.
anti-helmet activists? You mean there are people and organizations out there who are actively telling people to NOT wear bicycle helmets and trying to ban helmet use? Point us to them please?
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:13 AM
  #14  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
anti-helmet activists? You mean there are people and organizations out there who are actively telling people to NOT wear bicycle helmets and trying to ban helmet use? Point us to them please?
Do you believe that would be the only way to work against helmet use?
Blue Order is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:14 AM
  #15  
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,365

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
Do you believe that would be the only way to work against helmet use?
I dunno...you're the one talking about anti-helmet activists...who are they?
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:19 AM
  #16  
spacerconrad
I'm in shape! A round one
 
spacerconrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 130

Bikes: Kona Jake, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montague Paratrooper, and an old Bridgestone 200 I rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm certainly not anti-helmet, as I wear one when I ride, but I also believe that one's body is his/her own, and they may choose for themselves.

As for evil spirits, the voices only come to me on steep uphill stretches...
spacerconrad is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:20 AM
  #17  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
I dunno...you're the one talking about anti-helmet activists...who are they?
That's a different question than the one you asked.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:43 AM
  #18  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,563
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6953 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
BTW, wasn't too long ago that those who oppose wearing helmets on motorcycles came up with the idea of an inflatable vinyl contraption that *looked* like a motorcycle helmet from a distance--too fool LEO--but which was probably marginally less effective than a pumpkin shell at actual protection in event of a spill.

Equally silly.

Not wearing a helmet because of evil spirits is also akin to not eating the flesh of swine because they are "unclean."

But hey, let's keep the Nigerian cultural bigotry going, by all means...
mconlonx is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 11:51 AM
  #19  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 27,754

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
That's a different question than the one you asked.
Since you don't want to answer the obvious; I'll help you out. The answer to the question of who are these anti helmet activists? - Blue Order's fabricated straw men argument, that's who.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 12:03 PM
  #20  
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 9,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
That's a different question than the one you asked.
Yeah, I don't think so. I think you're side-stepping the question because Chip caught you.

Chip asked you to point us to the anti-helmet activists that are actively telling people to NOT wear bicycle helmets and trying to ban helmet use to which you deflected a response by posing another question.

Seems to me you not only made an accusation that there are anti-helmet activists, but since your post was just a few minutes after lightningcows comment that Nigerians are seriously into the JuJu stuff, you're making another accusation that anti-helmet activists rely on that too.

Seems to me what some people would call others as anti-helmet, others would call pro-choice.

From all of what what I've read and discussed on the topic, it would seem to me that it's those who wish to impose their will on others that rely on more, lets say, metaphysical than concrete evidence.

Set us straight. Who are actively telling people to NOT wear bicycle helmets and trying to ban helmet use?
closetbiker is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 12:11 PM
  #21  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Since you don't want to answer the obvious; I'll help you out. The answer to the question of who are these anti helmet activists? - Blue Order's fabricated straw men argument, that's who.
Well, look who showed up (and who could've seen it coming? )-- the A&Ser whose only discernible "contribution" to discussions of cycling safety is to shoot down proposed solutions to safety issues by attacking their proponents.

Sorry to disappoint you, but your own straw man is NOT my argument.

Last edited by Blue Order; 01-09-09 at 12:40 PM.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 12:13 PM
  #22  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
Yeah, I don't think so. I think you're side-stepping the question because Chip caught you.
And who could have seen you showing up?

The only thing I'm sidestepping is Chip's lame attempt at setting me up with a straw man. If he wants an answer to his question, he can ask it without framing it in the context of a straw man argument.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 12:31 PM
  #23  
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.
 
Ajenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
And who could have seen you showing up?

The only thing I'm sidestepping is Chip's lame attempt at setting me up with a straw man. If he wants an answer to his question, he can ask it without framing it in the context of a straw man argument.
Ok, I'll ask it. Can you name any anti-helmet organizations that are advocating that cyclists not wear helmets?
Ajenkins is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 12:39 PM
  #24  
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,281
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajenkins View Post
Ok, I'll ask it. Can you name any anti-helmet organizations that are advocating that cyclists not wear helmets?
You guys aren't getting it.

I never said that there are anti-helmet activists who are advocating that cyclists not wear helmets. That was Chip's straw man argument, picked up and repeated by Closetbiker.
Blue Order is offline  
Old 01-09-09, 12:46 PM
  #25  
zeytoun
Non-Custom Member
 
zeytoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 1,613

Bikes: 1975-1980 SR road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
See everyone, what Blue Order is too cowardly to say explicitly is that in his mind, an "anti-helmet advocate" pursues a much less direct, and more insidious agenda.

Instead of trying to ban helmets, "anti-helmet advocates" pose here on bikeforums as rational truthseekers, weighing the merits of bicycle helmets, using mystical thinking to subtly sow seeds of doubt to convert more to their cause.

But of course, he won't name names. And it's your fault for asking him. He indirectly implied, and that should be good enough for you. How dare you call him on it, or ask him to explain himself more directly.
zeytoun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.