Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Riding on the sidewalk? That deserves a beating :-)

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Riding on the sidewalk? That deserves a beating :-)

Old 01-30-09, 11:08 PM
  #51  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
She was obviously putting up more than a little resistance, or the two cops that were still on her would have had an easy time of cuffing her. I expect just as much from the citizens as I do from the police.
Boy that Rodney King must have really been giving them a hard time, or else they wouldn't have beaten him so badly. Or that fellow in Oakland must have really been putting up quite a fight, or else they wouldn't have shot him in the back like that.

Etc., etc., ad nauseam.
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-30-09, 11:21 PM
  #52  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
Boy that Rodney King must have really been giving them a hard time, or else they wouldn't have beaten him so badly. Or that fellow in Oakland must have really been putting up quite a fight, or else they wouldn't have shot him in the back like that.

Etc., etc., ad nauseam.
The guy in Oakland is most likely a mistake by the officer, and he's being charged. Funny how there's no video of the fight they were in that got to police to take them into custody. Maybe the people filming it felt safe enough to film the police, but not the people engaged in assault and battery?

Rodney King? Do you mean the guy that drove in his car at high speeds trying to evade a female CHP officer? The one that made her worry enough that she requested backup during the chase? The Rodney King that picked up that adult female officer and tossed her 6 feet(try that sometime)? That's when the LAPD took over. Rodney King was tased more than once. It took what the police did to get him to stay down. Maybe they should have talked nicely to him?
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 04:31 AM
  #53  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=£em in Pa=- View Post
^^^ And you would be wrong. IVe been headknocked by a hick cop
over nothing. A mistake. Of course I was compensated but you dont forget
this stuff. You just do not go around physically assaulting weaker people for
any reason in a civilized society.
Any of you pro-fascist people remember this could very easily be you, the
'choice' that gets you the beating might be as harmless a trip to the store.
And I'd just about bet money you copped an attitude with him escalating the animosity of the situation before he bopped you. I do not believe he just pulled out his nightstick and whacked you with it over "nothing".

You don't forget being attacked by a criminal, either. I am glad every time one of this ilk gets taken down.

In spite of your poor attempt at an insult, which I will ignore, no; this could not have very easily been me, nor anyone like me.
A: I would not have been riding on the sidewalk to begin with.
B: If he stopped me for some other reason, I would have complied with the order to stop, while remaining calm, polite and professional. I would have also produced identification when requested to do so.
C: The only drugs I do are caffeine and nicotine, and only in legal form.
D: The only record I have of prior criminal activity is two traffic tickets. The most recent, 1986.

Rodney King is a very poor example of brutality; as is any known criminal who is forcefully resisting arrest. Reginald Denney would be a better example, except that it was the criminals who brutalized him, rather than law enforcement.

This is hilarious:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioHC...next=1&index=1
Stupid 2 is the instigator. This is not brutality. As soon as Stupid 1 raises his hands, he has chosen to present himself as a threat.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 01-31-09 at 05:59 AM.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 06:46 AM
  #54  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
And I'd just about bet money you copped an attitude with him escalating the animosity of the situation before he bopped you. I do not believe he just pulled out his nightstick and whacked you with it over "nothing".

And again, you would be wrong. This is why Im so adamant about this.
Cops do beat people down because they want to, all the time. People
who watch lots of Tv or have psychologically recused themselves from
reality dont believe this. Thats yours/their choice. But it can be you.
If you would like to expedite your comeuppance into reality, ride your
bicycle down a main artery in Johnson City Tennessee, hold up traffic
by 'taking the lane' and report back your experience with the local
police department.
.:edit:.
I see you are from Florida........This explains a lot to me.
No point in responding, further.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 09:22 AM
  #55  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
Rodney King? Do you mean the guy that drove in his car at high speeds trying to evade a female CHP officer? The one that made her worry enough that she requested backup during the chase? The Rodney King that picked up that adult female officer and tossed her 6 feet(try that sometime)? That's when the LAPD took over. Rodney King was tased more than once. It took what the police did to get him to stay down. Maybe they should have talked nicely to him?
Oh come on. You really think it's okay for several officers to whale on a guy while he's already incapacitated? It's not their place to mete out what they think is justice. It doesn't matter what the offender did previously.

Might as well just string him up on the nearest tree, right?

You really think that Rodney King was some superhuman, impervious to all those blows? You do know that police go too far sometimes, right? Or are you inclined to just trust the police, no matter what they do?
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 09:47 AM
  #56  
EnigManiac
Senior Member
 
EnigManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,258

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
No, I was being outlandish in the comparison, to be outlandish. If I did what the woman did, I would expect to get the exact same treatment she got.
But hey, who am I? If I have someone beating on my door in the middle of the night, when I call the cops I don't want them sending someone that will keep trying to talk when someone gets rowdy, I want the biggest, baddest, bad attitude cops to show up.
The point is, I expect cops to respond according to the situation appropriately: if someone is attempting to break down my door, as you illustrate, I want cops responding with guns drawn. If armed and armoured bank robbers are firing their weapons, I want to the police to respond in force with guns a-blazin' and if (prior to actually finding any drugs on the perp) a suspected crack possesor is riding a bike on a deserted sidewalk and not in the commission of an offense (as they are in the other two examples), I want the cops to exercise restraint and intelligence. The police in this case only had reasonable suspicion that the subject might possibly be in possession of a prohibited narcotic, after all. It's all a matter of acting accordingly with the situation.
EnigManiac is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 10:04 AM
  #57  
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 1,136

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
Hmmm, comparing me to a Nazi while defending a crackhead breaking at least one law. I've been pulled over by the police before and had NO problem. Should everyone fight back physically when H.R. 45 violates our rights under the US Constitution?
I've been pulled over for no reason, I've had a cop point a gun at me for the crime of jogging at 5:00am in the morning, but then my skin color may have had something to do with all those.

I've had bad interactions with police and even got stopped for not using my signal for at least 8 seconds before switching lanes (true story!).

Sure, the woman in the video did some stupid stuff, but I think the whole tone of the encounter was set by the police officer from the outset. And his decision to cite her MAY have been predicated on race (and class).

And even if she was a crack addict, there is absolutely no excuse for his conduct.
__________________
baiskeli is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 10:19 AM
  #58  
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 1,136

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
The guy in Oakland is most likely a mistake by the officer, and he's being charged. Funny how there's no video of the fight they were in that got to police to take them into custody. Maybe the people filming it felt safe enough to film the police, but not the people engaged in assault and battery?

Rodney King? Do you mean the guy that drove in his car at high speeds trying to evade a female CHP officer? The one that made her worry enough that she requested backup during the chase? The Rodney King that picked up that adult female officer and tossed her 6 feet(try that sometime)? That's when the LAPD took over. Rodney King was tased more than once. It took what the police did to get him to stay down. Maybe they should have talked nicely to him?
Please tell me your kidding. Don't you think the cops attitude in that case may have contributed to him shooting a subdued man in the back? The reason people are pissed off about the incident is because its yet another case of a non-white person being unjustifiably killed by a cop and people are making all kinds of excuses.

What about the 12 year old black girl who was beaten by plain clothes cops because they were out looking for a prostitute (who was white)
http://boingboing.net/2008/12/18/pla...es-police.html

As Dymond headed toward the breaker, a blue van drove up and three men jumped out rushing toward her. One of them grabbed her saying, “You’re a prostitute. You’re coming with me.”

Dymond grabbed onto a tree and started screaming, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy.” One of the men covered her mouth. Two of the men beat her about the face and throat.

As it turned out, the three men were plain-clothed Galveston police officers who had been called to the area regarding three white prostitutes soliciting a white man and a black drug dealer.

After the incident, Dymond was hospitalized and suffered black eyes as well as throat and ear drum injuries.



Or the baseball player who was shot in his fathers driveway
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/08/baseballer.shot/

Tolan's relatives say the two young men had just arrived from a late-night run to a Jack-in-the-Box fast food restaurant.

As they walked up the driveway to their home, Anthony Cooper said an unidentified man emerged from the darkness with a flashlight and a gun pointed at them.

"We did not know it was a police officer," said Cooper. "He said, 'Stop. Stop.' And we were like, 'Why? Who are you?'"

The officers ordered both men to lie down on the ground. Tolan's parents heard the commotion and came outside. Police will only say an "altercation" took place. Tolan's family say it involved his mother.

"The cop pushed her against the wall," said Tolan's uncle, Mike Morris.

Relatives say Tolan started to lean up from the ground to ask the officer what he was doing to his mother. That's when the family says Tolan was shot in the chest, the bullet piercing his lung and then lodging in his liver.

But Tolan's SUV wasn't stolen. Both men were unarmed and relatives say they were hardly a threat to the police officer. Anger over the shooting has been building over the last week.


Most of this incidents are predicated on the initial cops assumptions based on race. While I don't have definitive proof that race was a factor in this case, after viewing the tape I'm pretty sure. It smacks too much on incidents that some people of color (me included) have had with cops. When you have some people tasked with protecting us who when interacting with people of color make certain assumptions and bring their prejudices with them, bad things happen.

And regarding the Oakland shooting, have you seen the tape where the cop punched Oscar Grant before he was shot. Was that another accident?
And if the cops were so sure they did the right thing, why did they attempt to confiscate cell phones and cameras?

New video shows BART officer punching Oscar Grant before he was shot
http://californiabeat.wordpress.com/...e-he-was-shot/
__________________
baiskeli is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 10:41 AM
  #59  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 7,989

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until the police departments, and individual cops, start taking responsibility for acting like human beings, and actually start turning in the troublemakers (lots of them) this will continue.

Believe me when I say I am a very staunch police supporter, as I have many friends, and relatives, in law enforcement, but; there is a huge housecleaning that needs to be done, if these guys/gals are ever going to get the respect they need.

These guys were flat out wrong, in their behavior, and should be held accountable, by denying them the ability to ever work in law enforcement again.

There are MANY, good, decent, proficient, fair, and honest cops out there, doing the job the way it should be done. ALL of those bullys should be gone!
Wanderer is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 11:05 AM
  #60  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
Please tell me your kidding. Don't you think the cops attitude in that case may have contributed to him shooting a subdued man in the back? The reason people are pissed off about the incident is because its yet another case of a non-white person being unjustifiably killed by a cop and people are making all kinds of excuses.

What about the 12 year old black girl who was beaten by plain clothes cops because they were out looking for a prostitute (who was white)
http://boingboing.net/2008/12/18/pla...es-police.html

As Dymond headed toward the breaker, a blue van drove up and three men jumped out rushing toward her. One of them grabbed her saying, “You’re a prostitute. You’re coming with me.”

Dymond grabbed onto a tree and started screaming, “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy.” One of the men covered her mouth. Two of the men beat her about the face and throat.

As it turned out, the three men were plain-clothed Galveston police officers who had been called to the area regarding three white prostitutes soliciting a white man and a black drug dealer.

After the incident, Dymond was hospitalized and suffered black eyes as well as throat and ear drum injuries.



Or the baseball player who was shot in his fathers driveway
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/08/baseballer.shot/

Tolan's relatives say the two young men had just arrived from a late-night run to a Jack-in-the-Box fast food restaurant.

As they walked up the driveway to their home, Anthony Cooper said an unidentified man emerged from the darkness with a flashlight and a gun pointed at them.

"We did not know it was a police officer," said Cooper. "He said, 'Stop. Stop.' And we were like, 'Why? Who are you?'"

The officers ordered both men to lie down on the ground. Tolan's parents heard the commotion and came outside. Police will only say an "altercation" took place. Tolan's family say it involved his mother.

"The cop pushed her against the wall," said Tolan's uncle, Mike Morris.

Relatives say Tolan started to lean up from the ground to ask the officer what he was doing to his mother. That's when the family says Tolan was shot in the chest, the bullet piercing his lung and then lodging in his liver.

But Tolan's SUV wasn't stolen. Both men were unarmed and relatives say they were hardly a threat to the police officer. Anger over the shooting has been building over the last week.


Most of this incidents are predicated on the initial cops assumptions based on race. While I don't have definitive proof that race was a factor in this case, after viewing the tape I'm pretty sure. It smacks too much on incidents that some people of color (me included) have had with cops. When you have some people tasked with protecting us who when interacting with people of color make certain assumptions and bring their prejudices with them, bad things happen.

And regarding the Oakland shooting, have you seen the tape where the cop punched Oscar Grant before he was shot. Was that another accident?
And if the cops were so sure they did the right thing, why did they attempt to confiscate cell phones and cameras?

New video shows BART officer punching Oscar Grant before he was shot
http://californiabeat.wordpress.com/...e-he-was-shot/
They are now investigating the second officer in that incident. They have no idea what happened since the first officer has not made a statement. People are calling to disarm the BART police. Maybe we should give them what they want and get rid of the BART police. Let the rest of the local departments state that BART is out of their jurisdiction. After all, the police have no contract with any individual to provide protection, only the general public at large.
You can list all the incidents with the police you want. Yes, they do happen. Between incidents the police cause, and incidents the criminals cause, which ones do you think would take up the most bandwidth? They've been happening since this country was formed. The marshalls that cleaned up western towns were almost as bad as the criminals themselves, and the people couldn't wait to get rid of them after the criminals were taken care of.
There's no way to prevent these incidents ahead of time, just like there's no real way to prevent crime.

I say again, if I behaved the way that woman did in that traffic stop, I expect to receive the same treatment she did.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 11:09 AM
  #61  
buzzman
----
 
buzzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
I've been pulled over for no reason, I've had a cop point a gun at me for the crime of jogging at 5:00am in the morning, but then my skin color may have had something to do with all those.

I've had bad interactions with police and even got stopped for not using my signal for at least 8 seconds before switching lanes (true story!).

Sure, the woman in the video did some stupid stuff, but I think the whole tone of the encounter was set by the police officer from the outset. And his decision to cite her MAY have been predicated on race (and class).

And even if she was a crack addict, there is absolutely no excuse for his conduct.
I took note that this occurred in the "arts district". I am an actor who travels frequently for film and theater jobs. I have been working with black actors at regional theaters (like La Jolla) or on location for films in predominantly white areas and it happens virtually every time that the black actors have at least one "incident" with the local cops until they are identified as being "with the play" or "with the movie". It's ridiculous and anyone who thinks this kind of thing doesn't go on all the time is kidding no one but themselves.

It has to stop and we all have to make a strong statement against cops that behave in this unlawful manner. Even the use of the word "crack" as opposed to "cocaine" gives credence to this kind of bias- cocaine is abused overwhelmingly by white people but in the rock (cheaper) form it is referred to as "crack". A black person with a small amount of "crack" is likely to serve a lengthy prison sentence a white person with a similar or often greater amount of "cocaine" will more than likely serve no time at all.

Guaranteed if this were a white woman with a small amount of marijuana on her, while I'm sure some of these hard core fundamentalists might still hold fast, more posters would share the outrage at this behavior.
buzzman is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 12:01 PM
  #62  
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 1,136

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
I took note that this occurred in the "arts district". I am an actor who travels frequently for film and theater jobs. I have been working with black actors at regional theaters (like La Jolla) or on location for films in predominantly white areas and it happens virtually every time that the black actors have at least one "incident" with the local cops until they are identified as being "with the play" or "with the movie". It's ridiculous and anyone who thinks this kind of thing doesn't go on all the time is kidding no one but themselves.

It has to stop and we all have to make a strong statement against cops that behave in this unlawful manner. Even the use of the word "crack" as opposed to "cocaine" gives credence to this kind of bias- cocaine is abused overwhelmingly by white people but in the rock (cheaper) form it is referred to as "crack". A black person with a small amount of "crack" is likely to serve a lengthy prison sentence a white person with a similar or often greater amount of "cocaine" will more than likely serve no time at all.

Guaranteed if this were a white woman with a small amount of marijuana on her, while I'm sure some of these hard core fundamentalists might still hold fast, more posters would share the outrage at this behavior.
And this is the crux of the matter. It just gets my goat when people seem to be blaming the victim because consciously or unconsciously, they know the likelihood of same happening to them is low (low, not non-existent, ask whites who got arrested on false charges at the RNC).
I doubt the same reaction would occur had the woman been white and carrying a small amount of marijuana.
On being in certain neighborhoods, my wife (whose white) used to live in Brookline MA. One time, we were walking down the street arm in arm and a cop car driving by came to a halt. The cop looked at my wife and asked her "Are you okay?". My wife was dumbfounded, as was I.

Anyway, didn't want to turn this into a thread about race or sound like I'm tarring all cops. There are good cops out there, but being naive and assuming that cops don't operate on their biases is naive and a luxury only afforded to someone white.
__________________
baiskeli is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 12:05 PM
  #63  
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 1,136

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
..The marshalls that cleaned up western towns were almost as bad as the criminals themselves, and the people couldn't wait to get rid of them after the criminals were taken care of.
There's no way to prevent these incidents ahead of time, just like there's no real way to prevent crime.

I say again, if I behaved the way that woman did in that traffic stop, I expect to receive the same treatment she did.
So we are now in the Wild west and non-white cyclists who decide to ride on the sidewalk for safety reasons are the equivalent of Butch Cassidy? Talk about false analogy.

I guess its all fun and games as long as those the cops mistreat don't look like you or are not related to you. But somewhere in the back of my mind is the poem that begins "When they came for..."

And I have white friends who have reacted very rudely and aggressively to police (in some cases justified). If I did what they did I would get bonked upside the head or slammed to the pavement. So there are times where cops have been total dicks to me but rather than 'assert' my rights I've swallowed my pride in the interests of getting out in one piece. This is something I shouldn't have to do.
__________________
baiskeli is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 12:27 PM
  #64  
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Posts: 13,696

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
Guaranteed if this were a white woman with a small amount of marijuana on her, while I'm sure some of these hard core fundamentalists might still hold fast, more posters would share the outrage at this behavior.
not if it happened on say, a critical mass ride, then the pundits here would all say that she 'deserved it'

randya is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 12:41 PM
  #65  
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 6,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by baiskeli View Post
So we are now in the Wild west and non-white cyclists who decide to ride on the sidewalk for safety reasons are the equivalent of Butch Cassidy? Talk about false analogy.

I guess its all fun and games as long as those the cops mistreat don't look like you or are not related to you. But somewhere in the back of my mind is the poem that begins "When they came for..."

And I have white friends who have reacted very rudely and aggressively to police (in some cases justified). If I did what they did I would get bonked upside the head or slammed to the pavement. So there are times where cops have been total dicks to me but rather than 'assert' my rights I've swallowed my pride in the interests of getting out in one piece. This is something I shouldn't have to do.
No, we're not still in the Wild West, but the attitude is still the same. WE want something done, but we don't really want the police to do what it will take, because that WILL violate rights. Most people don't get that, but some actually do. I assume that most on here get it.

I never said anything about what the woman looked like, YOU did. I focused on the actions of someone that wasn't stopping for the police. However picky, they made a legitimate stop, and she was the one that chose to escalate it. If I did exactly what that woman did when stopped by the police, I would expect to get slammed face down on the ground, have my arms wrenched behind me and wrists cuffed, and be charged in court.
Dchiefransom is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 01:02 PM
  #66  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 7,989

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have got to be kidding! Riding on the sidewalk, in the dark, in the fog, late at night, is reason to treat her the way they did???? The cop escalated it when he placed his arms around her, when she was not resisting. Then, they had the audacity to also charge her with improper lane usage???? They were just trying to cover their asses....... The whole arrest stinks!

If they can't do better than that, they don't belong in law enforcement!

I'll bet her original lawyer could be raped for malpractice for the original guilty plea.

Poisoned fruit comes to mind!
Wanderer is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 01:45 PM
  #67  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by -=£em in Pa=- View Post
And again, you would be wrong. This is why Im so adamant about this.
Cops do beat people down because they want to, all the time. People
who watch lots of Tv or have psychologically recused themselves from
reality dont believe this. Thats yours/their choice. But it can be you.
If you would like to expedite your comeuppance into reality, ride your
bicycle down a main artery in Johnson City Tennessee, hold up traffic
by 'taking the lane' and report back your experience with the local
police department.
.:edit:.
I see you are from Florida........This explains a lot to me.
No point in responding, further.
Again with the Liberal tactic of veiled insults and immaterial diatribe.

Tell you what you should do; you do away with the criminals and you do away with the need for law enforcement, which you seem to so adamantly fear.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 02:01 PM
  #68  
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels
 
Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Aurora, IL
Posts: 7,989

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We don't fear them! But, it sure would be nice if they would quit being bullies.

I wonder why all of them aren't like that......... I wonder, even more, why they don't get rid of the bad ones....
Wanderer is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 02:32 PM
  #69  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
We don't fear them! But, it sure would be nice if they would quit being bullies.

I wonder why all of them aren't like that......... I wonder, even more, why they don't get rid of the bad ones....
Well, I was specifically speaking to Lem about his...is it a paranoia or a phobia? However, "if "they" would quit being bullies"?

What if whites quit being rich, powerful and in charge?

What if cyclists quit being dope smoking, liberal, hippies out to save the world?

What if rednecks quit driving lifted 4x4 pick/ups with horns that play "Dixie"?

What if yuppies stopped wearing cashmere?

What if gun owners stop being violent psychopaths?

What if blacks...?

What if Latinos...?

What if Jews...?

What if the gays...?

"Oh but it's okay to stereotype cops, since they're the ones that stop us from doing whatever we want, whenever we want, regardless of the consequences and collateral damage." This is the same logic my kids used when they were three. As they grew older and more mature they came to learn that the big, mean enforcer is the one that keeps them from getting hurt by themselves or others, and keeps them from hurting others. Some adults never mature enough to understand this. People that make choices that bring their own problems on themselves; like this Sheila Stevenson person, for example.

Any of us are a lot more likely to be accosted by a criminal than a bad cop in any given place and at any given time.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 01-31-09 at 02:38 PM.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 03:00 PM
  #70  
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Posts: 13,696

Bikes: who cares?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
...learn that the big, mean enforcer is the one that keeps them from getting hurt by themselves or others, and keeps them from hurting others.
what a quaint, antiquated view of law enforcement you have

Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
Any of us are a lot more likely to be accosted by a criminal than a bad cop in any given place and at any given time.
Incorrect
randya is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 03:06 PM
  #71  
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya View Post
what a quaint, antiquated view of law enforcement you have
Case in point.

Originally Posted by randya View Post
Incorrect
Show me how.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 03:07 PM
  #72  
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Posts: 1,136

Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
Well, I was specifically speaking to Lem about his...is it a paranoia or a phobia? However, "if "they" would quit being bullies"?

What if whites quit being rich, powerful and in charge?

What if cyclists quit being dope smoking, liberal, hippies out to save the world?

What if rednecks quit driving lifted 4x4 pick/ups with horns that play "Dixie"?

What if yuppies stopped wearing cashmere?

What if gun owners stop being violent psychopaths?

What if blacks...?

What if Latinos...?

What if Jews...?

What if the gays...?

"Oh but it's okay to stereotype cops, since they're the ones that stop us from doing whatever we want, whenever we want, regardless of the consequences and collateral damage." This is the same logic my kids used when they were three. As they grew older and more mature they came to learn that the big, mean enforcer is the one that keeps them from getting hurt by themselves or others, and keeps them from hurting others. Some adults never mature enough to understand this. People that make choices that bring their own problems on themselves; like this Sheila Stevenson person, for example.

Any of us are a lot more likely to be accosted by a criminal than a bad cop in any given place and at any given time.
You're making an asinine argument.

So essentially if cops were not allowed to mistreat people and ignore their rights then society would break down? And in this lessons you teach your kids, do you also teach them about the concept of fairness and treating everyone equally irregardless of their race, class etc.

And I'll be honest, I'm more afraid of the cops than I am of criminals. And when I have kids, yes, I'll teach them to respect cops, but also to be very wary around them. Not learning this very simple lesson could cost them their lives.

And what was the collateral damage that Sheila Stevenson caused by riding on the sidewalk in the fog?

I can't believe we are arguing that holding cops to account will result in the total breakdown of society. I've lived in a totalitarian society and this is the same argument that is used. And it works as long as those being oppressed don't belong to your group.
So maybe you can't emphasize but believe me when I tell you this, the way a cop relates to me is totally different from the way they relate to you and maybe you need to pull your head out of your behind and recognize that, or at least acknowledge that some of us have reasons to be skeptical of giving police the benefits of the doubt.
__________________
baiskeli is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 03:47 PM
  #73  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
Between incidents the police cause, and incidents the criminals cause, which ones do you think would take up the most bandwidth?
What does that have to do with anything? Seriously?

The fact that criminals behave badly excuses bad behavior on the part of the police?
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 03:49 PM
  #74  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
Again with the Liberal tactic of veiled insults and immaterial diatribe.

Tell you what you should do; you do away with the criminals and you do away with the need for law enforcement, which you seem to so adamantly fear.
Are you one of those folks that sees everything in terms of Liberal vs. Conservative? The world is a much wider, more varied place than that.
apricissimus is offline  
Old 01-31-09, 03:51 PM
  #75  
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 2,334

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
However picky, they made a legitimate stop, and she was the one that chose to escalate it.
Ummm... did you watch the video?
apricissimus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.