Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The helmet thread

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
178
10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
94
5.63%
I've always worn a helmet
648
38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
408
24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
342
20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

The helmet thread

Old 03-23-12, 07:41 PM
  #1851  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,832

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I'm probably just not educated enough.
Could be that. You might start by looking up "socialism" on Wikipedia and see how that matches my posts.
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 09:06 PM
  #1852  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Hell, I'm so uneducated that I still consider Wikipedia to be a non-source. So uneducated that I don't even consider "socialism" to be an epithet. I simply use it as a descriptive term for the idea that things work best when distribution of income is managed by the state. Or, in Rydaspeak, "B'crats taking money from taxpayers and giving it to someone else".
Six jours is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 09:45 PM
  #1853  
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've changed my mind about wearing a helmet. not on the road but rather whilst reading threads. . .

Last edited by Rx Rider; 03-23-12 at 09:49 PM. Reason: sure
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 09:49 PM
  #1854  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Helps when beating your head against a wall, anyway,

I, for one, love the new direction the thread has taken.
Six jours is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 10:10 PM
  #1855  
Junior Member
 
toegnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Coyote Creek and Orangethorpe, LA/OC
Posts: 16

Bikes: FUJI Transonic SL (2016), BH G6 Pro (2013), BH G5 (2012), BH G5 (2010), Luma RAX (2009) VeloVie Vitesse 300SE (2008), Kuota Kredo (2007), Cannondale CAAD 8 (2005, 2006), Felt F1 (2004), Trek 5200 (2003), Trek 5200 (1994), DiamondBack Master TG (1990)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What? No mention of Nazis yet? This thread is full of life!
toegnix is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 10:23 PM
  #1856  
Senior Member
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the government is required to take care of those seriously disabled in the course of recreational activity, then they have a right to require certain safety measures for partaking in that activity. A quadrapelegic will cost several million dollars to take care of over a lifetime, so I don't think it's unreasonable to have laws that might prevent or mitigate serious injury.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 10:26 PM
  #1857  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
When the government is required to take care of those seriously disabled in the course of recreational activity, then they have a right to require certain safety measures for partaking in that activity. A quadrapelegic will cost several million dollars to take care of over a lifetime, so I don't think it's unreasonable to have laws that might prevent or mitigate serious injury.
And if we take that "logic" to its conclusion, we'll have agents going through your refrigerator looking for transfats. So that was probably kind of a stupid way to introduce yourself to BF. But welcome aboard anyway.
Six jours is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 10:28 PM
  #1858  
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toegnix
What? No mention of Nazis yet? This thread is full of life!
why did you ask for nayzees?

yes welcome, i'm guessing you've always worn a helmet WT?

Last edited by Rx Rider; 03-23-12 at 10:33 PM.
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 03-23-12, 11:10 PM
  #1859  
Senior Member
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
And if we take that "logic" to its conclusion, we'll have agents going through your refrigerator looking for transfats. So that was probably kind of a stupid way to introduce yourself to BF. But welcome aboard anyway.
Sorry I made such a bad impression. I wanted to point out that those who pay the bills get to make the rules. When individuals alone take responsibility for the consequences of their choices, then the gov't has no right to impose restrictions.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 12:12 AM
  #1860  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
No worries, mate. I'm usually drunk and bitter when I sign on to BF, so you shouldn't pay much attention to me.
Six jours is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 04:28 AM
  #1861  
Senior Member
 
Monster Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warwick, UK
Posts: 1,049

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WickedThump
A quadrapelegic will cost several million dollars to take care of over a lifetime, so I don't think it's unreasonable to have laws that might prevent or mitigate serious injury.
That would all be very well if 1: cycling was a dangerous activity, and 2: cycle helmets were designed to prevent serious injury.
Monster Pete is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 05:33 AM
  #1862  
Still spinnin'.....
 
Stealthammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Whitestown, IN
Posts: 1,208

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
Sorry I made such a bad impression. I wanted to point out that those who pay the bills get to make the rules. When individuals alone take responsibility for the consequences of their choices, then the gov't has no right to impose restrictions.
Don't look for any logic or reasoning anywhere in this thread. Many of the comments are being made by cyclists who should have been wearing a helmet......

Welcome to the BF.
Stealthammer is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 12:14 PM
  #1863  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,832

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
Hell, I'm so uneducated that I still consider Wikipedia to be a non-source. So uneducated that I don't even consider "socialism" to be an epithet. I simply use it as a descriptive term for the idea that things work best when distribution of income is managed by the state. Or, in Rydaspeak, "B'crats taking money from taxpayers and giving it to someone else".
Am I supposed to laugh or cry?
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 08:52 PM
  #1864  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I don't know. Maybe you should ask Wikipedia.
Six jours is offline  
Old 03-24-12, 11:56 PM
  #1865  
Senior Member
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster Pete
That would all be very well if 1: cycling was a dangerous activity, and 2: cycle helmets were designed to prevent serious injury.
I have no idea what the statistics on bicycling injuries are, but among the young people I worked with in rehab, I'd say a quarter of them had permanent brain damage from bicycle accidents. One time i dumped my bike and bounced my helmeted head off the pavement. Even with a helmet I suffered a moderate concussion. I might not be here if I had not been wearing a helmet. Yes, all my evidence is anecdotal.
I would like to see detailed stats on bike related injury, hopefully divided by age and riding experience.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 03:49 AM
  #1866  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,832

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I don't know. Maybe you should ask Wikipedia.
You seem to suggest that Wikipedia is not to be trusted on simple matters as the definition of "socialism". It can, though, and had you cared to enlighten yourself, you might have found that other encyclopedias will confirm it.
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 03:56 AM
  #1867  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,832

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
When the government is required to take care of those seriously disabled in the course of recreational activity, then they have a right to require certain safety measures for partaking in that activity. A quadrapelegic will cost several million dollars to take care of over a lifetime, so I don't think it's unreasonable to have laws that might prevent or mitigate serious injury.
You are perfectly right that government should do something that might prevent or mitigate serious injury. Only, the kind of helmets that would do that are way too troublesome to ride around with. Meanwhile:

https://www.cycle-helmets.com/elvik.pdf

Head injury vs. neck injury.

So, perhaps governments should concentrate their efforts on bike lanes, controlling the speed of motorized vehicles etc. - things that actually work.
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 07:17 AM
  #1868  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 9,924

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
hagen

I live in the US. We can see what socialism and big government has done to Europe. Big brother dictates such as helmet laws is driving Europe broke. Thats why we dont need that kind of nanny state here. As I have stated, I believe in personal responsibility, and that includes riding with a helmet. To waste police and justice time on helmet laws is just plain a waste of money. I personally think people are dumb if they dont wear a helmet, but to make them a criminal if they dont is beyond the pale.
rydabent is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 10:38 AM
  #1869  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
It's been my experience that most Europeans are pleased with their system and, when visiting America, are a little uncomfortable with people having so much liberty and responsibility. So I doubt that line of argument is going to gain much traction.
Six jours is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 11:24 AM
  #1870  
Gone.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WickedThump
I have no idea what the statistics on bicycling injuries are, but among the young people I worked with in rehab, I'd say a quarter of them had permanent brain damage from bicycle accidents. One time i dumped my bike and bounced my helmeted head off the pavement. Even with a helmet I suffered a moderate concussion. I might not be here if I had not been wearing a helmet. Yes, all my evidence is anecdotal.
I would like to see detailed stats on bike related injury, hopefully divided by age and riding experience.
And with the arrival of yet another clueless noob, the eternal cycle begins anew.

“Through countless births in the cycle of existence
I have run, not finding
although seeking the builder of this house;
and again and again I faced the suffering of new birth.
Oh housebuilder! Now you are seen.

You shall not build a house again for me.
All your beams are broken,
the ridgepole is shattered.
The mind has become freed from conditioning:
the end of craving has been reached.”

― Siddhārtha Gautama
corvuscorvax is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 01:36 PM
  #1871  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,832

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
...a little uncomfortable with people having so much liberty and responsibility...
Uh... sure
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 03-25-12, 02:33 PM
  #1872  
Senior Member
 
WickedThump's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 522

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hagen2456
You are perfectly right that government should do something that might prevent or mitigate serious injury.
People themselves need to make this decision. If we rely on government, pretty soon we'll be required to wear helmets ad pads to shop for groceries.
WickedThump is offline  
Old 03-26-12, 03:41 AM
  #1873  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
It's been my experience that most Europeans are pleased with their system and, when visiting America, are a little uncomfortable with people having so much liberty and responsibility. So I doubt that line of argument is going to gain much traction.
I would say that they have little time for thinking while they are here because they are too busy shopping for the things they can't find or afford at home thanks to socialism.
As far as poor hagen he is so full of canned phrases (like his Fox remark) that he has lost all capability for individual thinking at all.....besides the bureaucrats wouldn't like that !
AlexZ is offline  
Old 03-26-12, 09:21 AM
  #1874  
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you actually been to Europe?
sudo bike is offline  
Old 03-26-12, 10:51 AM
  #1875  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 1,832

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sudo bike
Have you actually been to Europe?
He's heard of it. You know, that it's part of the socialist East Block, is very poor etc. Kinda like North Korea.

Last edited by hagen2456; 03-26-12 at 02:14 PM.
hagen2456 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.