Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 04-03-14, 11:37 AM
  #7351  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,034

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12886 Post(s)
Liked 7,802 Times in 4,140 Posts
Yeah, I tried Brooks-style saddle (an Ideale, the French Brooks) for a couple of years. Carrying around plastic bags, massaging it with exotic oils and waxes, cleaning the mold and mildew off of it, towards the end of life tightening that nut...

I'm just glad the Charge Spoon works for me and they're only $28.
SDG Belair is another one of my favorites, for a little more money usually.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 04-03-14, 02:15 PM
  #7352  
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,777

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Is there a Brooks thread somewhere? The Brooks H8Rs need a place to vent.

MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 04-03-14, 02:46 PM
  #7353  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,993

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
Originally Posted by Petsamo
I rode when I was young but I'm now 50. I need a seat & helmet recommendation.

If I ride more than 5 miles, my nuts get numb. I hear seats these days accomodate men's genitals. I understand I have to wear bicycle shorts. Anyone have a seat they like?

Regarding helmets, I need a helmet that will either prevent sweat from getting into my eyes or keep clear of my forehead so the wind will allow my sweat to dry before the sweat gets into my eyes.

Seat & helmet recommendations need to have a make & model so I can do a search or have a link provided.

Thanks.
...Saddle that works for me: Performance Forte (house brand) Classic model.
It has one of those cutout things in the taint area that relieves pressure on your scranus.

...Helment that I use is a Bell Variant, but any of the Bell helments with the three point
suspension system inside (similar to a hard hat, with a rear adjustment wheel) ought to do.

Buy extra helment pad liners, so you can rinse or wash them and let them dry while you rotate them.
3alarmer is online now  
Old 04-03-14, 02:50 PM
  #7354  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,993

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
After years of trying to make a Brooks work (switched to team pro in middle of all that as they were said to be firmer) I finally got a plastic saddle and it provides the same repeatable firm ride no matter the temperature, humidity or how much I sweat into it.
...back in ancient times, when they first came out with those Avocet saddles with plastic shells, leather covers, and high density foam padding,
it didn't take me long to realize that i preferred a consistent, repeatable performance result to the prior generation of decent all leather saddles.
3alarmer is online now  
Old 04-03-14, 03:00 PM
  #7355  
Senior Member
 
John C. Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 1,914

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
You can get closer then hit and miss when it comes to saddles by measuring your sit bones distance, some bike shops have a special pad you can do that on, or you can do it yourself by setting on a block of styrofoam or a corrugated cardboard etc.

John C Ratliff; the comment you made about a Brooks B17 taking a year to break in is only true if you only ride less than 800 miles a year. The average break in time for one of those saddles is between 500 to 800 miles, on rare occasion I have heard of 300 miles but I think those people over used the Proofide which will shorten the life of the saddle. When I broke mine in I used no Proofide and it took about 800 miles, After it broke in I started to use the Proofide about once every 6 months. Brooks saddles by the way should never be treated with oil or water for breaking in, it will ruin the saddle in short order especially the heavier the rider is.
rekmeyata,

I ride on three bicycles, my Rivendell Rambouillet, a Trek 1420 and my Rans Stratus recumbent. It is the Rambouillet which has the Brooks saddle on it, and because I share my ride time mostly between the two (Rambouillet and Startus), it took a year.

I used a baseball cap under my Nutcase helmet today, and had a great and comfortable ride too. The Nutcase helmet (a hard shell helmet) has an small open spot on top for the foam liner so the button doesn't press down on my head.

John

Last edited by John C. Ratliff; 04-03-14 at 03:08 PM.
John C. Ratliff is offline  
Old 04-03-14, 09:40 PM
  #7356  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,690

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by John C. Ratliff
rekmeyata,

I ride on three bicycles, my Rivendell Rambouillet, a Trek 1420 and my Rans Stratus recumbent. It is the Rambouillet which has the Brooks saddle on it, and because I share my ride time mostly between the two (Rambouillet and Startus), it took a year.

I used a baseball cap under my Nutcase helmet today, and had a great and comfortable ride too. The Nutcase helmet (a hard shell helmet) has an small open spot on top for the foam liner so the button doesn't press down on my head.

John
I seriously doubt if the couple of Brooks naysayers actually ever owned one. Ancient times? Funny there are pro riders using leather saddles on their training rides to this day. Messaging it with exotic oils and waxes? that was your problem you used oil. After the first 1,000 miles it was less comfortable? Because you didn't follow the directions and tighten the spanner after break in. There is a reason why there are more Brooks saddles on touring bikes than any other saddle; of course a person does have to pick the right Brooks saddle for the specific type of bicycle they're going to put it on, and of course there is no such thing as one perfect saddle for all people that's why there are other types of saddles that people who tour use because what works for one person may not work for another.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 04-03-14, 10:23 PM
  #7357  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,993

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I seriously doubt if the couple of Brooks naysayers actually ever owned one. Ancient times? Funny there are pro riders using leather saddles on their training rides to this day. Messaging it with exotic oils and waxes? that was your problem you used oil. After the first 1,000 miles it was less comfortable? Because you didn't follow the directions and tighten the spanner after break in. There is a reason why there are more Brooks saddles on touring bikes than any other saddle; of course a person does have to pick the right Brooks saddle for the specific type of bicycle they're going to put it on, and of course there is no such thing as one perfect saddle for all people that's why there are other types of saddles that people who tour use because what works for one person may not work for another.
...classic Yeah, bud, I never owned one. I think maybe I've had a dozen, and still have maybe five or six.

For what they are, they are both overpriced and overhyped. The fact that there are some guys who have
Brooks saddles that they like notwithstanding, this appears to be your argument approach to everything. #gmafb
3alarmer is online now  
Old 04-03-14, 10:34 PM
  #7358  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
The trouble with the Brooks-O-philes is that they have found the right saddle for them and assume that it must therefore be the right saddle for everyone else. I personally have always wanted to be a Brooks-O-phile but spent decades trying them without success. Eventually I determined that in order to make them work for me, my handlebars simply have to be higher than the saddle. It took a neck injury for me to discover that.

I now use Brooks on every bike with the bars higher than the saddle, which is most of them. I guess I'm still not a true Brooks-O-phile, though, because I am successfully resisting the urge to run around telling everyone that the only way a Brooks saddle can be comfortable is if you position it lower than the handlebars.

Oh, and a PS: I have definitely noticed that Brooks quality control has slipped over the decades. What used to be a very consistent product is now hit-and-miss. I think that explains, at least partly, why results are so mixed these days. A new buyer may well be advised to choose from the "select" line, which are apparently made the way they were decades ago, as opposed to the willy-nilly leather selection currently in use for their regular line.
Six jours is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 06:59 AM
  #7359  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Since this thread has be hi-jacked to Brooks saddles, I have been pondering this. I have come to the conclusion that setting on Brooks saddles or any other DF saddle has squeezed the anti helmet posters brains into a false sense of security about not wearing a helmet. They should ride a recumbent for a while and let blood back into their brains, then they would see the light about wearing a helmet.
rydabent is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 08:31 AM
  #7360  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Since this thread has be hi-jacked to Brooks saddles, I have been pondering this. I have come to the conclusion that setting on Brooks saddles or any other DF saddle has squeezed the anti helmet posters brains into a false sense of security about not wearing a helmet. They should ride a recumbent for a while and let blood back into their brains, then they would see the light about wearing a helmet.
You have that a bit wrong: those riding real bicycles think more clearly, their head receiving a continuous cooling stream to avoid overheating, especially if they are not wearing a helmet, which is why they may choose Brooks saddles; those riding clown bikes sit on their brain, causing overheated wrong-thinking, especially those who also have a helmet up their ass along with their head.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 08:38 AM
  #7361  
Cycle Dallas
 
MMACH 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Land of Gar, TX
Posts: 3,777

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
MHLs are not the subject of this thread, but I'll share this good news here.
If I start this in its own thread, it will likely get swept up and dumped in here, anyway.

It appears that we might finally make some headway on getting rid of Dallas' all-age helmet law.
Dallas Now Has a Bike Task Force, and It's Hellbent on Killing the Helmet Law
MMACH 5 is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 10:25 AM
  #7362  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bay Area, Calif.
Posts: 7,239
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
MHLs are not the subject of this thread, but I'll share this good news here.
If I start this in its own thread, it will likely get swept up and dumped in here, anyway.

It appears that we might finally make some headway on getting rid of Dallas' all-age helmet law.
Dallas Now Has a Bike Task Force, and It's Hellbent on Killing the Helmet Law
Good, sounds like the realize the problems of combining a bike-share program with a MHL: "Kingston expects the helmet rule to be gone by the end of the year, right before the city gets a respectably sized bike share program."
prathmann is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 03:38 PM
  #7363  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
mcon
Does it bother you that "clown" bikes as you call them hold all of the cycling speed records? BTW I bet the riders of thse record setting bikes were wearing a helmet during their rides.

BTW I like to slow down and ride with DF riders during thunder storms. Perched way up in the air they make good lightening rods. They make us modern bike riders safe.
rydabent is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 04:00 PM
  #7364  
Arizona Dessert
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Posts: 15,029

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
mcon
Does it bother you that "clown" bikes as you call them hold all of the cycling speed records? BTW I bet the riders of thse record setting bikes were wearing a helmet during their rides.

BTW I like to slow down and ride with DF riders during thunder storms. Perched way up in the air they make good lightening rods. They make us modern bike riders safe.
The People of Recumbent Cycling

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ab.jpg (36.9 KB, 16 views)
noisebeam is offline  
Old 04-04-14, 10:15 PM
  #7365  
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 8,690

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1128 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
this appears to be your argument approach to everything. #gmafb
Your approach seems to be a jackash toward everything, so I guess we're twins.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 04-05-14, 12:33 AM
  #7366  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,993

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
3alarmer is online now  
Old 04-05-14, 06:45 AM
  #7367  
Senior Member
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,558
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
mcon
Does it bother you that "clown" bikes as you call them hold all of the cycling speed records? BTW I bet the riders of thse record setting bikes were wearing a helmet during their rides.

BTW I like to slow down and ride with DF riders during thunder storms. Perched way up in the air they make good lightening rods. They make us modern bike riders safe.
Don't get all in a kerfluffle -- my Birdy folder and Burley tandem are also solid residents of the clown bike class. Fatbikes are in there at the moment, too.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 04-05-14, 06:57 AM
  #7368  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
mcon

I would not be seen in a kerfuffle since it foreign made. Buy American.
rydabent is offline  
Old 04-05-14, 07:13 AM
  #7369  
Junior Member
 
zazata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never worn a bike helmet .....
zazata is offline  
Old 04-05-14, 09:44 AM
  #7370  
Senior Member
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 22,993

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26471 Post(s)
Liked 10,425 Times in 7,240 Posts
...can you say kerfluffle here ? I thought it was censored ?
3alarmer is online now  
Old 04-05-14, 11:34 AM
  #7371  
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The hot spot.
Posts: 45,034

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12886 Post(s)
Liked 7,802 Times in 4,140 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Since this thread has be hi-jacked to Brooks saddles, I have been pondering this. I have come to the conclusion that setting on Brooks saddles or any other DF saddle has squeezed the anti helmet posters brains into a false sense of security about not wearing a helmet. They should ride a recumbent for a while and let blood back into their brains, then they would see the light about wearing a helmet.
You're just jealous cuz Brooks doesn't make a leather-strapped lawn chair for your 'bent.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 04-06-14, 01:20 AM
  #7372  
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,506

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
mcon
Does it bother you that "clown" bikes as you call them hold all of the cycling speed records? BTW I bet the riders of thse record setting bikes were wearing a helmet during their rides.

BTW I like to slow down and ride with DF riders during thunder storms. Perched way up in the air they make good lightening rods. They make us modern bike riders safe.
Even DH? Wow! I would have expected that a recumbent would be slower on mountain trails but guess I was wrong...

What about climbing?
elcruxio is offline  
Old 04-06-14, 07:04 AM
  #7373  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Lester

Leather, leather, you are going to have the peta types jumping out of the bushes and jamming sticks in your spokes. Actually nice flexable nylon straps provide a very comfortable ride.

The ave cyclist should leap a whole century and ride a bent. Why be stuck riding an antique bike invented the the 1880s? Trains dont have firemen shoveling coal, and we no longer have kerosene lamps. Ride a modern bent, suffer no pain, and of course wear a helmet.
rydabent is offline  
Old 04-06-14, 05:16 PM
  #7374  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 18

Bikes: blue birdy, 26"wheel british eagle touring bike, 20" humber, 26"/20" butchers bike, prophete mens city bike, marinoni 80s race bike, dragster, strider, raleigh 16, front half of mtb tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Australia helmet wearing is COMPULSORY, no choice, you have to wear a helmet No matter Where you ride, On a designated bicycle path, or on a beach, or riding on a playing field (when not is use obviously) but You Have NO CHOICE!
I personally sweat severely under my helmet and last week almost Crashed because a river of sweat flowed first into my left eye and then my right as I was riding quickly across a road in quite heavy traffic where the cycleway crosses a major road!Last year I did crash from my helmet as My doctor changed my bloodpressure medication that had a side effect of making users Lose balance if their head got overheated! overbalanced into a chain wire fence!
bluebirdy is offline  
Old 04-06-14, 06:15 PM
  #7375  
Senior Member
 
yote223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MN.
Posts: 239

Bikes: A MTB and something else with 2 pedals.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never have and probably never will. They are hot, uncomfortable and just plain dorky looking. Just another PIA that I don't need. Never been one to run with the "conformity" flock.

P.S. The same goes for Spandex too !!!
yote223 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.