Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Customizing a Trek 520

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Customizing a Trek 520

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Customizing a Trek 520

Well, my cheap bike life took a new turn, delivering me a Trek 520 for $280. As this was less than the drivetrain and wheels I was going to put on my Miyata conversion project, to effectively make it the same as this bike, and as this is a touring bike from the beginning it was really a no-brainer. I hope this is my last stop on the hunt for something that fits well, that I am not too emotionally attached to from the get-go, and is cheap enough I don't mind risking damage/loss traveling abroad.

Bike itself is a 2004 example, stock except for bars, stem, and saddle (already replaced by me). Frame, wheels, and 3x9 105/Deore LX drivetrain are in pristine condition, brakes need a bit of work, as do all the cables/pads (expected). It was a 58, on the upper end of my comfort range, but riding it a little bit this weekend I got the fit to dang near the same as my comfy Mazama. There are a couple areas that need work:

1) Handlebars are too wide at 44. If I am swapping handlebars, I really like the ones on my Novara Mazama, pictured below. Are the Salsa Cowchippers the best commercially available example of these, as the Novara ones aren't sold? Also, for those that have them, how do they actually relate size-wise to more traditional flared bars?

2) Need new V-brakes arms, levers are fine. The springs on the brakes arms themselves are fairly corroded, while they are probably fine, I'd rather not find out the hard way they weren't when they break. Are the Avid Single Digit 5s that came stock a good replacement option, or should I look elsewhere? Not too familiar with V-brakes, the only set I have on the bike I took to Iceland are generic Tektros I got dirt cheap as an OEM takeoff.

3) Crank/gearing. It currently has the stock Hollowtech 105 triple, geared at 52-42-30. Simply put, with an 11t cassette and 38mm Marathons, I don't need or want 130 gear inches, and I do need lower than the 26 or so I have. In the long run, is it better to just buy a new Deore Hollowtech 48-36-26, which gets me to a more realistic 22-119 GI, or buy three rings and swap out what is on there, to something like a 46-36-24 giving me 20-114?

4) Wanting the loops for my Carradice, I am thinking about finally trying a leather saddle. Is the premium of the Brooks really worth it over the Gyes as far as quality? Has anyone used a Gyes long term?

And, because everyone likes pictures, here she is as purchased. Seat has come way down, and been replaced with a spare Avocet Touring for now:
Old 05-01-18, 11:20 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
....4) Wanting the loops for my Carradice, I am thinking about finally trying a leather saddle. Is the premium of the Brooks really worth it over the Gyes as far as quality? Has anyone used a Gyes long term?...
i've got the gyes GS-17 (brooks B17 clone). had it about a year, with about 5K on it now. never tried a brooks, so cannot compare. this model is 28cm long, and 18cm wide for upright riding at same height as the bars. the gyes broke in after about 500km, nice and comfy now.

looks like you get a new one on ebay for $40 plus shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gyes-GS-17-...IAAOSwu0hZd6Gn

Old 05-01-18, 12:47 PM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3505 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 1,163 Posts
You got a GREAT deal.

On brakes, just in case you might want fenders you should make sure you have long enough brake arms so that the cable and associated parts clear the fenders. This is not a complete list, but it is better than most.
https://www.gravelbike.com/v-brake-arm-lengths/

When you swap out the rear brake, just in case the rack interferes with the brake noodle, it is possible to buy flexible brake noodles. A little harder to find but they do exist.

Does the license plate stand for Mercury?
Old 05-01-18, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Does the license plate stand for Mercury?
Ha, no, I just hate photos that have childish scribbly marks all over the plate to obfuscate it, so I just killed the last few numbers in a color matching fashion to make it look like its only two letters.

And good info on the brakes, there will indeed be fenders added, hadn't considered the fender aspect.
Old 05-01-18, 01:45 PM
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Crank/gearing. It currently has the stock Hollowtech 105 triple, geared at 52-42-30. Simply put, with an 11t cassette and 38mm Marathons, I don't need or want 130 gear inches, and I do need lower than the 26 or so I have. In the long run, is it better to just buy a new Deore Hollowtech 48-36-26, which gets me to a more realistic 22-119 GI, or buy three rings and swap out what is on there, to something like a 46-36-24 giving me 20-114?
I'd go with the new rings if you want to keep it cheap, Jeff. Wolftech or Raceface?
Old 05-01-18, 02:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
I'd go with the new rings if you want to keep it cheap, Jeff. Wolftech or Raceface?
how much are rings? From the few looks Ive done over the years, it ends up being cheaper often just buying a whole crankset that comes with a bb for about 100 bucks or less.
Here in Canada the Salsa Cowbells are about 60 bucks, probably a bit less in the states, but only flare out a bit, the cowchippers are probably more expensive, but easy to find out.

On the handlebar note, dont be afraid to put on a much shorter stem, people say it makes teh steering too fast, but in my experience its not an issue, and the 520 I've ridden was a pretty slow steering bike anyway, throw on bags and a handlebar bag and it really wont be an issue. Remember on my Troll I have a 50 or 60mm stem and it not squirrely at all.

Man, you and buying bikes, sheesh....(great find though you son of a gun)

re your licence plate, dont worry, Ive already used an algorithm that has narrowed down the possibilities, in fact Im in your back yard right now typing this on my tablet, so get a beer ready please.

on a side note, I still dont see why you wouldnt just take the new red bike, but in any case, this is a bike that you could resell if you want and I think its pretty likely you wouldnt loose any money, even after changes you pay for. A touring bike in good shape around here is far and few between, and they get bought rather quickly, simply from looking at the costs of new ones, which are pretty much in the 2000 cad. range (more or less $1500, add 15% taxes, racks, bottle cages etc, and you are at 2k Canadian pretty quickly.)
Old 05-01-18, 02:31 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
IDK wear, just the crank is as fitted at the factory, as shipped from the crank factory..

Now You can put on the smaller one , a 24t, I expect.. mudguards, maybe a front pannier rack ..

check the rim wear, your choice of saddle pedals bars , etc..
Old 05-01-18, 08:53 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4446 Post(s)
Liked 4,105 Times in 2,740 Posts
If you want good V-Brakes (a wholly owned Shimano trademark) Deore or XT seems to work well. If you want the best linear pull brake, Paul Motolites would probably win hands down and would be my ultimate choice for linear pulls and what I am probably going to end up with on the Klein.

You could swap chainrings but Deore Hollowtech is a solid low cost option. I will say I still support the idea of square taper for world touring for ease of replacement but these Hollowtech II type cranks and BBs are OK in my book. Pretty easy to use and no real issues plus they could over all be lighter?
Old 05-01-18, 09:24 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
Isnt that a 5500 series 105 crank? Yellow label.
if so, pretty sure its Octalink and not hollowtech.
i would spend the $100 and get a new Deore triple plus BB. 3 new chainrings that are 130/74 with ramps will be $40-90 depending on what and where you buy. I would guess that realistically you could save $25 buying rings. Going Deore will mean new BB so thats one less component that you will potentially need to replace which is a benefit to me.
is that a 105 front derailleur? If so, not sure if it would fit the mountain crank. Pretty sure it will work, but just a heads up.

as for the handlebars- i have some cowchippers on a gravel bike- like em a lot. The design is different from Mazama, based on what i remember, but pretty similar. Origin8 Gary OS Sweep is another option thats similar to Mazama's. I have those too, but wouldnt want them on a touring bike.

MQFg0QaQPeUrOdwDgXvDpYjuU0nX5xBRi6isfpWtNbp1oKIRfORoCwLUQAvD_BwE
these have 12 degree of flare and are still pretty traditional compact drops.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/f...RoC0IMQAvD_BwE
same here- 12 degree of flare and still compact drops.
Old 05-02-18, 02:58 AM

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

On the crank, if you replace, you have a ton of options. I usually put on a square taper bottom bracket and crank. There is a wide variety of options that way.

The new Gran Prix I just got is the only bike in my fleet that is not square taper, but it is the only bike in the fleet that I did not build up from parts.
Old 05-02-18, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
I vote for getting a new crank and BB. You could even throw the 105 on CL and get some of your investment back. As for square taper, I really don’t think there’s a reason. Get yourself a decent crank(Deore or better) and it will come with a BB that should last you a while. They’re sealed and you don’t run the risk of possibly having a crank arm come loose and the square cranks get ruined right away like the old days. I’m a fan of the “easily available, most common parts” theory on most everything for a touring bike, but run modern cranks. If you spend the cash on a nicer BB, you pretty much have fail proof cranks.

As for the brakes, even the cheapest of crap v-brakes seem to work alright. Spend slightly more than that and you have solid brakes with a little better feel and looks than the really cheap ones. IMO, no need to spend a lot on that style brake.
Old 05-02-18, 08:43 AM

Well, in good news, I took her out for a 10 mile ride last night. Ran good, minus really needing to sort out the handlebars and brake cables and hardware.

Originally Posted by djb
Man, you and buying bikes, sheesh....(great find though you son of a gun)

re your licence plate, dont worry, Ive already used an algorithm that has narrowed down the possibilities, in fact Im in your back yard right now typing this on my tablet, so get a beer ready please.

on a side note, I still dont see why you wouldnt just take the new red bike, but in any case, this is a bike that you could resell if you want and I think its pretty likely you wouldnt loose any money, even after changes you pay for. A touring bike in good shape around here is far and few between, and they get bought rather quickly, simply from looking at the costs of new ones, which are pretty much in the 2000 cad. range (more or less $1500, add 15% taxes, racks, bottle cages etc, and you are at 2k Canadian pretty quickly.)
Ha, if you're in my back yard, you failed, I don't have one! Don't worry, if you find my place, the taps are behind the bar, should still have a sour, a bourbon porter and a red on there. Just use the dimple mugs below the bar, the ones on the shelves are just for decoration!

As far as the deal, it also came with a brand new RoadMorph G pump that I took off before taking the pic. I was going to buy another of this spring anyhow, so it is really like a $250 bike!

Few issues with taking the red bike: first, it fails the emotionally attached angle, I really don't want to lose that bike, it'd be dang hard to replace. This one is just meh to me, especially in that color, I can drop a few more bucks and buy another one at a moments notice. Secondly, and I agree this sounds silly, but the red is too "new". Wife knows it is new, it looks modern, she wants a generic new one if I take it. Even after telling her that this effectively has the same drivetrain and is modern and we'd get a her a new one if she wanted, she doesn't care. It looks like my old classic bikes, so she considers it an old bike. FWIW, I have no issue with us getting her a new bike, I just dread the buying process, because she won't make her own decisions (she bought her last bike for a tour because of the color, I only signed off on its suitability for our ride). Finally, I have as much fun buying and tinkering as I do riding

Originally Posted by fietsbob
check the rim wear, your choice of saddle pedals bars , etc..
Component wear is negligible, minus the corrosion on the brake hardware. Rims look perfect. Last guy used it as a college commuter for a few years, and judging by the wear, I took that to mean it sat on a porch around his house rarely being ridden.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you want good V-Brakes (a wholly owned Shimano trademark) Deore or XT seems to work well. If you want the best linear pull brake, Paul Motolites would probably win hands down and would be my ultimate choice for linear pulls and what I am probably going to end up with on the Klein.

You could swap chainrings but Deore Hollowtech is a solid low cost option. I will say I still support the idea of square taper for world touring for ease of replacement but these Hollowtech II type cranks and BBs are OK in my book. Pretty easy to use and no real issues plus they could over all be lighter?
Originally Posted by 3speed
I vote for getting a new crank and BB.
As for the brakes, even the cheapest of crap v-brakes seem to work alright. Spend slightly more than that and you have solid brakes with a little better feel and looks than the really cheap ones. IMO, no need to spend a lot on that style brake.
Yeah, I think I am just going to go new crank. I haven't ridden anything besides my Mazama and fat bike for the last half year. Took this out for 10 miles yesterday after getting a new saddle and making some adjustments, I hadn't realized realized how much more used to the wider Q-factor I had gotten. I'll probably just go for that Deore. And good to know there are no real things to think about with the brakes, probably will just go for the Deores.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
as for the handlebars- i have some cowchippers on a gravel bike- like em a lot. The design is different from Mazama, based on what i remember, but pretty similar. Origin8 Gary OS Sweep is another option thats similar to Mazama's. I have those too, but wouldnt want them on a touring bike.

MQFg0QaQPeUrOdwDgXvDpYjuU0nX5xBRi6isfpWtNbp1oKIRfORoCwLUQAvD_BwE
these have 12 degree of flare and are still pretty traditional compact drops.

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/f...RoC0IMQAvD_BwE
same here- 12 degree of flare and still compact drops.
What were those first bars? It just came across as a string of numbers and letters. I actually went to REI last night trying to figure out if I could order another set of Mazama handlebars through the parts department. Their main bike guy was already gone, but he is supposed to be looking into it this morning. I'll look into those other ones too.

Also, no clue on the Octalink v Hollowtech thing, just going based on the label on the crank:

On the crank, if you replace, you have a ton of options. I usually put on a square taper bottom bracket and crank. There is a wide variety of options that way.
Are all these bottom brackets compatible with the same threading on the frame, i.e. are they all interchangeable? Not too familiar with modern bottom brackets.
Old 05-02-18, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 3speed
... As for square taper, I really don’t think there’s a reason. Get yourself a decent crank(Deore or better) and it will come with a BB that should last you a while. They’re sealed and you don’t run the risk of possibly having a crank arm come loose and the square cranks get ruined right away like the old days....
I heard of someone losing the crank arm bolt back in the 80s, and then suddenly his crank arm fell off and was hanging from his foot from the toe clip. That was before clipless pedals existed and I only heard of that happening once. Have you heard of this happen to someone in the past couple decades?

Maybe the external bottom bracket bearings have gotten better now, but they were a common source of problems a few years ago. When I did Glacier Waterton in 2012 one of the riders had to have new external bottom bracket shipped overnight to a bike shop that we were going to be at a few days later when his bottom bracket failed. His loose wobbly crank sure looked funny when he was trying to pedal, and he had to pedal for a lot of miles to get to that bike shop.

Are all these bottom brackets compatible with the same threading on the frame, i.e. are they all interchangeable? Not too familiar with modern bottom brackets.
Almost all my bikes have the standard British thread pattern, but I have one old Italian bike that has Italian thread.

Some of the British thread bottom brackets have a 73mm shell, that was more of a mountain bike standard. My expedition bike has a 73mm shell. But from what i have seen, most touring bikes stay with 68mm.

My new Gran Prix and my one year old Lynskey both have 68mm British thread bottom bracket shells. I am sure your 520 would be British thread with a 68mm shell.

When it comes to the new carbon frames, there are lots of other oddball options like press fit, etc. And I have no clue what is going on with fat bikes, they likely have some other standards too.
Old 05-02-18, 09:48 AM

Almost all my bikes have the standard British thread pattern, but I have one old Italian bike that has Italian thread.
When it comes to the new carbon frames, there are lots of other oddball options like press fit, etc. And I have no clue what is going on with fat bikes, they likely have some other standards too.
OK cool, that was mostly what I was wondering. This looks like it had a standard thread-in BB, just didn't know if the different technologies all used the same threading (or what was threaded v press fit), or if they were all special. I wouldn't object to just tossing in a UN55 and finding a suitable square taper crank, but I may just run with the Deore too since I already know it.
Old 05-02-18, 09:49 AM

And the Gyes question is moot, didn't realize you could actually get Brooks under $90.
Old 05-02-18, 10:31 AM
Banned

Putting out more than the minimum, the Brooks adds skirt *skivving - hand done, a bit better hide , hand set copper rivets.
*tapered edge

Octalink is a splined interface vs a square taper, un screw the crank bolts and Look.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-02-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 10:57 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 11048 Post(s)
Liked 7,595 Times in 4,235 Posts
What were those first bars? It just came across as a string of numbers and letters. I actually went to REI last night trying to figure out if I could order another set of Mazama handlebars through the parts department. Their main bike guy was already gone, but he is supposed to be looking into it this morning. I'll look into those other ones too.
https://www.rei.com/product/116187/s...RoCwLUQAvD_BwE
salsa cowbell 3. Only $40 right now at REI and in wits narrower than what your current bars are. As for REI Novara Coop branded components, I was told by REI that they are not available for individual sale. That was a couple years ago though, for what it's worth.
Old 05-02-18, 11:07 AM
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Hollowtech is/was just a way of making the arms light, originally. Later it came (HT2 IIRC) to be the branding moniker for Shimano's entire external-cup-BB and arm/spindle interface system. Whereas ofc Octalink has always just been an axle interface for attaching two arms together with a sealed cart BB. Shimano did indeed make a generation of these retrospectively-bizzarro Octalink BB cranks with Hollowtech arms.

Last edited by Marcus_Ti; 05-02-18 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-02-18, 11:35 AM

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 230 Posts
....I wouldn't object to just tossing in a UN55 and finding a suitable square taper crank, but I may just run with the Deore too since I already know it.
you can still find beautiful NOS sugino 5-arm triples that will give you suitable gearing.....something like a 24-36-46.
Old 05-02-18, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Hollowtech is/was just a way of making the arms light, originally. Later it came (HT2 IIRC) to be the branding moniker for Shimano's entire external-cup-BB and arm/spindle interface system. Whereas ofc Octalink has always just been an axle interface for attaching two arms together with a sealed cart BB. Shimano did indeed make a generation of these retrospectively-bizzarro Octalink BB cranks with Hollowtech arms.
Ah, learn something new every day! I'll take it apart tomorrow, see what it looks like. As I stated, I was just going off the sticker.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
you can still find beautiful NOS sugino 5-arm triples that will give you suitable gearing.....something like a 24-36-46.
That would actually be right about the gearing I want, and those old Suginos are beautiful (about the only reason I wouldn't want the Deore, its looks leave a lot to be desired). Don't tempt me
Old 05-02-18, 11:43 AM
Banned

That 105 should be fine, 130 bolt circle , just means your middle ting is 38t or larger..

I've used a 24,40, 50 triple for decades with various (cold forged) cranks ..
13~34 t rear..
Old 05-02-18, 02:11 PM

OK cool, that was mostly what I was wondering. This looks like it had a standard thread-in BB, just didn't know if the different technologies all used the same threading (or what was threaded v press fit), or if they were all special. I wouldn't object to just tossing in a UN55 and finding a suitable square taper crank, but I may just run with the Deore too since I already know it.
I have a UN55 on my expedition bike. Trouble free.

I have no clue what tools would be needed to remove the bottom bracket you have on there now.
Old 05-02-18, 02:28 PM

I have a UN55 on my expedition bike. Trouble free.

I have no clue what tools would be needed to remove the bottom bracket you have on there now.
No clue either, but it looked fairly similar to the tool I have for the UN55. The non drive side is simply the one that can be taken off with any spanner wrench.

A sealed Shimano square taper is what came out of my 20 year old abused MTB when I rebuilt it for Iceland. I really had no need to even replace it, still smooth and acceptable. but I figured for the cost it might as well get done with everything else. Pretty much tells me all I need to know about its reliability.
Old 05-02-18, 03:37 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2748 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 801 Posts
Id start by at least seeing how much it would cost / availability of a smaller mid ring like a 38 , and a smaller granny like a 26 or 24. Confirm the bcd for this first, do the measurement thing if not sure, look it up to see how.
My wifes entry level road bike has an octolink crank on it, I seem to remember that I had to buy a new crank puller/bolt loosener tool for it, as its a bit diff than square taper. I did that because I changed out the 30 granny to a 25 yr old 28t I had in a box, and also changed the 12-25 cassette to a 11-28, was the easiest change to slightly lower gearing without changing the rd, I think I even had the 11-27 or 28 or whatever it was, taken off another friends bike at some point, to put a 11-32 cassette on.k

If you go the oiutboard bb route, you'll have to buy the tool to remove put it on, I got a no name brand one which was maybe 15 bucks, I dont recall, but after viewing vids and reading, I was able to remove and reinstal the outboard bb on my troll properly after I stripped the frame after buying it.
Was my first time doing anything with this type of bb and I must have done it properly, as it is still turning perfectly after about 6000km or more.
It was pretty straight forward to do, I just followed instructions I found on various vids, like the Park /tools ones for example, these are ones you can trust.

But you may be able to find a good used crank like someone mentioned, and just change the crnak, still using the existing bb, but see what it is first obviously.
Old 05-02-18, 03:40 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked 4,280 Times in 2,398 Posts

Also, no clue on the Octalink v Hollowtech thing, just going based on the label on the crank:

Hollowtech refers to the method that is used to make the crank arm. It has hollow chambers on the inside. Don't know how they do it but it make the crank lighter and stiffer. For your bike, it has Octalink since that's what Shimano used on their splined version of the Hollowtech. It may be Octalink or Octalink 2, there's no way of knowing without taking them apart. The Octalink 2 has a longer spline.

The tool you need to remove the crank arm is a Park CCP-44 crank puller (does anyone else think Russian space program?). It has a larger "button" for the larger axle of the Octalink. For the bottom bracket, you need a Park BBT-22 bottom bracket tool and a large wrench.

The bottom bracket should be the standard thread that you'll find on millions of bikes...i.e. British 1.37" x 24 tpi, left cup, right hand thread, right cup left hand thread.

I'd suggest looking for a 94/58 mm BCD crank. This allows you to use a 20 too inner ring. My current bike has a Race Face Turbine with 46/34/20 chainrings and the option for either an 11-34 or 11-36. That gives me a range of 117 gear inches to either 16.5 GI or 15.6 GI. That comes in handy around the eastern US.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-02-18 at 03:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.