Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

using 26 wheels on a 29 fork??

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 09:15 PM
...leaving skid marks

Bikes: fuji track se ('02) | independent fabrication crown jewel ('04)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was thinking of running a rigid 29 fork on my ss, so i could run 700 cylcocrossy wheel using the canti brake bosses, or run my 26 mountain disc wheels. anybody done anything similar?? or is there some obvious reason this is a bad idea that im forgetting?
Old 11-20-05, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a '29er Marz fork on my touring bike, I don't think it's a problem. My bike has cross rims and tires and disc brakes. And it can fit 26 mtb rims on it also, kind of nice to have that as a option.
Old 11-21-05, 12:12 AM
Norcal 29er

Bikes: Gary fisher Mt Tam 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, you could do it, but there is no point. It would just be kinda stupid. You can get decent forks for 26 inch wheels so easily, that there is no need to use a 29er fork. And 29er forks are super expensive.

peace
harris
Old 11-21-05, 03:35 AM
Freak of Nature

Bikes: '05 Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harris
Yea, you could do it, but there is no point. It would just be kinda stupid. You can get decent forks for 26 inch wheels so easily, that there is no need to use a 29er fork. And 29er forks are super expensive.
you totally missed the point there: the guy wants to run the 'cross wheels, but also has 26" wheels.

The most elegant (and expensive) would be to get 29" mountain wheels. That way you wouldn't have to install a second brake mount for the front wheel (on a rigid you'll probably want that front brake). And there is a potential problem that the canti brakes will hit the tire on the 26" wheel.