Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Inside Edition tonight ~ "Are Bikers out of Control'

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Inside Edition tonight ~ "Are Bikers out of Control'

Old 10-01-14, 03:22 AM
  #1  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
Thread Starter
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inside Edition tonight ~ "Are Bikers out of Control'

Videos - Coming Up On The Next Inside Edition on Wednesday, 10-1 - InsideEdition.com

Heads up for Tv spot tonight
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 06:30 AM
  #2  
Cyril 
Senior Member
 
Cyril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southwestern, Ontario
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When did we become "bikers"?
I thought we were "cyclists" to differentiate us from motorcycle riders.
Cyril is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 06:53 AM
  #3  
mconlonx 
Str*t*gic *quivoc*tor
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,552
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7068 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
When did we become "bikers"?
I thought we were "cyclists" to differentiate us from motorcycle riders.
We become "bikers" any time popular media wants to publicize cyclists in a negative light, by casting cyclists in the same light as thug gang motorcyclist 1%ers.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 07:05 AM
  #4  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,189

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 192 Posts
mcon +1 That is pretty much the bottom line explaination.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 07:15 AM
  #5  
billyymc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 40 Posts
Inside Edition viewers wouldn't be able to comprehend a reasonable discussion about cycling. Nor would that make for good ratings.
billyymc is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 07:27 AM
  #6  
dynodonn 
Banned.
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,464
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I got as far as the previews and stopped. I liked the reporter yelling out, "We clocked you at 27mph, that's too fast", or "Sir, you just ran a red light"......this reporter needs to stand on a corner of a busy street in the same city, she will have more than her fair share for a news report for "Are motorists out of control?".
dynodonn is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 07:33 AM
  #7  
rydabent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Posts: 8,189

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 192 Posts
The bad part about it is that the people that watch that program, and know nothing about cycling will think it is 100% true and paint all cyclist with that report.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:08 AM
  #8  
dynodonn 
Banned.
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,464
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
The bad part about it is that the people that watch that program, and know nothing about cycling will think it is 100% true and paint all cyclist with that report.
A number of viewers for this type of programming already have a certain painted picture of cyclists, this report will just further acerbate any feelings that the viewers might have towards cyclists.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:32 AM
  #9  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
Thread Starter
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw an extended version of that clip this morning. Yes, it is sensationalist, yes, it is designed to be a ratings grab on the back of related current events, but unfortunately, it is the public perception of us. And, we earned it. If you've ever blown stop signs on a club ride, flipped off a cyclist or car who made you unclip, rode an MUP(ie; sidewalk), taken the lane when its totally unnecessary, then yes, you have contributed to the reasons this stuff is getting traction in the media. Once again, the current version of advocacy isn't working. This is what we get. Time to rethink.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:41 AM
  #10  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,419

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
I saw an extended version of that clip this morning. Yes, it is sensationalist, yes, it is designed to be a ratings grab on the back of related current events, but unfortunately, it is the public perception of us. And, we earned it. If you've ever blown stop signs on a club ride, flipped off a cyclist or car who made you unclip, rode an MUP(ie; sidewalk), taken the lane when its totally unnecessary, then yes, you have contributed to the reasons this stuff is getting traction in the media. Once again, the current version of advocacy isn't working. This is what we get. Time to rethink.
What is the goal of advocacy?
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:42 AM
  #11  
dynodonn 
Banned.
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,464
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
Once again, the current version of advocacy isn't working. This is what we get. Time to rethink.
Yet motorists do virtually the same type of maneuvers on a daily basis. My city just spent a good amount of money on making, and installing red light violation warning signs (500 dollar "minimum" fine) at numerous intersections, plus many speed feedback signs around my area, and it was not due to "out of control" cyclists.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:43 AM
  #12  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
Thread Starter
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
What is the goal of advocacy?
As it is right now? If so, it is to antagonize people into submission. It clearly is not working. Who'da thought?
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:44 AM
  #13  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,419

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
Yet motorists do virtually the same type of maneuvers on a daily basis. My city just spent a good amount of money on making, and installing red light violation warning signs (500 dollar "minimum" fine) at numerous intersections, plus many speed feedback signs around my area, and it was not due to "out of control" cyclists.
It was due to a budget problem.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:47 AM
  #14  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
Thread Starter
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn View Post
Yet motorists do virtually the same type of maneuvers on a daily basis. My city just spent a good amount of money on making, and installing red light violation warning signs (500 dollar "minimum" fine) at numerous intersections, plus many speed feedback signs around my area, and it was not due to "out of control" cyclists.
That's not the point. We are the minority and this is what that majority thinks about us. And, living in a few areas with a lot of bike people, clubbies, students, homeless etc, I witness lots and lots of bad behavior. In the end, this is what the public's interpretation of us is, agree or not.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:50 AM
  #15  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,419

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
As it is right now? If so, it is to antagonize people into submission. It clearly is not working. Who'da thought?
I was hoping for a serious answer.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:51 AM
  #16  
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
Thread Starter
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Posts: 7,902

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I was hoping for a serious answer.

Ask a serious question.
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:55 AM
  #17  
dynodonn 
Banned.
 
dynodonn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: U.S. of A.
Posts: 7,464
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
That's not the point. We are the minority and this is what that majority thinks about us. And, living in a few areas with a lot of bike people, clubbies, students, homeless etc, I witness lots and lots of bad behavior. In the end, this is what the public's interpretation of us is, agree or not.
I for one will not ride in a manner according to what the general motoring public wants me to ride, if it severely endangers my personal safety. I was amused to hear the reporter yelling at the cyclist for going too fast, and wondered on how many times she personally had greatly exceeded the posted speed limit in order to garner a news story.
dynodonn is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 08:57 AM
  #18  
VTBike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 422

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apparently two wrongs make a right - at least according to 99% of people here.

As for the elitists who have taken great offense to the term "biker", there is some hubris in taking offense in light of the dictionary definition of "biker":
Merriam Webster: "A person who rides a bicycle." (one of two entries)
Random House: "A person who rides a bicycle, motorcycle, or motorbike, especially in competition or as a hobby."

How DARE they use such a term!

Is it just me, or are bicyclists perhaps the most overly-sensitive people on the planet?
VTBike is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:01 AM
  #19  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,419

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=- View Post
Ask a serious question.
It was a serious question. If you are going to make the sweeping statement that advocacy isn't working, then I want to know how you define advocacy. I have seen great progress made due to the advocacy efforts in my immediate geographical area.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:06 AM
  #20  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,419

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by VTBike View Post
Apparently two wrongs make a right - at least according to 99% of people here.

As for the elitists who have taken great offense to the term "biker", there is some hubris in taking offense in light of the dictionary definition of "biker":
Merriam Webster: "A person who rides a bicycle." (one of two entries)
Random House: "A person who rides a bicycle, motorcycle, or motorbike, especially in competition or as a hobby."

How DARE they use such a term!

Is it just me, or are bicyclists perhaps the most overly-sensitive people on the planet?
I don't see it as a two wrongs make a right issue. I see it as a balance issue. Most of us hope for a little balance in reporting. I didn't watch any of the subject session, but it sounds like there was little balance in it. If it served to inflame viewers or to validate the anger they already have, then as true advocates, shouldn't we push for balance? There are too many motorists with very unhealthy attitudes toward bikers and I have seen those unhealthy attitudes manifested in their behavior.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:10 AM
  #21  
FBinNY 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Rochelle, NY
Posts: 35,964

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
It was a serious question. If you are going to make the sweeping statement that advocacy isn't working, then I want to know how you define advocacy. I have seen great progress made due to the advocacy efforts in my immediate geographical area.
IMO (just my opinion, not a claim of fact) one issue with advocacy these days is that it's not really bicycle advocacy, as much as urban transit redesign advocacy. In some ways the goals are aligned, since some of these "urbanists" see the bicycle as a key part of the solution to downtown congestion and livability.

However, commuters, and utility cyclists are a minority of bicyclists, and much of advocacy seems to ignore serious recreational cyclists, who don't want to be burdened with ultra low speed limits (ie. 15mph) or relegated to MUP, or even congested bile lanes.

I'm not faulting advocacy outright, just the notion that a single class, especially a minority class speaks for cyclist in general. No matter how hard I try, I don't remember electing "my" advocate, or OKing any sort of mandate.

BTW- Central Park in NY is a case in point. There was always a two bike lane that looped in the lower half of the park, and the roadway was oprn to cars and bicycles with a speed limit of 30mph or so. When they closed the roadway to motor traffic, the old speed limit was kept in place, unlike the still used "bike lane/MUP" which has a lower limit. I don't know if they've since lowered the limit (I don't ride there anymore, and haven't for decades), but if they have 15mph for bicycles on what is a 3 lane roadway is ridiculously low and doesn't come near to the needs of the majority of users. I'm sure the city knows that, but now everybody is a speed crazy outlaw. God forbid they should coast down some of those hills at 25.
__________________
FB
Chain-L site

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-01-14 at 09:15 AM.
FBinNY is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:21 AM
  #22  
VTBike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 422

Bikes: Scott Sub 40

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I don't see it as a two wrongs make a right issue. I see it as a balance issue. Most of us hope for a little balance in reporting. I didn't watch any of the subject session, but it sounds like there was little balance in it. If it served to inflame viewers or to validate the anger they already have, then as true advocates, shouldn't we push for balance? There are too many motorists with very unhealthy attitudes toward bikers and I have seen those unhealthy attitudes manifested in their behavior.
Inside Edition has never called out motor vehicle operators on bad behavior. Nah... Oh, wait...

Road Rage Driver Caught On Dashcam - News from InsideEdition.com
Drunk School Bus Driver Scares Students - News from InsideEdition.com
Bus Driver Assaults Passenger For Asking Too Many Questions - News from InsideEdition.com
Wrong Way Driver Kills Two Young Women - News from InsideEdition.com
Driver Plows Into Crowd in Venice Beach, Killing Newlywed - News from InsideEdition.com
Driver Drags Baby In Stroller - News from InsideEdition.com
Driver Drags Baby In Stroller - News from InsideEdition.com
Road Rage Death Leaves Model's Family Devastated - News from InsideEdition.com
Promising Ballerina Killed by Drunk Driver - News from InsideEdition.com
Woman Drives Wrong Way on Busy Interstate - News from InsideEdition.com
Woman Sentenced For Mowing Down Triplets in Florida - News from InsideEdition.com
US Marine's Violent Road Rage Caught on Video - News from InsideEdition.com
https://www.insideedition.com/investi...s-tour-company
https://www.insideedition.com/headlin...-inappropriate
VTBike is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:24 AM
  #23  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,419

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1275 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 249 Posts
Yeah, I meant balance in the segment under discussion.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:28 AM
  #24  
RollCNY
Speechless
 
RollCNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Central NY
Posts: 8,805

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
What is the goal of advocacy?
I am new to reading the A&S sub-forum, and you just asked the question that has been in my mind in almost every thread I have viewed. Who is advocating for what, whom are they speaking for, and why? When even cyclists (bicyclists) don't agree on what they want, aren't the different advocacy directions simply factitious?

As a bicycle rider, I do not want bike lanes. I do not want Vehicular Cycling. I do not want separate facilities. I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride my bike.
RollCNY is offline  
Old 10-01-14, 09:29 AM
  #25  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,332

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
What is the goal of advocacy?
To address the challenges that cyclists face in a manner that makes public roads safer and more efficient for everyone.
kickstart is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.