Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Fourth of July trip in Midwest

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

I’ll be in Indiana around the Fourth of July, and was originally thinking about riding the Katy Trail then, but read and heard from locals that it can be quite hot in the summer. I’d rather put that trip off for cooler months, so any thoughts on a reasonably closeby alternative that is a bit cooler? Was thinking Michigan, but don’t know much about that area. Mackinac Island looks interesting for a day trip. I’d most likely ride for about a week, and would prefer to camp if possible. Also would prefer not driving much further west or too far north, since I ultimately need to drive back to the DC area.
Old 04-30-18, 11:55 AM

Bikes: Trek Shift 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have some warm days too of course, but it's not so bad most days, and we're mild in comparison to most of the other states around us. We've got a ton of trails, and plenty of campgrounds just about everywhere so I think Michigan would be a great spot.

The ACA has a Northern Route that would take you right to Mackinaw City, so all you'd have to do is hop on the ferry to get to the island.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...k/north-lakes/

League of Michigan Bicyclist has a pretty good site. It seems like they have some maps available for some of the perspective routes, but unfortunately it looks like none of their free downloads show a northerly track. I've never purchased any of their maps, only looked at the free ones, but the free ones are very resourceful so I'd imagine their ones available for purchase should be pretty good. Michigan Bicycle Maps, Routes, and other Rescources

If you're interested bike trails to get off the road, a great online resource is https://mitrails.org
They pretty much have info about any trail you can find. Also available in book form if necessary.
Old 04-30-18, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by xaosbp
We have some warm days too of course, but it's not so bad most days, and we're mild in comparison to most of the other states around us. We've got a ton of trails, and plenty of campgrounds just about everywhere so I think Michigan would be a great spot.

The ACA has a Northern Route that would take you right to Mackinaw City, so all you'd have to do is hop on the ferry to get to the island.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...k/north-lakes/

League of Michigan Bicyclist has a pretty good site. It seems like they have some maps available for some of the perspective routes, but unfortunately it looks like none of their free downloads show a northerly track. I've never purchased any of their maps, only looked at the free ones, but the free ones are very resourceful so I'd imagine their ones available for purchase should be pretty good. Michigan Bicycle Maps, Routes, and other Rescources

If you're interested bike trails to get off the road, a great online resource is https://mitrails.org
They pretty much have info about any trail you can find. Also available in book form if necessary.
Looks interesting. How are the black flies in that area in July? Heard they are pretty bad in the UP, and not really an issue further south.
Old 04-30-18, 01:59 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Looks interesting. How are the black flies in that area in July? Heard they are pretty bad in the UP, and not really an issue further south.

Not an issue. Even in the UP, they are pretty overhyped. They can be sporadically bad, but ther eis huge emphasis on sporadically, trying to guess when that will be is pretty pointless.

Mackinac Island is fun, but even though it is known as a cycling mecca, it leaves a lot to be desired for an actual cyclist. You'll be fighting hoards of tourists on rental three speeds that timeframe, good luck riding the flat ring road of an average north of 10MPH. Still, from a historical POV, a cool sight to see.

I've ridden a couple rides in that Elk Rapids to Mackinaw City area. Nice lightly traveled roads, good scenery, and some ups and downs if you are in for a bit more of a challenge than flatland. Depending if you want trails or roads, there is quite an extensive trail system on the west side of the state, including the 93 miles from Grand Rapids to Cadillac: Map - Friends of the White Pine Trail. If you want some ideas of other routes, you can take a look at the DALMAC and Zoo de Mack rides, both traverse that area as well.

You big issue will be camping. State campgrounds book six months out, and the popular ones will likely already be full that week. You may luck out with some of the rustic ones, and a few still offer in person reservations only (I believe denoted by "Local Booking" on the official sites).

If you have any specific questions, let me know!

EDIT: did a quick search to humor myself, there is actually a bit still available, but not a lot. DNR website on campgrounds: https://www.midnrreservations.com/Mi...StateParks?Map

Last edited by jefnvk; 04-30-18 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I’ll be in Indiana around the Fourth of July, and was originally thinking about riding the Katy Trail then, but read and heard from locals that it can be quite hot in the summer. I’d rather put that trip off for cooler months, so any thoughts on a reasonably closeby alternative that is a bit cooler?

Was thinking Michigan, but don’t know much about that area. Mackinac Island looks interesting for a day trip. I’d most likely ride for about a week, and would prefer to camp if possible. Also would prefer not driving much further west or too far north, since I ultimately need to drive back to the DC area.
I recall that last April you posted, “Suggestions for the next epic ride,"and I replied [besides Boston],
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan’s second largest industry, and it’s largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances.

IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin’…FWIW (even as a cross-country cyclist).

BTW, over the years I have responded to several of these threads with open-ended requests for travel destinations. One thing they have in common is that the OP never informs us of the final destination, much less how was the trip, even when requested to do so.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-30-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
...You big issue will be camping. State campgrounds book six months out, and the popular ones will likely already be full that week. You may luck out with some of the rustic ones, and a few still offer in person reservations only (I believe denoted by "Local Booking" on the official sites).

EDIT: did a quick search to humor myself, there is actually a bit still available, but not a lot. DNR website on campgrounds: https://www.midnrreservations.com/Mi...StateParks?Map
FWIW, a lot of my early touring was in the Metro Detroit / Ann Arbor area, still rural enough, on summer weekends (back in the1970's), and we always found sites. "Up North" are the real tourist destinations, probably north of about Midland, MI, and North of Bad Axe on the Thumb, as I recall back then.
Old 04-30-18, 02:23 PM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
FWIW, a lot of my early touring was in the Metro Detroit / Ann Arbor area, still rural enough, on summer weekends (back in the1970's), and we always found sites. "Up North" are the real tourist destinations, probably north of about Midland, MI, and North of Bad Axe on the Thumb, as I recall back then.
You'd be surprised today, even the Detroit area campgrounds are getting overrun. I've gone overnight bike camping at Pinckney Rec Area, just west of Ann Arbor and a nice 30ish mile ride from home, even that on nicer non-holiday weekends can be hard to get a spot. Last time I went, I pulled in to the sight of someone else setting up in my spot at 730, They figured it would be OK since no one was there yet and the rest of the campground was full I know a few people that will spend a week in Holly, south of Flint as well.

But yeah, in general places like Petoskey and Mackinaw are harder to get into. Lots of locals have no problem staying close to home, but there aren't many coming to the Detroit area for camping.
Old 04-30-18, 03:54 PM

I recall that last April you posted, “Suggestions for the next epic ride,"and I replied [besides Boston],
Still haven’t taken that epic trip yet. Fortunately there are plenty of nice, mundane areas to visit. In my defense, I asked about the Florida panhandle a few months ago, actually went there a few weeks ago, and sort of followed up here. It wasn’t quite epic, but was really nice. The beaches were kind of epic. Some of the nicest I’ve ever seen. And the state parks were awesome, even with all the RVs.
Old 04-30-18, 04:03 PM

How about a loop riding around the northern end of Lake Michigan, starting in Ludington and riding clockwise or counterclockwise, using the ferry to Mantiowac?
Old 04-30-18, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 442 Posts
How about a loop riding around the northern end of Lake Michigan, starting in Ludington and riding clockwise or counterclockwise, using the ferry to Mantiowac?
Sounds like a great loop. The ferry ride from Manitowac to Ludington is a pretty nice ride, if the weather is good. Especially if you don't mind being out on the water on a ship that is on the National Historic Register

The Ferry ride over to Mackinac Island is also pretty nice.