Bike Forums

Bike Forums (
-   Alt Bike Culture (
-   -   heavy... but it could be so beautiful with a little help (

liamstilwell82 05-21-10 01:50 PM

heavy... but it could be so beautiful with a little help
first off a quick apology for my lack of professional terminology, but here goes.... i want to rebuild my old raliegh pioneer frame with a 5-8 speed internal geared hub, drum or preferably roller breaks. however i want to have track bars (the ones that look like a pair of sawn off drop bars the wrong way up) with with some form of discreet shifters.
i know its alot to ask but if anyone knows if this is possible (or put me out of my misery) then please PLEASE! get in touch

frameteam2003 05-22-10 06:01 PM

sure it is

BurnMetal 05-23-10 05:57 PM

Can't help you on the drum or roller brakes as I've never used them, but beyond that you want track handle bars (like these: ) or Bullhorn handlebars (like these: Also... just what do you mean by discrete shifters? Bar end shifters ( are pretty discrete. But, hell, if you want REALLY discrete, just get a three-speed AUTOMATIC shifter :) No gear shift lines needed at all! :) ( Don't know if they still make em, but you might be able to find some around.

Beyond that, really don't know what you're talking about. Need you to give us more information. Put out a design philosophy and be as specific as you can.

Rollfast 05-23-10 11:13 PM

:lol:He he hee hehe

Okay, for the Record we're kinda Campy but Get him done!

liamstilwell82 05-25-10 11:13 AM

thanks for getting back to me, its definitely bullhorn bars im looking at, sorry for being so vague. what i really need is break lever shifters, but i have no idea where i can find out how much cable they pull with each change, is there a site with that info?

Artkansas 05-25-10 12:49 PM


Originally Posted by liamstilwell82 (Post 10863257)
is there a site with that info?

Um, have you tried the bicycle mechanics forum here?

Sammyboy 05-28-10 03:07 PM

This is not the right forum, though it might seem like it. The commuter forum would be a good bet, and bicycle mechanics. "Brake lever shifters" are known as Brifters, or STI, but they don't exist for multi speed hub gears. For the Shimano hubs, you have options of grip shifters (rotary things), or the push-button ones, the name of which escapes me. I put a Nexus 7 hub on an old tourer of mine, and actually fitted the shifter to the stem; see pic below.

Rollfast 05-31-10 02:23 AM

If you have plain old handlebars indexed shifting (on the right hand grip) is likely what you wanted. It's a step up from the old "333" jobs on an, ummm..."English bike" (that's what Yanks call 'em even if most of the darn things were made here).

Well, here. At least I have SOME this and halfway in (besides the cool jazz) you get a look a my project last year. There is such a shifter (subtle but that is it) on the right grip assembly and this IS what some call an English bike even though it's a Montgomery Wards Hawthorne that shares it's parts and frame with the Rollfast Aerolight.

garage sale GT 05-31-10 03:19 PM


Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 10863791)
Um, have you tried the bicycle mechanics forum here?

The classic & vintage forum might be a better choice.

Your conversion sounds easy to do, actually.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 PM.