Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

foul mouth driver confronts cyclist

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

foul mouth driver confronts cyclist

Old 03-04-15, 02:25 PM
  #51  
rumrunn6
Senior Member
 
rumrunn6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 25 miles northwest of Boston
Posts: 28,475

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4896 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 1,919 Posts
re: 1st video, at 1st glance I would have slowed down and let the animal go by. hard to 2nd guess on the spot decisions. this guy clearly CHARGED the cyclist and I wouldn't have surprised to see a fight break out. +1 for calling 911

the cyclist in the snow video doesn't seem to show any caution. they want cars to stop at stop signs but aren't willing to do the same themself? also are they riding on the sidewalk?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-04-15 at 02:31 PM.
rumrunn6 is offline  
Old 03-04-15, 02:32 PM
  #52  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,332

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77 View Post
I found something very interesting about that snow video. Seems that folks who lives in a 4 seasons states understand the situation much better. Folks from OR, WA or CA, and from any other "warm" or snow free state may just simply not have enough experience riding on snowy surfaces, or understanding what's really going on during winter time, especially for cyclists. Is that the reason why they see that situation in such a "bad" way?
It reminds me a situation when there is some snow dusting in southern states...The whole state is paralyzed. Well...lately it's cold and snowy in all states but Alaska...go figure
You don't understand that ones current location doesn't define ones experiences? I grew up in NJ, and drove trucks longhaul in all conditions for many years.

Failure to adjust ones actions to conditions and abilities is not an excuse.
kickstart is offline  
Old 03-04-15, 02:48 PM
  #53  
lopek77
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: lower mitten
Posts: 1,555

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
You don't understand that ones current location doesn't define ones experiences? I grew up in NJ, and drove trucks longhaul in all conditions for many years.

Failure to adjust ones actions to conditions and abilities is not an excuse.
According to the same logic, I can safely assume that most folks who post CA as a location - have little or no experience with riding their bikes on snow.
"Assume" and "most"... I may be wrong, and I probably am in some cases, BUT looking at location of members under this very thread - it's a safe assumption, and it seems that the logic is there.
I grew up in Europe and lived on 3 continents, different weather, roads, temperatures...and I still don't know everything.
lopek77 is offline  
Old 03-04-15, 03:04 PM
  #54  
Beth W
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A sad footnote is that this footage came out the same day a 66-year-old cyclist was hit by a motorist (who had possibly run a red light) and later died of his injuries, also in San Francisco. I'm about to post that in another thread if someone hasn't already beat me to it.
Beth W is offline  
Old 03-04-15, 03:33 PM
  #55  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,312

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Safety to a large extent resides in our own hands. Learn to ride safely, which would include not running into cars because you perceive a right of way. And a bit less drama queen helps too.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 03-04-15, 03:44 PM
  #56  
lopek77
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: lower mitten
Posts: 1,555

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Safety to a large extent resides in our own hands. Learn to ride safely, which would include not running into cars because you perceive a right of way. And a bit less drama queen helps too.
That doesn't sound promising at all...If we all change, than it would be different. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. Paying attention, having common sense and understanding other road users would help the most. I know...wishful thinking. That's why I ride far from cars and cities. It feel awesome when I see more wildlife than cars on my rides.
lopek77 is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 08:09 AM
  #57  
trailangel
Senior Member
 
trailangel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,802

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 397 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77 View Post
I found something very interesting about that snow video. Seems that folks who lives in a 4 seasons states understand the situation much better. Folks from OR, WA or CA, and from any other "warm" or snow free state may just simply not have enough experience riding on snowy surfaces, or understanding what's really going on during winter time, especially for cyclists. Is that the reason why they see that situation in such a "bad" way?
It reminds me a situation when there is some snow dusting in southern states...The whole state is paralyzed. Well...lately it's cold and snowy in all states but Alaska...go figure
Is there something wrong with you?
You hijack this thread and create some controversy with a video pulled from you-tube, and now you are putting down the west coast riders. WTF
trailangel is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 08:18 AM
  #58  
lopek77
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: lower mitten
Posts: 1,555

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
Is there something wrong with you?
You hijack this thread and create some controversy with a video pulled from you-tube, and now you are putting down the west coast riders. WTF
wow...
lopek77 is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 08:36 AM
  #59  
RomansFiveEight
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Missouri
Posts: 710

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77 View Post
That doesn't sound promising at all...If we all change, than it would be different. Accidents are called accidents for a reason. Paying attention, having common sense and understanding other road users would help the most. I know...wishful thinking. That's why I ride far from cars and cities. It feel awesome when I see more wildlife than cars on my rides.
So, actually, there's a reason the southern states become paralyzed during snowstorms. And they have massive power outages, shut down roads, etc. ICE. It's warmer, even in the winter. The ground is warm. It's not the light fluffy snow you get up north that you just have to push out of the way. It's slushy, icy, very dangerous stuff. You can't drive on it, no matter how good your car or your skills are. Ice is the great equalizer, that puts four-wheel drives and rear-wheel drives in the same ditch. A couple years ago we had an ice storm so bad it caused several ambulances, fire trucks, and police cars to wreck and resulted in emergency services actually shutting down. If it's bleeding, better put pressure on it and wait until morning.

Here in Missouri, we experience both. When it's never been warmer than 25 for a week and it's snowing in the single digits and we get 12" of fluffy snow, no big deal. It's quickly cleared and most of us can drive on that anyway. When it's 45 during the day and starts to rain, then dips down into the low 30's and high 20's in the late evening and it switches to snow and ice, that's downright dangerous.

I know everyone likes to pick on them. It's sort of a pecking order; Missourians laugh at the Georgians shutting down after an inch of snow whilst the Canadians can't believe we Missourians close schools the day it snows so they can get the roads cleared off. But it's just not an apples-to-apples comparison. That's all compounded by the fact that the south doesn't have the infrastructure to clear snow that other states do. Missouri only gets a few good snows a year, nothing like the all-winter-long snow that the northern states get or Canada gets. And yet we have more snow removal infrastructure in the city of St. Louis than the entire state of Georgia.
RomansFiveEight is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 10:46 AM
  #60  
GP 
Senior Member
 
GP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailangel View Post
...putting down the west coast riders. WTF
Overall, riders in warmer climates are more skilled because they're able to get more annual miles in. Notice that there was only one bike in the video? When's the last time you saw that on a ride?
GP is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 01:58 PM
  #61  
Buffalo Buff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: mars
Posts: 759

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77 View Post
So there is no way you can understand the frustration of some cyclists, that have to deal with stupid drivers like that one from the video, each and every day...
Sometimes drivers even doesn't know that they almost killed someone, even if they know they drive like monkeys...
Hitting their car will make them pay attention, and it may save someone's life down the road.

Here are two examples of distracted driver, and driver who doesn't understand the meaning of Stop sign.
Am I missing something? In both of those situations the biker had the complete ability to avoid the cars and chose not to. These exact scenarios are why I avoid sidewalk riding. Riding in the road this would be avoided. Either way in those situations the biker should be aware of the approaching cars and just tap the brakes and avoid them. No, the car drivers are not 100% in the right, but it's not always about who's right and who's wrong, but can you avoid the situation? If you can, than do so.
Buffalo Buff is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 02:02 PM
  #62  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,312

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Actually the riders attitude explains his actions to a large extent. He refers to stupid drivers every day. I'd say that reflects the way he acts towards other road users.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 02:09 PM
  #63  
lopek77
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: lower mitten
Posts: 1,555

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Actually the riders attitude explains his actions to a large extent. He refers to stupid drivers every day. I'd say that reflects the way he acts towards other road users.
I love how Internet works...What if "stupid drivers every day" means 2 on a 100 mile ride? Why to assume such a things? We all know how hard sometimes is to have fun and stay safe on the roads as as cyclists. Assuming things based on other assumption is highly irresponsible and meaningless.
lopek77 is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 03:04 PM
  #64  
kickstart
Senior Member
 
kickstart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Kent Wa.
Posts: 5,332

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yes, there are a few stupid people out there, and we will encounter them.......get over it.

If you cycle angry, you're doing it wrong.
kickstart is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 03:43 PM
  #65  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,312

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Actually is very rare for me not to have fun and stay safe on a bike ride.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 05:12 PM
  #66  
TrekkingMitten
Banned.
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calling cops was the right thing to do. That guy went crazy very quick. I hope it was just his bad day, otherwise he shouldn't drive the car. Any updates on that situation?
TrekkingMitten is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 06:39 PM
  #67  
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Posts: 23,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2,691 Times in 1,874 Posts
I refer to stupid drivers every day, and I almost never have any negative interaction with drivers. Then one day, three stupid drivers tried to cut me off rather than wait 5 seconds to make their right turns behind me. This almost escalated, I can assure you

Most of the stupid drivers I see are when I'm in my car. I generally make arrangements to avoid them.
unterhausen is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 08:36 PM
  #68  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,312

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Are they really stupid or just behave in a way you do not agree with? I suppose that by definition about 1 in 10 drivers are indeed stupid, but that really does not call for anyone to call them stupid.
howsteepisit is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 10:18 PM
  #69  
Buffalo Buff
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: mars
Posts: 759

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see dumb **** every day. I constantly get cut off so people can save 2 seconds on their commute to get around me and make a right turn. I usually have at least one person a day pull out in front of me at a 4 way intersection as I'm coming through. I claim the lane on a particular rural 45 mph 2 lane road to make a left turn and have people pass me on my left and nearly knock off my left arm as I signal for my turn.

Bottom line though?

I'm on a bike, they're in a ****ing car. I need to watch the **** out and protect my ass because they aren't going to. Who gives a **** who was right if you get hit. You're gonna get ****ed, they might scratch their paint. I like my health.

Just ignore them and keep pedaling.

Last edited by Buffalo Buff; 03-05-15 at 10:21 PM.
Buffalo Buff is offline  
Old 03-05-15, 10:36 PM
  #70  
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Posts: 6,058

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekkingMitten View Post
Calling cops was the right thing to do. That guy went crazy very quick. I hope it was just his bad day, otherwise he shouldn't drive the car. Any updates on that situation?
I have been checking google, the websites for ABC7 in San Francisco, and the Daily Mail in London. So far I haven't seen any updates.
Chris516 is offline  
Old 03-08-15, 09:44 AM
  #71  
randallovelace
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL
Posts: 75

Bikes: Huffy Rockcreek (dual suspension)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been in similar (but without the benefit of a helm cam)... and had to call 911 to get the bone headed driver to understand that I take the bicycle lane laws seriously.
randallovelace is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 12:30 AM
  #72  
Bm7b5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 44

Bikes: 09 Kona Honk-y Tonk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad View Post
Yep, insane people.

IAt the top of the lift, he took off his snowboard and got right in my face, wanting to fight. I'm there with 20 to 30 friends for a snowboard competition, so I just stood there, hands at my side and told him to calm down... and pointed out that his snowboard was going down the hill. After he found out that I would not get physical, he walked down the hill to find his snowboard.
I highly recommend that you do not keep your hands by your side in that kind of situation. Glad it worked out for you though.
Bm7b5 is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 07:40 AM
  #73  
Hypno Toad
meh
 
Hypno Toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hopkins, MN
Posts: 4,629

Bikes: 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 930 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
I highly recommend that you do not keep your hands by your side in that kind of situation. Glad it worked out for you though.
To be blunt, I was surrounded by friends, if this guy took a cheap shot ... it would have ended poorly for him. I would not leave my defenses down in other situations, this was a unique situation. However, there are plenty of hot-heads that will see a defense posture (hands up) as aggressive and will use it as justification to get physical. And to your point, there are cowards that will use a 'non-defensive' stance as an opportunity to make a cheap shot.

Related - How About We Go Outside And Settle This Like Emotionally Stunted Men?
Warning - includes profane language
Hypno Toad is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 11:35 AM
  #74  
spare_wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 4,267

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
Actually is very rare for me not to have fun and stay safe on a bike ride.
Me too. I also have enjoyed just about every one of my interactions with the increasingly rare road-ragin' cager.

I had an amusing interaction a few months ago, however. I chased down a young man in a subaru sedan who had just sped through a red light with pedestrians in the crosswalk. Immediately after lowering his window this individual exclaimed heatedly that he saw me run 3 lights in a row and was trying to teach me a lesson (by endangering other people). I explained to me him that when I stopped and proceeded through those lights I was not endangering pedestrians or impairing anyone's right of way. I think I actually got through to him because he seemed to calm down quite a bit and waved at me when I road off.
spare_wheel is offline  
Old 03-11-15, 11:39 AM
  #75  
howsteepisit
Senior Member
 
howsteepisit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 4,312

Bikes: Mecian

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Why is that some people feel entitled to teach someone a lesson? I just don't get it.
howsteepisit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.