Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Decisions for a newbie

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Decisions for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-15, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decisions for a newbie

Soo first step of anything is admission, and I admit, I know NOTHING about purchasing my first road bike. Thus, I am looking for some small pearls of wisdom. For starters, I am 6'2 250 and it's not the sexy 250... I have a small gut and would love to get back into shape thru cycling. I am going to use the inevitable purchase for exercise and hopefully meet some people. My end goal is to do the MS150 next year. (This is a bike ride from Houston-Austin.)

I have done a little research and below are some small highlights.

First option is this Specialized Sequoia Comp road bike 60cm, Ultegra, carbon stays and fork. It's a used bike for roughly 650. This bike is 11 years old, has some upgrades, but a little apprehensive about the age of the bike.

Second option is CAAD8 Claris 8 - CAAD8 - ELITE ROAD - ROAD - BIKES - 2015. This is on the higher end of my budget, and only has eight gears. Which I don't know if that's sufficient.

Third option is Fuji Sportif 2.3 Road Bike - 2015. Heavy very entry level bike.

If you could help shed some light on considerations I need to consider, I would greatly appreciate it. If there is a specific model or something I should consider, please tell me. Very green on this one.
Old 08-11-15, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You can get a sense of what each offers from the price.

More specifically, the Sequoia looks tempting but my personal experience with a cracked headtube on an aluminum-frame Specialized of that vintage would keep my enthusiasm in check.

The Cannondale would be my personal pick mostly because I think you'd benefit from a fit session at a bike shop and you'd get a warranty. Something you can't get when you buy a used bike.
Old 08-11-15, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your input. Just curious, and I hope I am reading your post correctly, but how did you get a cracked headtube on an aluminum frame? Just looking for guidance on what not to do, or what I should do to prevent this from happening! Thanks!
Old 08-11-15, 02:19 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would not suggest a used bike for a complete newb...
I would go with the new bike and get a fit... if you are experienced in sizing and fit and familiar with turning wrenches, then a used bike or online order is no problem.
I would also suggest and endurance performance geometry rather than a standard "race" geometry...
The fuji looks good and another good brand for the money is Giant.
I would suggest going to a few local bike stores, telling them what you want to do and your price range and test ride as many as you have the patience for... then by the bike that simply feels the best to you.
There is not really going to be much of a quality difference in any brand in a given price range...
Old 08-11-15, 06:51 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3130 Post(s)
Liked 6,795 Times in 3,890 Posts
Welcome!