Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 02-22-14, 11:33 AM
  #6951  
dynodonn 
Out on Parole
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,466
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
In, before the mods get a hold of this thread.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 11:34 AM
  #6952  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the article. Always have.
Unfortunately, "cars r god" mindset is as american as fat, violence and bad tv
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 11:40 AM
  #6953  
FBinNY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Got Good use from my helmet in 16 mph crash Jan 11,2014.

Helmet with the damaged area removed.

Let's not make this a helmet debate. There's a helmet thread for that. Let's focus on the broad safety issues, in which helmets may play a part, but only a part.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 11:45 AM
  #6954  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,068

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Let's not make this a helmet debate. There's a helmet thread for that. Let's focus on the broad safety issues, in which helmets may play a part, but only a part.
No debate from me....just my 2 cents after 57,000 miles.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 11:46 AM
  #6955  
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Posts: 32,068

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
In, before the mods get a hold of this thread.
Too late...helmet wearing Mod.
__________________
Fred "The Real Fred"

10 Wheels is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 01:26 PM
  #6956  
dynodonn 
Out on Parole
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,466
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Too late...helmet wearing Mod.
Ah, I see how it is.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 03:10 PM
  #6957  
Spld cyclist
Senior Member
 
Spld cyclist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 1,060

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He thinks that segregated cycling infrastructure *should* be in the top 10. What are the other 9? It would be nice if he would fill us in.
Spld cyclist is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 03:44 PM
  #6958  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,466
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2815 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 362 Posts
(It's another anti "mandatory helmet law" argument.)

The "top 10 of things that keep cycling safe" don't really exist in many places in the US.

What does a long-range future "paradise" do for cyclists now?

It might make sense to work towards that "paradise" but it isn't relevant cyclists should (or shouldn't) do today. (Unless he thinks that people should not cycle until those things are implemented).
njkayaker is online now  
Old 02-22-14, 03:47 PM
  #6959  
Looigi
Senior Member
 
Looigi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 8,951
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Let's not make this a helmet debate..
Given the article, what else could this possibly be? The article is a one sided anti helmet rant. Not only is he anti helmet, he blows of any discussion of helmets as a waste of time.
Looigi is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 05:54 PM
  #6960  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,535

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 592 Times in 382 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
In, before the mods get a hold of this thread.
"In" with what?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 02-22-14, 11:04 PM
  #6961  
dynodonn 
Out on Parole
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,466
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
"In" with what?
You can be real slow at times.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 02-23-14, 12:10 AM
  #6962  
CbadRider
Senior Member
 
CbadRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the bridge with Picard
Posts: 5,935

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
In, before the [strike]mods[/strike] admins get a hold of this thread.
Helmet discussion belongs in the helmet thread.

Merged.
__________________
Originally Posted by Xerum 525 View Post
Now get on your cheap bike and give me a double century. You walking can of Crisco!!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
CbadRider is offline  
Old 02-23-14, 12:43 AM
  #6963  
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Which proves - as if we needed further proof - that no helmet discussion is allowed at Bike Forums. Any mention of helmets (a least, any mention of helmets that is less than 100% pro-helmet) gets dumped into the A&S cesspool as soon as it is seen by the moderation team. (And FWIW, I think the moderators generally do a very good job here.)

It's sad, though, because Boardman brings some much needed reality to the whole issue, and it's also sad that the blindly pro-helmet crowd sees it as "anti-helmet" rather than "bicycling just isn't that dangerous, or at least doesn't have to be" as Boardman (and a bunch of other cyclists) is trying to point out.
Six jours is offline  
Old 02-23-14, 07:39 AM
  #6964  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,090

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 433 Posts
Six

Yup we agree on one thing, cycling is not that dangerous. At least for me. I ride a LWB recumbent that cant flip me over the handle bars, and I wear a helmet. Common sense and logic go a long way to make a person a safer rider.
rydabent is offline  
Old 02-23-14, 02:59 PM
  #6965  
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 13,643
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Six

Yup we agree on one thing, cycling is not that dangerous. At least for me. I ride a LWB recumbent that cant flip me over the handle bars, and I wear a helmet. Common sense and logic go a long way to make a person a safer rider.
Every time you post this, you remind me of Arte Johnson tipping over on his tricycle on Laugh-In. Seems you really do need a helmet, so that when you tip over on your bent, you do not cave in the side of your head on the curb.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline  
Old 02-23-14, 03:06 PM
  #6966  
FBinNY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Helmet discussion belongs in the helmet thread.

Merged.
Overzealous moderation. I started this thread separately because Boardman spoke about moving bicycle safety discussion away from helmets to a bigger picture. As such it was DEFINITELY NOT a helmet thread, and should have been left where it was.

Question to the mods and everybody here. Is it IMPOSSIBLE to discuss bicycle safety here on BF without making it about helmets (one way or the other)? Or does that violate some kind of religious dogma that says that the only way to be safe is to wear a helmet, and any discussion of safety without saying "wear a helmet" is heretical?

If so, BF should drop the Safety out of A&S and call it the A&H forum.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-23-14 at 03:28 PM.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 07:45 AM
  #6967  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,090

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 433 Posts
10

In the photo you posted, I see a damaged helmet, but I DO NOT see any damage to your head. Again this is real world proof that helmets in many cases do exactly what they are designed to do. The anti helmet crowd absolutely hate real world situations like that. They will post 50 research papers that say that wouldnt happen. It is kind of a deal where we have the real world vs the easter bunny.
rydabent is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 07:47 AM
  #6968  
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 12,466
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2815 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 362 Posts
The article mentions helmets about 15 times. It's also a standard (often repeated) anti MHL argument.
njkayaker is online now  
Old 02-24-14, 08:02 AM
  #6969  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,090

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 433 Posts
cb

I do not tip over when I am riding my trike.
rydabent is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 08:14 AM
  #6970  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Boardman says helmets not even top 10 regarding safe riding; LAB puts helmet use last of five in their list of safe riding attributes.

Helmet =/= safe riding. May help in a crash, but not very meaningful in the greater category of safely operating a bicycle on roads or trails.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 11:02 AM
  #6971  
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8,516
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Helmet =/= safe riding. May help in a crash, but not very meaningful in the greater category of safely operating a bicycle on roads or trails.
Same is true with seatbelts and airbags...may help in a crash but not very meaningful in the greater category of safely operating a motor vehicle on roads or highways.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 11:04 AM
  #6972  
FBinNY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Boardman says helmets not even top 10 regarding safe riding; LAB puts helmet use last of five in their list of safe riding attributes.

Helmet =/= safe riding. May help in a crash, but not very meaningful in the greater category of safely operating a bicycle on roads or trails.
Don't waste your breath (or fingers). The helmet thread is like an old fashioned religious revival with testimony by those who've seen the light and been saved. These people see ANY discussion of safety that does not say that helmets are the best way to be safe as anti-helmet heresy.

They've also created a fictitious "anti-helmet" straw man to shut down any discussion as the ravings of "anti-helmet" zealots.

My Chris Boardman thread was not started on the helmet thread, and was intended to spark consideration of the bicycle safety bigger picture. However the helmet true believers couldn't resist jumping in with their "my helmet saved my life comments (including a mod who should have known better) and hijacked it, causing it to be merged here, where intelligent discussion is impossible.

To the helmet zealots here. Please wear your helmets, and continue your preaching if you wish. But please also allow those of us who feel that there are other (maybe better) ways to improve bicycle safety to post elsewhere without censoring by jumping in with your helmet commentary and causing the mods to merge them into the helmet thread.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-24-14 at 11:12 AM.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 12:25 PM
  #6973  
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,777

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
Don't waste your breath (or fingers). The helmet thread is like an old fashioned religious revival with testimony by those who've seen the light and been saved. These people see ANY discussion of safety that does not say that helmets are the best way to be safe as anti-helmet heresy.

They've also created a fictitious "anti-helmet" straw man to shut down any discussion as the ravings of "anti-helmet" zealots.

My Chris Boardman thread was not started on the helmet thread, and was intended to spark consideration of the bicycle safety bigger picture. However the helmet true believers couldn't resist jumping in with their "my helmet saved my life comments (including a mod who should have known better) and hijacked it, causing it to be merged here, where intelligent discussion is impossible.

To the helmet zealots here. Please wear your helmets, and continue your preaching if you wish. But please also allow those of us who feel that there are other (maybe better) ways to improve bicycle safety to post elsewhere without censoring by jumping in with your helmet commentary and causing the mods to merge them into the helmet thread.
Oh please. This happens on both sides with equal vigor.
When someone posts outside of this thread with a thread along the lines of, "Which helmet should I get?" or "Is this helmet better than that?" or even, "What color helmet should I get?" The true believers who have been liberated to follow the Bare-Head Brigade mantra, descend on them with a vengeance. And those thread get relegated here, as well.
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 12:29 PM
  #6974  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7069 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
Same is true with seatbelts and airbags...may help in a crash but not very meaningful in the greater category of safely operating a motor vehicle on roads or highways.
Except seatbelts and airbags are verified to provide way more protection in car wrecks than helmets regarding bicycle crashes. Apples, oranges, and absolutely nothing to donwith either bicycle safety or bicycle helmets. Nothing. False equivalence.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 02-24-14, 12:38 PM
  #6975  
FBinNY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5 View Post
Oh please. This happens on both sides with equal vigor.
When someone posts outside of this thread with a thread along the lines of, "Which helmet should I get?" or "Is this helmet better than that?" or even, "What color helmet should I get?" The true believers who have been liberated to follow the Bare-Head Brigade mantra, descend on them with a vengeance. And those thread get relegated here, as well.
Except that "which helmet to buy" is a legitimate helmet issue, whereas how best to improve bicycle isn't one.

Part of the irony here is that Mr. Boardman was addressing the MHL question, not helmets per se. It seems that many here claim very vehemently to be opposed to MHLs, yet somehow declares anyone else who speaks against them to be anti-helmet. With friends like those, opponents of MHLs don't need enemies.
FBinNY is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.