Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 12-18-13, 10:52 AM
  #6551  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
If you're talking to me, that was pretty much my point. (I was asking if he agreed with something another person wrote).

I said earlier that it's safer to NOT bash your head on the ground in the first place, and if person has a low probability of doing so then a helmet is pointless. And that we should respect people's own evaluations of their risks and capabilities. That respect should be extended to people on any side of the issue IMO.
Then we're OK with each other's decision. I was responding directly to the "wouldn't you agree.... are they vain....." you stated in your opening premise.

All too many of those who chose to wear helmets look down on those of us who don't, as ignorant neanderthals. (Many of) the helmeted simply cannot accept that it's possible to make a reasoned decision that's different that theirs.

I don't know how often you hear "what's that on your head?" or Yo! planning to fall?" or whatever, but non helmet wearers are constantly assaulted by "where's your helmet?" from sanctimonious helmet wearers. Nowadays I hear it from non cyclists as well. Mothers yell at me because I'm a bad example for their children, and motorists feel free to add to the chorus, as they pass.

Feel free to "educate" newbies about helmets, but when you see someone riding in control, who looks like maybe he's experienced, figure that by now he's heard it all. If he chooses to forgo a helmet it's a reasoned decision, so stifle the urge to proselytize.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-18-13 at 10:55 AM.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 10:55 AM
  #6552  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,492

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 353 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
FB

BTW we all pay dearly thru the nose in the price of a car for all the safety equiptment that the Fed b'crat nannies ordain that we must buy on our cars.
Darn them to heck. My baseball cap could be marketed and sold at every zoot suit LBS as a $200 SuperDuper Helmet with Head SavingTechnology™ if it weren't for those evil b'crat nannies and their stupid rules and regulations.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 11:00 AM
  #6553  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Really-----------what is the bottom line here of riders that dont want to wear helmets. Are they too vain, have a hairy chested idea they are such good rider, or simply dont understand the fact that the unexpected can happen to anyone. If a helmet only prevents road rash to the head isnt it worth wearing one.
I hate to get personal, but I find this impassioned helmet safety argument coming from someone who chooses to ride on roads with his head carefully positioned at car bumper or grill height somewhat paradoxical.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 11:03 AM
  #6554  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Then we're OK with each other's decision. I was responding directly with the "wouldn't you agree.... are they vain....." you stated in your opening premise. ...
Ah I see - you didn't see the string of four posts and took it out of context. That was more a closing statement than an opening premise.

I asked 350httr if he wouldn't agree with something quoted from another writer (rydabent). Because, although both were advocating helmet use, 350htr had a more balanced viewpoint than the other writer. I'm asking if he disagreed with what rydabent wrote. He did disagree with it. You disagree with it. I disagree with it.

You're arguing with me, evidently basing it on what you imagined that I probably wrote. I'm on the same side as you, having made the same arguments. Geeze, it must be something about this thread.

Does it help if I put it this way?

So in principle you would not agree with:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Are they too vain, have a hairy chested idea they are such good rider, or simply dont understand the fact that the unexpected can happen to anyone. If a helmet only prevents road rash to the head isnt it worth wearing one.

Last edited by wphamilton; 12-18-13 at 11:12 AM.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 11:13 AM
  #6555  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
Ah I see - you didn't see the string of four posts and took it out of context. That was more a closing statement than an opening premise.

I asked 350httr if he wouldn't agree with something quoted from another writer (rydabent). ...
Right, I didn't see the post you referenced, nor do I try to remember who's who on this thread.

However as an aside, opening a statement with "wouldn't you agree...." is usually a rhetorical device of persuasion, implying that the following is assumed true. Which is what I inferred.

If the intent is that what follows in untrue, a negative context, such as "wouldn't you disagree....." or otherwise indicating that what followed was a falsehood, or that you as the writer disagreed with it would be clearer.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 11:17 AM
  #6556  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 223 Posts
But I said "you wouldn't agree", not "wouldn't you agree" as you have it. Rhetorical device of persuasion implying the DISagreeing is assumed true. Cheap trick yes, but you've reversed the wording.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 11:24 AM
  #6557  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
But I said "you wouldn't agree", not "wouldn't you agree" as you have it. Rhetorical device of persuasion implying the DISagreeing is assumed true. Cheap trick yes, but you've reversed the wording.
You're right. I think I may have "minority paranoia" on this thread and read everything defensively. In this case it had me resequencing the words to produced the implication I expected.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:25 PM
  #6558  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
You're right. I think I may have "minority paranoia" on this thread and read everything defensively. In this case it had me resequencing the words to produced the implication I expected.
I was about to say I should be more clear. It's this thread, it's an unhealthy atmosphere.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:30 PM
  #6559  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
.... It's this thread, it's an unhealthy atmosphere.
Kind of like that on Venus. This thread needs an "I don't wear a helmet" icon or emoticon so we know who we are.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:41 PM
  #6560  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,850

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Kind of like that on Venus. This thread needs an "I don't wear a helmet" icon or emoticon so we know who we are.
But if you don't wear your space suit helmet on Venus you would die for sure... Come on ADMIT it, it's better to wear your helmet sometimes...
350htrr is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:41 PM
  #6561  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,305

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Kind of like that on Venus. This thread needs an "I don't wear a helmet" icon or emoticon so we know who we are.
I actually find this to be he case with almost all of the A&S forum. Its nigh on impossible to recall who is coming form what angle especially when related to VC, lane taking, bike lane, no lane, Copenhagen, bike paths, MUPs and so on. Then there is the general argumentative tone and I cannot keep up with who is what and what is who. Its like a dark bramble bush infested forest at dusk.

I've seen more than one case of two people arguing the same point from the same side for multiple posts here, so you are not alone at all FB.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:43 PM
  #6562  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,305

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
But if you don't wear your space suit helmet on Venus you would die for sure...
Are you sure about that? Or is it more A&S dogma? Is there a peer reviewed study you can cite? You are just making this up, admit it.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:45 PM
  #6563  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
But if you don't wear your space suit helmet on Venus you would die for sure... Come on ADMIT it, it's better to wear your helmet sometimes...
Do I need to scroll the entire thread to decide if the second part is facetious or not? I'll just assume it is.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:46 PM
  #6564  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Its like a dark bramble bush infested forest at dusk.

.
With feral dogs, bear traps and land mines.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:47 PM
  #6565  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,850

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Are you sure about that? Or is it more A&S dogma? Is there a peer reviewed study you can cite? You are just making this up, admit it.
It's a bonafide FACT, sometimes a helmet can save your life, as in the Venus incident...
350htrr is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:54 PM
  #6566  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,305

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
It's a bonafide FACT, sometimes a helmet can save your life, as in the Venus incident...
If you can offer no proof wrt Venus, then its your opinion, not a fact. (You do know I am messing with you, using typical A&S methodologies, right?)
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 12:56 PM
  #6567  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Part of the problem in this thread and a possible reason for so much confusion and acrimony is that it blends multiple interlocked but different issues.

For those who wear helmets is legitimate discussion about relative safety of various helmets, helmet standards, and helmet technological progress. They wear helmets and have every reason to be concerned.

Those issues don't affect those of who don't wear helmets, since we're unaffected. However we have legitimate concerns about the assumption that bicycling is dangerous, and that there are those who'd make helmets mandatory. We also have issues with image and how we're barraged by well meaning? folks who can't resist proselytizing us.

Lastly helmet wearer or not, we all need to be concerned with how bicycling and the "need" to wear helmets is view by outsiders, who may at some feel compelled to do something "for your own safety", or because of the externalities which many here insist on bringing up. That's a real concern because it extends beyond helmets, and can affect our rights to ride public roads.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 01:11 PM
  #6568  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,850

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
If you can offer no proof wrt Venus, then its your opinion, not a fact. (You do know I am messing with you, using typical A&S methodologies, right?)
Yea, I'm just messing too, trying to weedle a, yes helmets can save a life answer out of you guys... Even if it's only on Venus...
350htrr is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 01:26 PM
  #6569  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
Yea, I'm just messing too, trying to weedle a, yes helmets can save a life answer out of you guys... Even if it's only on Venus...
Dunno about that, you have no data that a fall in 93 bar pressure is dangerous. (I'm ignoring the obvious point about what you're protecting against, just 'cause.)

Besides, in that pressure and heat you're in an enclosed structure not outside with a suit and helmet. Always alert for a breach, because super-heated sulfuric acid won't allow much slack. So when you're riding your bike around in the corridors of Venus Station you probably don't want your senses dulled by a helmet.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 01:27 PM
  #6570  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,305

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure I will agree with that, helmets can save live, maybe even on venus. I do believe helmets can save lives, but I am agreement with FB, in that the frequency of lives saved in so low as to making my wearing one unnecessary. Thats my evaluation of the risk of the kind of recreational and transportational cycling I do.

Everyone else needs to evaluate their own risk and make their own determination if wearing a helmet is necessary in their circumstances. The only reason I have even the slightest interest in this novella of a thread is that several times a year, some well meaning but ill informed cyclist will sing out at me wheres your helmet some such glop. Usually I smile and wave, but it irks me that some people can be so self righteous as to think they have a right to call me out for not wearing a helmet, or that they so believe that theirs is the only valid opinion such that I need to conform to their view of cycling safety.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 08:08 PM
  #6571  
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
Everyone measures their chances of injury differently depending on what they are doing...
And yet for some reason you insist that in this particular case anyone who doesn't "measure their chance of injury" the same as you must be brain damaged.
Six jours is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 08:09 PM
  #6572  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
And yet for some reason you insist that in this particular case anyone who doesn't "measure their chance of injury" the same as you must be brain damaged.
Would that be before or after they didn't wear their helmet?
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 08:14 PM
  #6573  
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post

I don't know how often you hear "what's that on your head?" or Yo! planning to fall?" or whatever...
I've mentioned it before, but I was an "early adopter" of hardshell helmets. I think I started wearing one on club rides about 1986 or so, and a lot of the "old guard" wouldn't get near me. I think they assumed that I was planning on crashing a lot or something. At any rate, I certainly took my share of insults from fellow riders.
Six jours is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 08:17 PM
  #6574  
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Posts: 3,850

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
And yet for some reason you insist that in this particular case anyone who doesn't "measure their chance of injury" the same as you must be brain damaged.
NO, I just think they are making a mistake... Doesn't mean that I am right... Doesn't mean they are right either... JMO.
350htrr is offline  
Old 12-18-13, 08:28 PM
  #6575  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4366 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
I've mentioned it before, but I was an "early adopter" of hardshell helmets. I think I started wearing one on club rides about 1986 or so, and a lot of the "old guard" wouldn't get near me. I think they assumed that I was planning on crashing a lot or something. At any rate, I certainly took my share of insults from fellow riders.
If I remember correctly that far back, 1986 wouldn't have made you an early adopter, at least not in the Northeast. By then hard helmets were pretty well established among serious club riders. However I do agree that the true early adopters got a decent amount of ribbing, though that faded away within the first few years.

As I remember, the helmet early adopters among the folks I rode with back then, were those who had the most accidents. After hearing some of these telling their 3rd "the helmet saved my life" story, I concluded that as an alternative to wearing a helmet, I'd just keep distance from some of these bozos (not because of the helmet, but because of how they rode).
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
FBinNY is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.