Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 06-28-14, 09:38 PM
  #8101  
pguru
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 14

Bikes: Venture LeMans, 1960's Raleigh (Nottingham)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I see it is, besides (trying to) look cool, what do you gain from not wearing a helmet?

Forget stats and what not for a minute: Isn't it kind of obvious that in a situation where you're crashing into the ground/pole/wall/wtv at 20km/h, a helmet will give you more protection than the absence of one? Having had 3 concussions in my young life (I'm 20 y/o; all three were hockey related), the last thing I want to do is risk having another and ruining the rest of my life. A helmet helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...
pguru is offline  
Old 06-28-14, 10:07 PM
  #8102  
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Posts: 28,441

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
The way I see it is, besides (trying to) look cool, what do you gain from not wearing a helmet?

Forget stats and what not for a minute: Isn't it kind of obvious that in a situation where you're crashing into the ground/pole/wall/wtv at 20km/h, a helmet will give you more protection than the absence of one? Having had 3 concussions in my young life (I'm 20 y/o; all three were hockey related), the last thing I want to do is risk having another and ruining the rest of my life. A helmet helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...
Your experience and $0.02 sounds like you have the most to gain by quitting hockey.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 06-28-14, 10:16 PM
  #8103  
pguru
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 14

Bikes: Venture LeMans, 1960's Raleigh (Nottingham)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Your experience and $0.02 sounds like you have the most to gain by quitting hockey.
Some bad luck and inexperience played a bigger role in those concussions than anything else. That being said, I have had to quit playing due to post-concussion symptoms that my doctor has said may stay with me for the rest of my life. You don't "quit" hockey though, maybe one aspect of it, but never the whole sport; I'm currently coaching minor hockey.

Contrary to what I believed when I was 13-14, I am indeed not invincible and truly believe that you should always do everything you can to ensure personal safety. (I'm not saying not to have fun, just don't be stupid about it!)
pguru is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 12:48 AM
  #8104  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 1,996

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
The way I see it is, besides (trying to) look cool, what do you gain from not wearing a helmet?

Forget stats and what not for a minute: Isn't it kind of obvious that in a situation where you're crashing into the ground/pole/wall/wtv at 20km/h, a helmet will give you more protection than the absence of one? Having had 3 concussions in my young life (I'm 20 y/o; all three were hockey related), the last thing I want to do is risk having another and ruining the rest of my life. A helmet helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...
What if I told you that some forms of cycling are not dangerous enough to warrant safety gear and are actually on par or lower in risk levels with several other day to day activities where no safety equipment is worn.
elcruxio is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 12:49 AM
  #8105  
pguru
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 14

Bikes: Venture LeMans, 1960's Raleigh (Nottingham)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
What if I told you that some forms of cycling are not dangerous enough to warrant safety gear and are actually on par or lower in risk levels with several other day to day activities where no safety equipment is worn.
And what forms of cycling would that be?
pguru is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 12:58 AM
  #8106  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 1,996

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
And what forms of cycling would that be?
Depending on the person riding the bike lots of stuff. You only really need to look a few pics of the netherlands to see what day to day utility cycling looks like.

So mainly non sportive cycling in general
elcruxio is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 01:00 AM
  #8107  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,773

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7166 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,331 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
The way I see it is, besides (trying to) look cool, what do you gain from not wearing a helmet?

Forget stats and what not for a minute: Isn't it kind of obvious that in a situation where you're crashing into the ground/pole/wall/wtv at 20km/h, a helmet will give you more protection than the absence of one? Having had 3 concussions in my young life (I'm 20 y/o; all three were hockey related), the last thing I want to do is risk having another and ruining the rest of my life. A helmet helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...
Would you wear a helmet for this activity?

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 01:12 AM
  #8108  
pguru
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 14

Bikes: Venture LeMans, 1960's Raleigh (Nottingham)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Would you wear a helmet for this activity?

If I'm on the ice by myself, or with a person or two, no. GASP! WHAT A HYPOCRITE?!??!?!

The reasoning is, I'm a highly competent skater and have %110 faith in my own abilities. The reason I wear a helmet while cycling is not because I think I'll make a mistake, but because I know that not everyone on the road, whether they're driving or cycling are as skilled/experienced as they should be (to maintain a safe environment on the road). I'm worried about a driver running a red, or being doored as I pass by a parked car.
pguru is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 02:03 AM
  #8109  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 1,996

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
If I'm on the ice by myself, or with a person or two, no. GASP! WHAT A HYPOCRITE?!??!?!

The reasoning is, I'm a highly competent skater and have %110 faith in my own abilities. The reason I wear a helmet while cycling is not because I think I'll make a mistake, but because I know that not everyone on the road, whether they're driving or cycling are as skilled/experienced as they should be (to maintain a safe environment on the road). I'm worried about a driver running a red, or being doored as I pass by a parked car.
I'm a very competent cyclist and my bike is about the safest two wheel kind (29er). I steer clear of other road users so I'm pretty much in the clear it seems.

Also, while walking down the street you can trip, get run over by a car or plowed down by an errant cyclist. You can't really trust the judgement of others while doing something as simple as walking so why not wear a helmet then?
elcruxio is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 02:47 AM
  #8110  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,773

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7166 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,331 Posts
A typical road cycling helmet is inadequate for many crashes involving automobiles and a helmet should not be considered baseline PPE for any cycling activity.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 03:27 AM
  #8111  
905 
waiting for my name tag
 
905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
The way I see it is, besides (trying to) look cool, what do you gain from not wearing a helmet?

Forget stats and what not for a minute: Isn't it kind of obvious that in a situation where you're crashing into the ground/pole/wall/wtv at 20km/h, a helmet will give you more protection than the absence of one? Having had 3 concussions in my young life (I'm 20 y/o; all three were hockey related), the last thing I want to do is risk having another and ruining the rest of my life. A helmet helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...


I doubt anybody is going to try to talk you out of wearing a helmet. Wear it in good health. You have a lot of company, judging by the poll results. I'm one of the very small minority who used to, but stopped.

I would guess that most non-wearers who have posted here have given the matter a fair amount of thought; aren't particularly interested in "(trying to) look cool" (maybe actually being cool, in some cases); and are aware how important their head is. They simply disagree that a helmet is necessary to keep it intact.

Considering how many accidents happen in the home, cycling is probably the safest thing I'll do today.


Palace security insists that the Queen wear a helmet, even at home, in case she slips and hits her head on the medal.
__________________
@jollygoodthen


Last edited by 905; 06-29-14 at 03:30 AM. Reason: That's Victoria Pendleton, trying not to scream as the Queen pierces her chest
905 is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 04:16 AM
  #8112  
CarinusMalmari
Senior Member
 
CarinusMalmari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
The way I see it is, besides (trying to) look cool, what do you gain from not wearing a helmet?
This is just a false cliche BHAs use to portray people who choose to ride bare-headed as shallow idiots who are only concerned with their image. Of course there's people who's coolness factor is the only consideration to not wear a helmet, but there are many other reasons to not wear and/or be critical of helmets.

-Helmets are uncomfortable.
-Helmet are a hassle and inconvenient.
-Helmets greatly reduce the sense of freedom associated with cycling
-There are much better ways to ensure safety than helmets
-Helmets are fairly ineffective
-Helmets distract from real safety issues, especially when they are promoted as the Holy Grail of bicycle safety, which they most definitely arent.
-Helmets often give wearers a false sense of safety, arguably resulting in too much) risk compensation.
-Helmets damage the image of cycling
-Helmets discourage cycling
-Helmets are unnecessary for the common cyclist.

A helmet helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Limiting your speed to 25km/helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Avoiding busy traffic helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Installing bicycle lights helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Mirrors help you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Avoiding mountain biking helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Staying off of unpaved roads and trails helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Only riding stationary bicycles helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Ditching your brake-less fixie helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Not riding under the influence of alcohol and drugs helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Not wearing headphones helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...

(Just to be clear, I'm not arguing people should stop mountainbiking etc. ,I'm not arrogant enough to tell other adults what risks they should and shouldn't take, but this is how BHAs sound to me. The difference is that most of the suggestions I make are much better to ensure safety than donning foam fruit baskets.)

Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 06-29-14 at 04:30 AM.
CarinusMalmari is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 04:27 AM
  #8113  
Gothic Sunshine
Senior Member
 
Gothic Sunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: San Francisco, California
Posts: 73

Bikes: 1987 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
And what forms of cycling would that be?
Cruising, for one. City biking can qualify depending on the area.
Gothic Sunshine is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 04:35 AM
  #8114  
CarinusMalmari
Senior Member
 
CarinusMalmari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by pguru View Post
And what forms of cycling would that be?
Among other things the most common form of cycling on the planet, which would be (generally low-speed) utility cycling.

Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 06-29-14 at 04:54 AM.
CarinusMalmari is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 06:52 AM
  #8115  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,988

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 391 Posts
carinus

The first 3 and the last 3 on your list is just plain wrong. As I have stated many times, after I put my helmet on, it is completely forgotten until I get home and go to take it off.

Really would you ride down the street chanting to yourself --------Im wearing a helmet--Im wearing a helmet?
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 06:57 AM
  #8116  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,988

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 391 Posts
carinus

You say helmets damage the image of cycling. I say it is the complete opposite. In fact I say that anyone that sees a cyclist riding with a helmet thinks that there is a person that is really into cycling.
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 08:57 AM
  #8117  
CarinusMalmari
Senior Member
 
CarinusMalmari's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
The first 3 and the last 3 on your list is just plain wrong. As I have stated many times, after I put my helmet on, it is completely forgotten until I get home and go to take it off.
Good for you, but multitudes of other people, including yours truly, report they experience discomfort etc. when wearing a bicycle helmet. The fact that it isn't true for you, doesn't mean it isn't a legitimate argument against bicycle helmets for other people.

You say helmets damage the image of cycling. I say it is the complete opposite. In fact I say that anyone that sees a cyclist riding with a helmet thinks that there is a person that is really into cycling.
Popularity of bicycle helmets is the hall-mark of societies with a failed bicycle culture, and the most successful bicycle cultures are dominated by bare headed cyclists. Cycling takes a giant hit whenever MHLs are adopted. Popularity of cycling helmets is accompanied with the prevailing idea in those societies that cycling is dangerous. It's not the Dutch and the Danish who hysterically over-hype the dangers of cycling, it's Americans and Australians. etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by CarinusMalmari; 06-29-14 at 09:30 AM.
CarinusMalmari is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 09:07 AM
  #8118  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,773

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7166 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,331 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
carinus

The first 3 and the last 3 on your list is just plain wrong. As I have stated many times, after I put my helmet on, it is completely forgotten until I get home and go to take it off.

Really would you ride down the street chanting to yourself --------Im wearing a helmet--Im wearing a helmet?
If your bike ride frequently involved these:
Post Office
Bank
Grocer
Hardware Store
Barber
Florist
Yoga Studio
Cafe
Restaurant
Bus
Train
Ferry
Etc

You would likely think about your helmet every stop you make. People who ride their bike places to do things often buckle their helmet to their bike (which could lead to theft, tampering and UV damage of EPS) or carry it in with them which can be burdensome on many errands and can result in one putting the helmet down and forgetting it and leaving it behind.

It strikes me that cycling itself is likely the end goal of most your trips. If cycling was simply the means of most of your trips you might have a different perspective.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-29-14 at 09:16 AM.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 09:54 AM
  #8119  
pguru
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 14

Bikes: Venture LeMans, 1960's Raleigh (Nottingham)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari View Post
This is just a false cliche BHAs use to portray people who choose to ride bare-headed as shallow idiots who are only concerned with their image. Of course there's people who's coolness factor is the only consideration to not wear a helmet, but there are many other reasons to not wear and/or be critical of helmets.

-Helmets are uncomfortable.
-Helmet are a hassle and inconvenient.
-Helmets greatly reduce the sense of freedom associated with cycling
-There are much better ways to ensure safety than helmets
-Helmets are fairly ineffective
-Helmets distract from real safety issues, especially when they are promoted as the Holy Grail of bicycle safety, which they most definitely arent.
-Helmets often give wearers a false sense of safety, arguably resulting in too much) risk compensation.
-Helmets damage the image of cycling
-Helmets discourage cycling
-Helmets are unnecessary for the common cyclist.


Limiting your speed to 25km/helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Avoiding busy traffic helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Installing bicycle lights helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Mirrors help you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Avoiding mountain biking helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Staying off of unpaved roads and trails helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Only riding stationary bicycles helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Ditching your brake-less fixie helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Not riding under the influence of alcohol and drugs helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.
Not wearing headphones helps you better protect the MOST important part of your body; if that's not reason enough, I don't know what is.

Just my $0.02...

(Just to be clear, I'm not arguing people should stop mountainbiking etc. ,I'm not arrogant enough to tell other adults what risks they should and shouldn't take, but this is how BHAs sound to me. The difference is that most of the suggestions I make are much better to ensure safety than donning foam fruit baskets.)
Some or your points do actually cause safety concerns though; speed is always an important consideration when riding in public, you should not be riding under the influence of anything, unless you're a skilled fixie rider, having brakes on (while you're still learning) is probably a good thing to have, not wearing headphones allows you to hear cars coming and you should have some sort of lighting on your bike, especially if you're riding at night.

I get it, you're sick of pro-helmet people pushing their ideologies on you, and I respect that. I'm going to keep wearing a helmet, and you should go ahead and not wear a helmet (if that's the way you want to ride). Not looking to start a flame war; I'm sure we both have better things to do.
pguru is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 10:06 AM
  #8120  
dippitydoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a giro savant.

There are days when I would to ditch the helmet but the fact that something can happen any second has me feared to go helmet less.
dippitydoo is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 11:26 AM
  #8121  
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter
 
JoeyBike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 6,987

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by CarinusMalmari View Post
-Helmets are uncomfortable.
So are bullet-proof vests on cops, oxygen tanks for firemen, ropes, harnesses, and hardware for mountain climbing or rock climbing, life jackets on boats or skis, and other uncountable safety accoutrements that people routinely wear and might never actually need.

-Helmet are a hassle and inconvenient.
So are bullet-proof vests on cops, oxygen tanks for firemen, ropes, harnesses, and hardware for mountain climbing or rock climbing, life jackets on boats or skis, and other uncountable safety accoutrements that people routinely wear and might never actually need.

-Helmets greatly reduce the sense of freedom associated with cycling
So are bullet-proof vests on cops, oxygen tanks for firemen, ropes, harnesses, and hardware for mountain climbing or rock climbing, life jackets on boats or skis, and other uncountable safety accoutrements that people routinely wear and might never actually need.

-There are much better ways to ensure safety than helmets
A helmet could be a piece of the safety puzzle if you desired one.

-Helmets are fairly ineffective
This is debatable for either side of the argument. 325 pages on this thread bares proof of that. If there is no indisputable proof that bike helmets prevent head injuries, then by definition there is no indisputable proof for the opposite viewpoint.

-Helmets distract from real safety issues, especially when they are promoted as the Holy Grail of bicycle safety, which they most definitely aren't.
Maybe. Does everyone get distracted from "real" safety issues? Half the people? 10%? Or just a SWAG?

-Helmets often give wearers a false sense of safety, arguably resulting in too much) risk compensation.
So do anti-lock brakes, seat belts, and airbags, not to mention driving around in paramilitary urban assault vehicles like many motorists do. There is also a TRUE sense of security in having airbags in a vehicle that is very likely to roll over with the slightest mistake. And those vehicles have FOUR wheels. Bikes, with only two wheels pretty much WANT to fall over. Test this out. Take your bike, stand it straight up, then let go. What is the bikes "natural" rest position? Yup...on it's side. Now picture yourself ON it. The distance from where your head would be in the saddle of that fallen bicycle is your margin of error. Is it 6" or less not including head whip?

-Helmets damage the image of cycling
Probably

-Helmets discourage cycling
Absolutely

-Helmets are unnecessary for the common cyclist.
It is not easy to define "common" cyclist in the USofA. Perhaps you mean cyclists who can easily touch the ground with both feet while sitting fully on the saddle? That would be my definition of common cyclist.

------------------------------------------------

Nice list BTW. I didn't want it go to to waste. Good points, many highly debatable IMO.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-29-14 at 11:34 AM.
JoeyBike is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 11:44 AM
  #8122  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 36,773

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7166 Post(s)
Liked 2,502 Times in 1,331 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
So are bullet-proof vests on cops, oxygen tanks for firemen, ropes, harnesses, and hardware for mountain climbing or rock climbing, life jackets on boats or skis, and other uncountable safety accoutrements that people routinely wear and might never actually need.
I'm not fond of cops that wear vests at all times. Tactical gear for beat cops is BS, militarization of local police needs to end. Firemen don't wear tanks at all times, just in case. In my youth I did a lot of freeclimbing, helmet use varies in the rockclimbing world. Life jacket use varies a lot, typically dependent on vessel size. Helmet use is surprisingly low in the sailing world where head/boom impact can be a very real possibility on many craft.



Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
So do anti-lock brakes, seat belts, and airbags, not to mention driving around in paramilitary urban assault vehicles like many motorists do. There is also a TRUE sense of security in having airbags in a vehicle that is very likely to roll over with the slightest mistake. And those vehicles have FOUR wheels. Bikes, with only two wheels pretty much WANT to fall over. Test this out. Take your bike, stand it straight up, then let go. What is the bikes "natural" rest position? Yup...on it's side. Now picture yourself ON it. The distance from where your head would be in the saddle of that fallen bicycle is your margin of error. Is it 6" or less not including head whip?
My bikes like to stay upright once they're rolling

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 11:44 AM
  #8123  
wphamilton
Senior Member
 
wphamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 15,280

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
..

This is debatable for either side of the argument. 325 pages on this thread bares proof of that. If there is no indisputable proof that bike helmets prevent head injuries, then by definition there is no indisputable proof for the opposite viewpoint.
...
The salient point relates to this, in my opinion.

The disputed question is how probable is it that the helmet prevents a head injury. Not the conditional probability: IF you have an accident, how likely is it that the helmet will prevent a head injury. Two vastly different things.

In fact, it's Probability of accident involving a car, times probability that a car accident involves head trauma, times probability that a helmet reduces head trauma. The last of these is a fairly good probability. Most generously, 75%, less generously 33% depending on the source. Multiplied all together, the actual probability that your helmet will prevent a traumatic head injury on a given ride, is often low enough to be irrelevant.
wphamilton is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 12:07 PM
  #8124  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 5,128

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 284 Posts
A person can drown in 3" of water. STAY AWAY FROM WATER!!!!!!!

I bicycle to Walmart, Home Depot, Publix, Winn Dixie, CVS, Walgreens and wear my helmet inside of the establishments. Never know when some shopper might mow me down with a shopping cart or I might suffer a slip and fall.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 06-29-14, 12:18 PM
  #8125  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,988

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 391 Posts
The fully kitted roadies that post here against helmet reminds me of the sun deck Charlies in a very expensive ski jacket. The sit on the sun deck at the ski lodge with high priced skis that probably have never touched snow. The too know it all.
rydabent is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.