Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Stopped at a 4-way and here's what happened.

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Stopped at a 4-way and here's what happened.

Old 01-15-10, 10:12 PM
  #1  
mondaycurse
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stopped at a 4-way and here's what happened.

To be clear, I always stop at 4-ways when other cars are coming at the same time and usually do a "rolling stop" when the intersection is clear.

Tonight I was riding home from work. Not 3 blocks into my commute, I stop at a 4-way at in a residential neighborhood. A white Silverado truck stops to my right (on the perpendicular road) about a second or two after me as I'm accelerating through the intersection. While 3/4 through, the pickup driver just couldn't stand waiting any longer and floors it, nearly hitting me. I did feel his bumper scuff my tire a little bit to give an idea of how close it was, and that impact is after I pedaled like hell to get out of the way. I turned around and followed him just long enough to get his license plate number (I don't look for fights) and head home.

Now that I'm home, I call the police on him. I have the license plate number, the location, time, everything. "So you're not hurt? I can't file anything unless someone was injured." I started to get a little angry.
"Excuse me just a moment, I need to pick my jaw off the floor. So you're saying that because he didn't succeed in running me over, you can't do anything?"
"Sorry sir."
"I guess you're right. It's not like trying to ram a cyclist with a Silverado is attempted murder or anything. May I speak to a sheriff or anyone else?" I'll probably try calling tomorrow hoping someone reasonable is working.

I did get to talk to another person, but got the same story. Except this one added a new twist. "And we can't really charge him with reckless driving either. You say he floored it, but maybe he just had a loud exhaust.."

Is there any way I can bypass their argument of treating this as a "potential traffic accident" and treating it as "intended harm?"
mondaycurse is offline  
Old 01-15-10, 10:18 PM
  #2  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,073

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
You need a witness.

Can you 100% ID the Driver?
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"


Last edited by 10 Wheels; 01-15-10 at 10:21 PM.
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 01-15-10, 10:19 PM
  #3  
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent
 
WalksOn2Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denton, TX
Posts: 5,510

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Wow, just unbelievable. My one tip is to not mention the rolling stop to the police. It will just give them an excuse to blame you/shuffle you aside. Just say you just left the stop sign and continue your story from there. If they ask you if you came to a complete stop, lie.

Place large emphasis on the effort you had to take to ensure NOT getting hit and the fact that your tire still got scraped. Put much emphasis on these two items and you should be able to illustrate why it should be added to the driver's record.
WalksOn2Wheels is offline  
Old 01-15-10, 10:48 PM
  #4  
Worldcyclotour
Junior Member
 
Worldcyclotour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 23

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your incident. You can demand that a report be filed. Nothing will probably come of it but if the drivers does end up hurting someone else, your report will carry some weight toward a possible conviction. Same sort of thing happened with the Thompson case in California where he was sentenced to five years prison. The prior reports weighed heavily in his conviction.
Worldcyclotour is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 02:09 AM
  #5  
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill
 
RacerOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brazil, IN
Posts: 3,370

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've almost been hit lots of times in my car, close doesn't count. Try to get them to make a report and call it quits.
RacerOne is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 03:11 AM
  #6  
GeorgeWerr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
Wow, just unbelievable. My one tip is to not mention the rolling stop to the police. It will just give them an excuse to blame you/shuffle you aside. Just say you just left the stop sign and continue your story from there. If they ask you if you came to a complete stop, lie.

Place large emphasis on the effort you had to take to ensure NOT getting hit and the fact that your tire still got scraped. Put much emphasis on these two items and you should be able to illustrate why it should be added to the driver's record.
He did come to a complete stop.
GeorgeWerr is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 03:34 AM
  #7  
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contact your city/county council person to complain about the police not taking a report of a reckless driver. Also note that previous reports about Dr. Thompson behavior (which the police did nothing other then take a report) played a significant role in convicting this guy when he finally did hurt someone.

Would someone pointing a gun at you to get you to move but did not fire be treated the same way? Being assaulted does not require you to be hurt, that is battery.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
https://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 03:34 AM
  #8  
crazyed27
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 618

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
F the police!!!!!!!!!!
crazyed27 is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 03:36 AM
  #9  
LoRoK
a.k.a. QUADZILLA
 
LoRoK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,505

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you felt him brush your tire, he hit you. I'd call the local news or something. Stir the pot.
LoRoK is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 03:40 AM
  #10  
crazyed27
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 618

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That dude had 5,000lbs of steel compared to your 200 or less lbs of meat and bike...the police will not react nowdays to a 2 wheel rider...it is a shame if you were on foot you would have been able to file a report..IMO.
crazyed27 is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 07:06 AM
  #11  
mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Friendsville, TN, USA
Posts: 1,171

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He said/she said = reasonable doubt.

I've been told by the police here that a police officer must witness a misdemeanor, they can't use a witness account. I can't find that law, same kind of thinking.
mandovoodoo is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 07:19 AM
  #12  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,535

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels View Post
If they ask you if you came to a complete stop, lie.
Why wouldn't/shouldn't the motorist also do the same if the truth is not convenient? Please explain your ethics.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 07:50 AM
  #13  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 7,010

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mondaycurse View Post
"Sorry sir."
Find the most beautiful young woman you can who will not mind lying on a police report. Give her some money and a script. Send her in person to the police station wearing a low cut blouse and a push-up bra. She should cry a little if she can and tell the cops that the truck incident just happened to her. The cops will drop all of their doughnuts, draw their weapons on each other and fire. The last cop standing will arrest the truck driver and ask your actress for a date. She should act interested until the Silverado driver is in the holding tank.

^^^This sounds like a joke, but pretty female cyclist I know get action on these things. Male cyclists....never that I have heard of.

BTW...The Law generally does not serve cyclists. Therefore, when I ride my bike, I pay little attention to The Law.

Finally...here is a 20 second video of mine that might make you smile a little: Truck Punch
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 07:58 AM
  #14  
Mr Danw
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: by the football hall of fame
Posts: 850
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If his truck touched you or your bike you should have reported it as a hit and run.
Mr Danw is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 09:05 AM
  #15  
bbeck
Senior Member
 
bbeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GallatinTn
Posts: 510

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Danw View Post
If his truck touched you or your bike you should have reported it as a hit and run.
i agree if they will not let you file a report call the local paper or tv news and let them know how little the local police care about hit and runs.
bbeck is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 09:41 AM
  #16  
mikeybikes
Senior Member
 
mikeybikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edgewater, CO
Posts: 3,214

Bikes: Tons

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a hit and run. Not sure where you're located, but in Colorado, its illegal not to report traffic collisions. The CSP even has a website online you can fill out to report traffic collisions in which the police were never involved.
mikeybikes is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 09:42 AM
  #17  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 25,335

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 740 Posts
write a letter and file a complaint. have it notorized and mail it certified return receipt. send an identical copy to your governors office and tell the police dept that you have done so. this driver needs to be know to the police dept. because it was an attempted assault. just because you escaped injury does not change the fact that you escaped. if someone tried to abduct a child but the child got away that does no diminish the fact that someone tried to abduct them. what's going on here is typical police bullsh*t. they have to know that they can't sweep this under the rug, and that's why you send it certified with a return receipt to prove to the governors office that you filed a formal complaint and the police dept refused your call, etc.

there's probably some mark on his truck from making contact with your tire. and that would be called evidence.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 11:36 AM
  #18  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,535

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
write a letter and file a complaint. have it notorized and mail it certified return receipt. send an identical copy to your governors office and tell the police dept that you have done so. this driver needs to be know to the police dept. because it was an attempted assault. just because you escaped injury does not change the fact that you escaped. if someone tried to abduct a child but the child got away that does no diminish the fact that someone tried to abduct them. what's going on here is typical police bullsh*t. they have to know that they can't sweep this under the rug, and that's why you send it certified with a return receipt to prove to the governors office that you filed a formal complaint and the police dept refused your call, etc.

there's probably some mark on his truck from making contact with your tire. and that would be called evidence.
You have an over-active imagination. Without a witness to this so-called "assault" and an admission of bad intent from the car driver, the OP will just be wasting his time as well as everybody else who gets his correspondence.

If your advice was sound, the jails and courts would be overflowing with people arrested on the say-so of cranks and nutcases making unsubstantiated accusations, as well as over-the-top exaggerations of others' evil intentions.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 12:08 PM
  #19  
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Posts: 9,352

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mondaycurse View Post
To be clear, I always stop at 4-ways when other cars are coming at the same time and usually do a "rolling stop" when the intersection is clear.

Tonight I was riding home from work. Not 3 blocks into my commute, I stop at a 4-way at in a residential neighborhood. A white Silverado truck stops to my right (on the perpendicular road) about a second or two after me as I'm accelerating through the intersection. While 3/4 through, the pickup driver just couldn't stand waiting any longer and floors it, nearly hitting me. I did feel his bumper scuff my tire a little bit to give an idea of how close it was, and that impact is after I pedaled like hell to get out of the way. I turned around and followed him just long enough to get his license plate number (I don't look for fights) and head home.

Now that I'm home, I call the police on him. I have the license plate number, the location, time, everything. "So you're not hurt? I can't file anything unless someone was injured." I started to get a little angry.
"Excuse me just a moment, I need to pick my jaw off the floor. So you're saying that because he didn't succeed in running me over, you can't do anything?"
"Sorry sir."
"I guess you're right. It's not like trying to ram a cyclist with a Silverado is attempted murder or anything. May I speak to a sheriff or anyone else?" I'll probably try calling tomorrow hoping someone reasonable is working.

I did get to talk to another person, but got the same story. Except this one added a new twist. "And we can't really charge him with reckless driving either. You say he floored it, but maybe he just had a loud exhaust.."

Is there any way I can bypass their argument of treating this as a "potential traffic accident" and treating it as "intended harm?"
Does you tire that was "brushed" show evidence of having been hit? If so photograph the damage and take that to the police. You should also have called 911 at the time that it happened and reported a hit-and-run.
Digital_Cowboy is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 12:18 PM
  #20  
Digital_Cowboy
Senior Member
 
Digital_Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tampa/St. Pete, Florida
Posts: 9,352

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Find the most beautiful young woman you can who will not mind lying on a police report. Give her some money and a script. Send her in person to the police station wearing a low cut blouse and a push-up bra. She should cry a little if she can and tell the cops that the truck incident just happened to her. The cops will drop all of their doughnuts, draw their weapons on each other and fire. The last cop standing will arrest the truck driver and ask your actress for a date. She should act interested until the Silverado driver is in the holding tank.

^^^This sounds like a joke, but pretty female cyclist I know get action on these things. Male cyclists....never that I have heard of.

BTW...The Law generally does not serve cyclists. Therefore, when I ride my bike, I pay little attention to The Law.

Finally...here is a 20 second video of mine that might make you smile a little: Truck Punch
What a hypocrite you are. It's okay for you to run red lights, and stop signs, but no one else can?

And yes, Joey the laws DO serve everyone equally. It is the LEOs on patrol and answering calls, it's the DA's office, and the Judges sitting in the court rooms who misinterpret the laws that don't "serve" cyclists. And one of the reasons that they (the LEOs, DA's, Judges) "misinterpret" the laws is because of riders like yourself who think that you are above the law.
Digital_Cowboy is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 02:41 PM
  #21  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 25,335

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 740 Posts
you missed my point of making this individual known to the police dept. not arrest; conviction and jail time. "waste of time" is only your opinion.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 06:02 PM
  #22  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,535

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
you missed my point of making this individual known to the police dept. not arrest; conviction and jail time. "waste of time" is only your opinion.
What the heck is "known to the police dept" supposed to mean? A file for crank letters? I imagine every Muslim (or pick your own group stereotyped for suspicious behavior/bad intentions) in the country would have a file opened on them based on unsubstantiated reports from obnoxious do-gooders/snitches with a hyper sensitive trigger for reporting any and all activities/people that look suspicious to their nervous eyes.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 06:05 PM
  #23  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,073

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
you missed my point of making this individual known to the police dept. not arrest; conviction and jail time. "waste of time" is only your opinion.
Please describe the driver of the said truck?
Thanks
10 Wheels is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 06:31 PM
  #24  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,535

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Please describe the driver of the said truck?
Thanks
Heck, start a file on everybody who drives a truck! For sure, for sure they must have done something that should be "known" by the police dept.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 01-16-10, 06:54 PM
  #25  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 25,335

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 740 Posts
when a person has a history of this behaviour it makes convicting them easier when they have a more serious offense. and it will make the next victim's story crediable when this guy gets reported again. when the idiot cops don't take down the informatoin they fail to develope a database of offenders and fail to connect the peices. same thing with terrorists - someone has to connect the dots.

I don't have time for you here. really think about it
rumrunn6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.