Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding on the sidewalk? That deserves a beating :-)

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Riding on the sidewalk? That deserves a beating :-)

Old 01-30-09, 09:09 AM
  #26  
kylejack
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did he immediately start searching her when he stopped her? That seems like bad form to me. I don't see how he had cause for that.
kylejack is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 09:26 AM
  #27  
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,258

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't believe how many here are defending the behaviour and conduct of the police. Police are supposed to be trained and skilled in dealing with situations appropriately. A cyclist (though I hesitate to call the victim a cyclist, prefering that she was really a person on a bike) riding on a deserted sidewalk (apparently) does not deserve a beating while handcuffed and pinned betneath two burly male cops because the first cop was incompetent and maced himself. The cop went for his pepper spray way too early anyway. He needs to show restraint, control and common sense. Unless there was more to the victim than has been reported, the cops went way over the line and should be held accountable.

There's no doubt the victim was stupid and mouthy, but there's no law against being stupid. Cops need to know how to deal with that reasonably and intelligently. The cop in the video didn't. He was a bully. And she was smart enough to ask why she was being hit and beaten while handcuffed, loud enough for the camera microphone to pick up.

Perhaps most Americans think such violence is acceptable considering the society they live in, I don't know, but it makes me think that perhaps the motto 'land of the free' should be updated to 'land of the free...or as free as we allow you to be and that'll just depend on how much of an ass we feel like being when we see you' or 'land of the free, but not if you're black' or 'land of the free if you look respectable' or any number of other contradictions.They were clearly and obviously way over the line. The 'arresting' officer, it could be argued by any competent lawyer harassed the woman when he went to ticket her for riding on the sidewalk when it seemed there was no danger to pedestrians (there weren't any that I could see). It's a frivolous offense. I hope she wins her case. She might be an idiot, but she also just might wind up a rich idiot.
EnigManiac is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 09:44 AM
  #28  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,308

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6370 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by EnigManiac View Post
I can't believe how many here are defending the behaviour and conduct of the police. Police are supposed to be trained and skilled in dealing with situations appropriately. A cyclist (though I hesitate to call the victim a cyclist, prefering that she was really a person on a bike) riding on a deserted sidewalk (apparently) does not deserve a beating while handcuffed and pinned betneath two burly male cops because the first cop was incompetent and maced himself. The cop went for his pepper spray way too early anyway. He needs to show restraint, control and common sense. Unless there was more to the victim than has been reported, the cops went way over the line and should be held accountable.

There's no doubt the victim was stupid and mouthy, but there's no law against being stupid. Cops need to know how to deal with that reasonably and intelligently. The cop in the video didn't. He was a bully. And she was smart enough to ask why she was being hit and beaten while handcuffed, loud enough for the camera microphone to pick up.

Perhaps most Americans think such violence is acceptable considering the society they live in, I don't know, but it makes me think that perhaps the motto 'land of the free' should be updated to 'land of the free...or as free as we allow you to be and that'll just depend on how much of an ass we feel like being when we see you' or 'land of the free, but not if you're black' or 'land of the free if you look respectable' or any number of other contradictions.They were clearly and obviously way over the line. The 'arresting' officer, it could be argued by any competent lawyer harassed the woman when he went to ticket her for riding on the sidewalk when it seemed there was no danger to pedestrians (there weren't any that I could see). It's a frivolous offense. I hope she wins her case. She might be an idiot, but she also just might wind up a rich idiot.
While indeed the police were heavy handed... keep in mind that this wasn't her first offense and she was charged with possession of cocaine.

Certainly even with that info, there was some very heavy handed police action there.
genec is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:01 AM
  #29  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
While indeed the police were heavy handed... keep in mind that this wasn't her first offense and she was charged with possession of cocaine.

Certainly even with that info, there was some very heavy handed police action there.
Did they know this before he started smacking her while she was on the ground?

Or maybe she just looked like the criminal type, eh?
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:02 AM
  #30  
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,258

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec View Post
While indeed the police were heavy handed... keep in mind that this wasn't her first offense and she was charged with possession of cocaine.

Certainly even with that info, there was some very heavy handed police action there.
I suspected there was more to the story. That's why I included the caveat 'Unless there was more to the victim than has been reported.' I must have skipped over the part where it cited she had priors. Still, such behaviour by the police was extreme, in my opinion.

Such events are not unheard of up here either, but they sure seem a lot rarer.
EnigManiac is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:03 AM
  #31  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,308

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6370 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
Did they know this before he started smacking her while she was on the ground?

Or maybe she just looked like the criminal type, eh?
Good point. As I said they were very heavy handed... and no in my mind the actions were not justified.
genec is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:19 AM
  #32  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 7,989

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All three of those bullys should be drummed out of the force. They are a blight on the name of good officers.

They had no reason to do any of the things they did.......

Too bad that he didn't mace all three of them....
Wanderer is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 04:48 PM
  #33  
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 1,136

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi EnigManiac,

I have to agree that race may have been an issue in this, as also was class. Bullies tend to mis-treat those they consider on the margins of society, and unfortunately in some eyes, riding a bicycle puts one there (as does being black). This cop seems to clearly be a bully.

I think that the woman could have reacted better, but to my eyes, she was defending herself, and Mr policeman was getting pissed off that someone he considered to be his inferior was talking back and not respecting him. And the prior convictions are not relevant since during the initial counter its not like the cop knew this.

I also wonder why the original ticket was being issued when it was foggy weather. A lot of times cops have a lot of discretion and it seems to me that this one decided from the get go how he was going to treat her.
__________________
baiskeli is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 05:24 PM
  #34  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also think it's interesting to note that the woman tried to get on the street and comply with the officer's order, but no, that wasn't enough!
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 05:37 PM
  #35  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In small hick towns towns cops always harass certain 'regulars'.
If you are homeless, a drunk or another fringe type personality you
are fair game for the beat-down at any time.
Gotta keep the good folk safe.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 06:27 PM
  #36  
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred
 
dwilbur3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 742

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cyclist was a repeat crack cocaine offender. She resisted arrest. She plead guilty for possession of crack.

I don't think that forgives the abusive conduct, but this was not a random arrest.
dwilbur3 is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 06:29 PM
  #37  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^^ Sorry, cops are the criminals this time, relatively speaking
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:04 PM
  #38  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
^^^^ Sorry, cops are the criminals this time, relatively speaking
If she had done as she was told, nothing in the video would have happend. None of her rights were violated. She was breaking a law that he was stopping her for, and she refused to stop until he approached her. Now we know why she was worried about stopping. The police did nothing wrong.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:10 PM
  #39  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The cleaners called. The brown shirt you dropped off to be starched and ready to be picked up
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:15 PM
  #40  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
The cleaners called. The brown shirt you dropped off to be starched and ready to be picked up

Hmmm, comparing me to a Nazi while defending a crackhead breaking at least one law. I've been pulled over by the police before and had NO problem. Should everyone fight back physically when H.R. 45 violates our rights under the US Constitution?
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:24 PM
  #41  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This video is a very good example of why I firmly believe people have problems because they make choices that bring these problems on themselves. This is unquestionably so for Sheila Stevenson.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:40 PM
  #42  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^ And you would be wrong. IVe been headknocked by a hick cop
over nothing. A mistake. Of course I was compensated but you dont forget
this stuff. You just do not go around physically assaulting weaker people for
any reason in a civilized society.
Any of you pro-fascist people remember this could very easily be you, the
'choice' that gets you the beating might be as harmless a trip to the store.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:55 PM
  #43  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by -=Łem in Pa=- View Post
^^^ And you would be wrong. IVe been headknocked by a hick cop
over nothing. A mistake. Of course I was compensated but you dont forget
this stuff. You just do not go around physically assaulting weaker people for
any reason in a civilized society.
Any of you pro-fascist people remember this could very easily be you, the
'choice' that gets you the beating might be as harmless a trip to the store.
The next time I watch the movie with the LAPD taking on the bank robbers with the body armor and military grade weapons I'll remember that the police should have asked nicer first.
This woman wasn't doing nothing, as you say you were, she WAS doing something.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 07:57 PM
  #44  
wheel
Senior Member
 
wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crystal MN
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I reposted this crap..


My whole thing is the pull over. Why pull someone off the sidewalk in a foggy night and make them ride in the road?
We hear that by the tape.
Unless you want too escalate things by fishing or profiling.
wheel is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 08:06 PM
  #45  
chainstrainer
lube addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central coast California
Posts: 515

Bikes: Specialized FSR-XC, Optima Baron, Bianchi Pista, Strida 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Must have been a slow day for those cops. Bike riding on the sidewalk? Yeah, that's right up there with assault, robbery and shootings. I think they were primed to show off their training to someone - anyone, for any reason. If someone down the street had been littering I wonder what stellar action might have ensued. They might have had to call in some back-up.
chainstrainer is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 08:09 PM
  #46  
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred
 
dwilbur3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 742

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, maybe because they'd busted her before for the very same crime? But no chance she would do it again right?
dwilbur3 is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 09:16 PM
  #47  
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,258

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
The next time I watch the movie with the LAPD taking on the bank robbers with the body armor and military grade weapons I'll remember that the police should have asked nicer first.
This woman wasn't doing nothing, as you say you were, she WAS doing something.
You're going to equate an organized and extremel heavily-armed group of bank robbers with a crack-head riding a bicycle on a sidewalk? The one municipal offense that is probably the most ignored by cops? Really? You're kidding right. These two situations are the same to you?
EnigManiac is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:00 PM
  #48  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EnigManiac View Post
You're going to equate an organized and extremel heavily-armed group of bank robbers with a crack-head riding a bicycle on a sidewalk? The one municipal offense that is probably the most ignored by cops? Really? You're kidding right. These two situations are the same to you?
No, I was being outlandish in the comparison, to be outlandish. If I did what the woman did, I would expect to get the exact same treatment she got.
But hey, who am I? If I have someone beating on my door in the middle of the night, when I call the cops I don't want them sending someone that will keep trying to talk when someone gets rowdy, I want the biggest, baddest, bad attitude cops to show up.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:23 PM
  #49  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
If she had done as she was told, nothing in the video would have happend. None of her rights were violated. She was breaking a law that he was stopping her for, and she refused to stop until he approached her. Now we know why she was worried about stopping. The police did nothing wrong.
Okay, so once she puts up a little resistance she's fair game. Slap her around as much as you want.
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 10:58 PM
  #50  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
Okay, so once she puts up a little resistance she's fair game. Slap her around as much as you want.
She was obviously putting up more than a little resistance, or the two cops that were still on her would have had an easy time of cuffing her. I expect just as much from the citizens as I do from the police.
Dchiefransom is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.