Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 06-21-13, 05:21 PM
  #5651  
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
Ok, that statement is worth my responding
"Why Ed, does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!"
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-21-13, 06:27 PM
  #5652  
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
I dont give a rats arse ABOUT my speling.
If you can't bothered to put any effort into your spelling, why should we believe that you've put any effort into your thinking?
Six jours is offline  
Old 06-21-13, 08:31 PM
  #5653  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
"Why Ed, does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!"
I'm Ed, are you Ted?
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 06-21-13, 09:24 PM
  #5654  
prathmann
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
"Bicycling accounts for about 2% of all head injuries, so not cycling still leaves you vulnerable to the other 98% - hardly perfect protection. And if you stop cycling you might well be doing more of some of the other activities such as driving and walking that contribute to the head injury numbers."

Exactly, so why subject yourself to a 2% greater chance? Besides the data you refer to cannot be accurately determined because they lump head injuries in bicycle accidents as motor vehicle/traffic accidents, in that vein the percentage is 17.3% which ranks that category in the top 3 reasons for head injuries; and of the top 5 causes for head injuries bicycling is rated #2; see: https://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/0...avoid-them.htm So your data is incorrect.
Just because the data you found is inconclusive since it lumps bike accidents together with other causes does not make the data I was using 'incorrect.' I was going by the number of brain injury deaths per year of all causes (56000 according to Kraus, J. F, and MacArthur, D. L. (1996) Epidemiologic Aspects of Brain Injury. Neurologic Clinics, 14(2): 435-450.). In contrast there are fewer than 1000 deaths due to bicycling of all causes, so even if all of them were due to head injuries it would still be less than 2%.

Your previous claim was that stopping cycling would provide perfect protection from head injury - clearly it would do nothing of the kind. Furthermore you'd be likely to substitute other activities, such as driving, walking, etc. that also have some risk of head injury. Most importantly, those who stop cycling are likely to reduce the total amount of exercise they do which increases the risk of far more common health risks such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, etc.

BTW, the statistics on percentage killed while helmeted vs. unhelmeted are all based on the FARS database which was brought into question by an analysis by Riley Geary
www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/riley_geary.pdf‎

No idea if their data has improved more recently, but it clearly had serious flaws in the past.
prathmann is offline  
Old 06-21-13, 09:35 PM
  #5655  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
Just because the data you found is inconclusive since it lumps bike accidents together with other causes does not make the data I was using 'incorrect.' I was going by the number of brain injury deaths per year of all causes (56000 according to Kraus, J. F, and MacArthur, D. L. (1996) Epidemiologic Aspects of Brain Injury. Neurologic Clinics, 14(2): 435-450.). In contrast there are fewer than 1000 deaths due to bicycling of all causes, so even if all of them were due to head injuries it would still be less than 2%.

Your previous claim was that stopping cycling would provide perfect protection from head injury - clearly it would do nothing of the kind. Furthermore you'd be likely to substitute other activities, such as driving, walking, etc. that also have some risk of head injury. Most importantly, those who stop cycling are likely to reduce the total amount of exercise they do which increases the risk of far more common health risks such as cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, obesity, etc.

BTW, the statistics on percentage killed while helmeted vs. unhelmeted are all based on the FARS database which was brought into question by an analysis by Riley Geary
www.adventurecycling.org/default/assets/resources/riley_geary.pdf‎

No idea if their data has improved more recently, but it clearly had serious flaws in the past.
Sorry the evidence that I showed is nationwide all over the internet that vastly more people have died not wearing helmets, statistics that I showed and other sites too numerous to list have nothing to do with FARS database, that are proven facts, sorry you can't accept proven facts. And the FARS database is not inaccurate I don't care what goofy site you came up with; read this on how their reporting is found and done: https://www.iihs.org/research/fars.aspx

It's amazing how some of you can believe whatever Obama tells you because he is the president, but can't believe the FARS that uses several sources for it's data. In your mind you want to believe that helmets are useless and you will not accept any outside facts that prove otherwise.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 06-22-13, 03:34 AM
  #5656  
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
It's amazing how some of you can believe whatever Obama tells you because he is the president, but can't believe the FARS that uses several sources for it's data. In your mind you want to believe that helmets are useless and you will not accept any outside facts that prove otherwise.
ಠ_ಠ
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-22-13, 09:48 PM
  #5657  
Kidballistic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98

Bikes: 84 Eddy Merckx, 92 RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love how this thread goes back and forth over statistics. The real argument should be seen in a larger context. It is a simple topic for me. If you chastise me for not wearing a helmet when I drive my car, or do other dangerous activities, then cool, I get it, you are logically concerned for people's safety. On the other hand, if you decide to be a helmet Nazi only when it comes to people on bicycles, I would consider you insane, and rightly so, because you are far more likely to suffer a head injury while in a motor vehicle. In fact, I have suffered several concussions in my life, none of which came from riding a bike.

Not to say that not wearing a helmet is for everyone. Older people, overweight people who fall badly, people with poor balance or no confidence on a bike... well, I would say it would be wise for them to wear a helmet. Certainly I would not badger them to do so though. Personally, I only wear mine when I feel like it. (aggressive mountain biking, aggressive, or riding in groups road biking.) Also, if you want to get serious, pass on the $200 piece of Styrofoam and get a real helmet. Like a Protec made for skate boarders, or maybe a BMX style helmet. Or for those that truly fear their heads bouncing off the pavement or the front end of a bus, a Motorcycle helmet.

It is absolutely silly to badger people about the risks of not wearing a helmet while cycling, but then not even give a second thought as to why you do not wear one while driving a car, or while playing a sport, or walking into a place of business that just waxed their floors...

Last edited by Kidballistic; 06-22-13 at 10:04 PM. Reason: cause I wanted to
Kidballistic is offline  
Old 06-23-13, 06:46 AM
  #5658  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,027

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 414 Posts
kid

Your logic is flawed saying a person should wear a helmet in a car. Bikes safety equiptment include a helmet. In a car you have THREE levels of safety equiptment already. Cars have crumple zones, seat belts, and air bags.

But then again talking auto, skateboarding, and other activitives is off topic for a cycling forum.
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-23-13, 06:56 AM
  #5659  
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
kid

Your logic is flawed saying a person should wear a helmet in a car. Bikes safety equiptment include a helmet. In a car you have THREE levels of safety equiptment already. Cars have crumple zones, seat belts, and air bags.
... and even with those things, still suffer high rates of injury, so your point is moot.

There is even less barrier to wearing a helmet in a car rather than on a bike. You're barely physically moving and have an air conditioner, so it isn't like you're going to get hot. You can take your helmet off at your destination and take your time fixing your helmet hair. I can think of fewer reasons to not wear a helmet in a car rather than reasons not to wear one on a bike, other than social pressures being different for each.

The fact cars have other safety measures doesn't matter, since there are still high rates of head injury after they have done their job (just like a helmet is a last line of defense after rider skill, good tires, good brakes, good lighting, etc); it follows logically what is good for the goose is good for the gander, and drivers would also benefit from helmet use.

But then again talking auto, skateboarding, and other activitives is off topic for a cycling forum.
This seems to be the common refrain of anyone not wanting to address the inconvenient question about why helmets aren't worn in activities with similar levels of risk. Which is no wonder, because it presents a logical inconsistency. Nevertheless, you can try and dodge the point by hand-waving it away as "off-topic", but when you're discussing comparative risk to discuss whether a helmet is necessary, comparing to other activities is absolutely appropriate.

Last edited by sudo bike; 06-23-13 at 07:04 AM.
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-23-13, 07:10 AM
  #5660  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7068 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
This seems to be the common refrain of anyone not wanting to address the inconvenient question about why helmets aren't worn in activities with similar levels of risk. Which is no wonder, because it presents a logical inconsistency. Nevertheless, you can try and dodge the point by hand-waving it away as "off-topic", but when you're discussing comparative risk to discuss whether a helmet is necessary, comparing to other activities is absolutely appropriate.
Such comparisons are only relevant when the activities and helmet construction are similar. If we go your way, then there's no reason pro-helmeteers shouldn't point out the proven and verifiable safety of motorcycle helmet use to prevent head injury during a crash. Certainly we should be able to apply that to the argument for helmet use on bicycles if such comparisons are appropriate to the discussion.

And if you think that wearing a helmet in a car (or in a shower, or walking along, or climbing a ladder...) would help prevent head injuries, it's would certainly be valid to claim that helmets worn while cycling also prevent head injuries.

Y'all gotta figure out which way you want it--can't have it both ways; can't say that helmet comparisons for activities other than cycling is relevant without accepting similar comparisons which are proven to not support your views.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-23-13, 09:12 AM
  #5661  
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Such comparisons are only relevant when the activities and helmet construction are similar. If we go your way, then there's no reason pro-helmeteers shouldn't point out the proven and verifiable safety of motorcycle helmet use to prevent head injury during a crash. Certainly we should be able to apply that to the argument for helmet use on bicycles if such comparisons are appropriate to the discussion.
Sure we can. We can show that it is, in fact, possible to design a helmet that successfully mitigates serious injury. Why wouldn't that be valid?

What would be invalid, is arguing that because motorcycle helmets are effective, bicycle helmets are effective. But I'm sure you weren't arguing that because a valid comparison can be made, all comparisons should be valid, were you?

And if you think that wearing a helmet in a car (or in a shower, or walking along, or climbing a ladder...) would help prevent head injuries, it's would certainly be valid to claim that helmets worn while cycling also prevent head injuries.
They can, sure. It's just a matter of design. And whether risk warrants use (for bikes, cars, whatever).
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 06:54 AM
  #5662  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,027

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 414 Posts
Arguing bike safety by diverting the thread off cycling is a weak argument. It is about as thin as soup made from the shadow of a starving chicken. This after all is a bike forum. Try to stay on topic.

The overridding fact about a bike helmet is wearing one may provide some protection, and after putting one on, a rider forgets he even has one on. The anti helmet types seem to think cyclist ride around chanting in their head, Im wearing a helemt, Im wearing a helmet, Im wearing a helmet. That just doesnt happen.
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 09:09 AM
  #5663  
ZmanKC
Senior Member
 
ZmanKC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 794

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
The overridding fact about a bike helmet is wearing one may provide some protection, and after putting one on, a rider forgets he even has one on.
That is an overgeneralization and not an accurate statement. On my commute home last Friday the temperature was 95° with a heat index of over 100°. I darn sure was aware that I was wearing a helmet.
ZmanKC is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 05:58 PM
  #5664  
Kidballistic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 98

Bikes: 84 Eddy Merckx, 92 RB-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
kid

Your logic is flawed saying a person should wear a helmet in a car. Bikes safety equiptment include a helmet. In a car you have THREE levels of safety equiptment already. Cars have crumple zones, seat belts, and air bags.

But then again talking auto, skateboarding, and other activitives is off topic for a cycling forum.
Ryda, I hate to say it, but you are not even close to using anything near rational logic. You see, because people DO wear helmets in cars. They are called race car drivers. They do so to protect their heads in crashes. To top it off they do it in cars that are FAR more safe than the one you drive to work in. They do it because they drive fast and are more likely to crash at high speeds. Keep up now with this logic train. You see, this is why I DO wear a helmet when I feel like I may engage in, whatever it is to my skill level, that which I deem to be risky cycling behavior. At all other times I do not wear a helmet. Also, yes, Styrofoam cycling helmets are **** when compared to a Skate, BMX, or a Motorcycle helmet. I have hit my head doing things, sports, car accidents, ugly, nasty fights, (well somebody else was hitting my head for me...) and I have never hit my head thus far while cycling. I have hit my head badly while skating a park style pool on rollerblades. I had a Protec skating helmet on, so I was fine. I am sure if I had a cycling helmet on I would have hurt my neck and my head. For me cycling is a very low risk affair, so I do not wear a helmet most times. I certainly believe that statistically I am far more likely to suffer a head injury while driving my car than I am while casually riding my bike. So, get on the mandatory helmets in cars argument, because then and only then will you be approaching a sound and logical argument.

Last edited by Kidballistic; 06-24-13 at 06:26 PM. Reason: cause I wanted to
Kidballistic is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 07:52 PM
  #5665  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,027

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 414 Posts
kid

Wrong again talking about race cars. The too are way off topic for a biking forum. And come to think about it they are way off topic for the ave car driver.
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-24-13, 11:40 PM
  #5666  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,000

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
kid

Wrong again talking about race cars. The too are way off topic for a biking forum. And come to think about it they are way off topic for the ave car driver.
Yeeeaaah...
You know, so are top end racing bikes like the cervelo S5 or the Specialized demo for the average cyclist.
But I bet you wouldn't do DH without a good fullface helmet and body armor. It's protection for the certain type of sport or activity.
Motorsports requires a full safety system including a helmet, neck brace, nomex suit etc.
The most hardcore mountain biking requires the body armor and full face helmet set (although in the 2012 red bull rampage one rider did the course with a t-shirt and shorts...)
Not gonna go to road cycling, since it should be everyone's own choice.
The average netherlandian everyday cyclist rarely requires any personal safety gear since the risks involved are so miniscule.

I think comparisons between speed sports are quite relevant, at least in some cases.
elcruxio is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 12:57 PM
  #5667  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
I think comparisons between speed sports are quite relevant, at least in some cases.
I would also tend to agree.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 03:32 PM
  #5668  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7068 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 52 Posts
From a different thread, but bears posting here:

Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
The key to understanding helmets is to understand what they do. There are two basic types of helmets. Those designed to protect the head from low mass moving objects, ie. construction hard hats, and hose designed to protect the moving head from impacts on hard immovable masses, ie. bike and MC helmets. Some have some overlap of both elements, but are still mainly one or the other.

For bike helmets, the object is to reduce the rate of decelleration of the head, so he brain has a smaller impact within the skull. They do this by starting the process sooner, and crushing until they reach the zero point, essentially increasing the total braking distance. The key's here therefore are total crush distance (thickness of the crushable material) and the crush rate.

Crush rate is tricky, because ideally you want to use the entire available distance from initial impact to zero speed. Too hard and it won't help much on low speed impacts, too high and it'll be crushed to zero too soon and not protect at higher speeds. Bike helmets are usually designed based on a speed comparable to falling 6-8', and so are fine for many bike crashes, but totally inadequate if, for example you with a brick wall at 15mph+.

Thicker crush zones allow a broader range of effectiveness, but that comes at a penalty of weight, increased likelihood of impact to the side, and increased torque on sliding impacts, which is a key consideration at higher speeds.

So there's no perfect answer, and you need to seek the best compromise, balancing weight and coolness with protection.

Understand, that a thicker, harder shell does not translate to a better bike helmet, unless you hit on a protrusion that would pierce a thinner shell, which is why no bike helmet is a substitute for a hard hat, and vice versa.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 04:09 PM
  #5669  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,777

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
You bring in an explanation of bicycle helmets that makes total sense to everyone involved here and you're going to ruin this thread's fung shui.
Next thing, we'll all be holding hands, singing kumbaya. A couple of us might even start making out in the bushes.

Seriously, though, I saw that post in the other thread. That's good stuff. Props to FBinNY!
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 06:53 PM
  #5670  
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
kid

Wrong again talking about race cars. The too are way off topic for a biking forum. And come to think about it they are way off topic for the ave car driver.

Yet you keep bringing up your damn tricycle.
Six jours is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 07:23 PM
  #5671  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,845

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
Oh, Please, How can you compare a helmet designed for 100+ MPH crashes to one that's designed for 12 or so MPH crashes...? Yes, Maybe they should up the anti and design one for 20+MPH crashes, but really, comparing different helmets meant for different uses is silly. JMO
350htrr is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 07:44 PM
  #5672  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,027

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked 693 Times in 414 Posts
six

My "damned trike"as you say, is a really fun relaxing way to cycle. Not all of us think that cycling involves being fully kitted, being a slave to a certain cadence, and doing a spread sheet on heart rate. And yes I still wear my helmet when I ride my trike.
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 09:06 PM
  #5673  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
six

My "damned trike"as you say, is a really fun relaxing way to cycle. Not all of us think that cycling involves being fully kitted, being a slave to a certain cadence, and doing a spread sheet on heart rate. And yes I still wear my helmet when I ride my trike.
You know what I don't like about trikes? This is the only thing I don't like about them, and that is when I'm riding on a bike path and around the bend comes a trike, I have to slam the brakes on and ride off the path in the grass because the freaking trike takes up the whole path! At least around where I live the city didn't build the paths wide enough in some areas for a trike and bike to pass. And in the areas they did build it wide enough leaves the bike with about 1 to 2 inches with a rail on one side and the trike on the other, and of course the trike isn't hugging the edge of the path so I end up again with no space. And the trike rider acts like they own the path...I guess they do because they take up the whole path.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 09:55 PM
  #5674  
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
Yet you keep bringing up your damn tricycle.
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
six

My "damned trike"as you say, is a really fun relaxing way to cycle. Not all of us think that cycling involves being fully kitted, being a slave to a certain cadence, and doing a spread sheet on heart rate. And yes I still wear my helmet when I ride my trike.
lol, oh man, I'm cryin' here!
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-25-13, 10:16 PM
  #5675  
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
six

My "damned trike"as you say, is a really fun relaxing way to cycle. Not all of us think that cycling involves being fully kitted, being a slave to a certain cadence, and doing a spread sheet on heart rate. And yes I still wear my helmet when I ride my trike.
This is a bicycle website. Quit trying to distract from the issues with your tricycle nonsense.
Six jours is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.