Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Tell me which seat I should buy.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 08:40 AM
nub

Bikes: none yet :-(

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The stock saddle on my '05 Tassajara is painful after more than 10-20 minutes of riding. Weight isn't an issue, comfort is what I seek. Feel free to suggest a replacement. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-05, 09:03 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
My favorite saddles are the Fizik Aliante and the Fizik Gobi. They just work for me. I have used at least 15 - 20 different saddles though. The only way you can figure out what saddle works for you is to try as many as possible.
Old 11-20-05, 09:51 AM
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would I be better off buying a seat post with some sort of built in shock absorber or buying a new saddle? Right now all of bumps the rear wheel runs over is absorbed by my ass. I'm thinking something like an Honest Abe or Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension post would probably do more good than a new saddle.
Old 11-20-05, 09:58 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by depraved_tuna
Would I be better off buying a seat post with some sort of built in shock absorber or buying a new saddle? Right now all of bumps the rear wheel runs over is absorbed by my ass. I'm thinking something like an Honest Abe or Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension post would probably do more good than a new saddle.
Been there. Tried that! No. You are much better off getting a comfy saddle. Get a Brooks and your backside will thank you for years to come. I have 3 B17's on all of my Treks. Search the internet and this forum for Brooks saddles and you will discover a HUGE following.

As far as the suspension seatpost deal...I bought a new Thudbuster last Spring. I was very unimpressed. Don't get me wrong, it did what it was supposed to do, but I didn't really find it any better than just riding without one. Hard to explain why, but I didn't like the feel of having my saddle move relative to my pedals.

It just felt unnatural. I tried it for a few hundred miles and then sold it on ebay. I regard it as one of my worst bang for buck purchases of all times as it relates to cycling. This says a lot, because i have bought far too many things as my wife would attest. Meanwhile i regard the Brooks as the best purchases i have made. I often say that i would give up riding if i had to give up the Brooks.

That saddle that you got on your Tass is painful. I can't even stand to test ride those things at the LBS. It literally hurts to sit on one of those saddles. I am so used to not even thinking about the backside with the Brooks that when you sit on something like those OEM saddles it is almost like somebody jabs you with a foreign object.

Get a good saddle, and you will be happy on your Tassajara for many years to come.

Last edited by Portis; 11-20-05 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-20-05, 10:08 AM
Living the n+1

Bikes: 2019 RM Blizzard, 2013 SuperX, 2007 Litespeed Vortex, 1970 Falcon Olympic, 2008 RM Metropolis IGH, 2004 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Langster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few things....

1. If this is a new seat, it may take a little while to break in. I'm not sure about your history with biking or with this saddle. A newbie bum will hurt alot on any saddle for the first while.

2. I found that the adjustment (fore/aft, tilt, height) has a lot to do with comfort. On my roadie, a few mm makes a world of difference betweem pain & comfort. It took quite a while to find my ultimate position.

3. If you've had the saddle for quite sometime and have it adjusted correctly, a suspension seatpost could be the answer if you tend to sit in the saddle while going over bumps. I usually stand on the pedals even with a F/S.

Saddles are a personal thing, what is comfortable for one persons sit bones, may not be comfortable for yours. However, I've found that the WTB Rocket V & Specialized Telluride nice MTB saddles.

Cheers
T.J.
Old 11-20-05, 10:21 AM
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tend to stay on the pedals for larger bumps, but when I'm cruising on smoother, less bumpier trail, the seat still kills my ass bone (I'm not sure of the exact name of that part of my anatomy). This is my first bike, and I've been riding for almost two weeks. I'm a lard ass right now (5'10 250 lbs). I've played with the seat pitch adjustment, that's helped some. In the meantime, I'm going to check out some seats at an LBS tomorrow. Thanks Ranger, Joe and LowCel for your suggestions.
Old 11-20-05, 01:23 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Yea, I'm about 1 inch shorter than you and about 25 lbs less. I don't know what happened, but when I got on my bike this year, my butt hurt so bad I couldn't ride for a week. Everytime I rode, it hurt, even the beginner trails! I swallowed hard and bought a Bontrager, CRZ+Comfort seat last spring. (but it doesn't look like a comfort seat.) The difference was fantastic. I mean, no pain at all. It's better than a bottle of aspirin. If you want a picture or more details re-post and I'll provide.
Old 11-20-05, 04:09 PM
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocco: Sure thing, post away if you don't mind.