Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Claud Butler Short wheelbase Frame

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Various

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear Forum readers

When I was a bit younger, nearly 50 years ago, I was in what was called the Junior Leaders in the Royal Engineers at Old Park Barracks in Dover.
Sports were encouraged and I had joined the Army cycling club. I had rather battered old fixe wheel machine, but found an old dilapidated and rather sad frame hanging up in the club house which was looking for a new lease of life.

After much fettling I had it was ready for painting, I took it to our local bicycle shop where the owner told me it was a Claud Butler lugless frame and said it was unusual I the fact that it was a short wheel base model that the saddle stem was divided approx. 8" down from saddle into twin smaller diameter tubes allowing the wheel to almost touching the bottom bracket.

He kindly managed to obtain a new badge for the front and suggested the original Burgundy paint finish, he also got original decals applied, it looked wonderful.
I fitted Campagnolia gears and QR wheels etc
As a member of the Junior Amy Cycling team is used this machine for road time trials, roller racing and hill climbs throughout the country.
Unfortunately when I was posted to Germany the bicycle languished in my parents garage, being finally sold to a fellow team member who lived in Bodiam East Sussex.

10 years later I did look up my friend and my old bicycle, but he had unfortunately sold it and so this interesting machine was lost to me.
I never had a photograph of the interesting machine and would very much like to at least see an image of it for old time sake, had looked over the internet but nothing has presented its self.

If anyone can oblige in my search I would be very grateful.

Mark Chapman
Old 07-31-15, 09:36 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
welcome to the forums. You might post this request in the vintage section here.
Good luck with your search.