Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

training

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-05, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
okay. for any xc racers out there. i am not planning on racing this upcomming season becasue i am still new to this sport, but i would like to start training a little. and i would like to know how i should go about this, i just want a little taste of what this means. i can get around 2 ride in on weekdays and possibly another 2, always 1 on the weekends. i have been reading some of the training articles in MBA but find they dont give a clear enough explanation. i dont want to go into hardcore training, just some light stuff that will make me an all around better cross country rider.

*yea i know it is a little early*
Old 11-27-05, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12206 Post(s)
Liked 1,501 Times in 1,111 Posts
Basic training is easy. One real hard ride a week. One medium ride at a steady pace (as much as possible). Then anything else is easy riding, as much as you want. Don't forget to stretch.

You may wind up wanting to learn about Zones and Lactate Threshold training all that stuff... But this will get you started.
Old 11-27-05, 08:43 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just pile in lots of easy miles right now. Make you rides longer and don't push too hard right now.It's like putting gas in the tank.
Old 11-27-05, 10:17 PM
so cal rider

Bikes: '06 hardrock sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long is a normal mtb race
Old 11-27-05, 11:44 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The fastest people I know just ride, ride, ride. Whether its going to the store to get butter or a fast 4 lap group ride, they just keep riding.
Old 11-28-05, 04:34 AM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by zx108
*yea i know it is a little early*
Actually it's not. I am already on my 2nd week of base 2 training. I have already done 6 weeks of prep work and four weeks of base 1. It is never too early.

Right now you should be spending the majority of your time in heart rate zones 1 and 2 and just putting time in. Mileage isn't that important. This is also the time to be doing gym work.

Here is my schedule for this week.

Sunday - Two hours on the road bike, at least half of the time in heart rate zone 2.

Monday - Gym for 1.5 hours in the morning. Then 45 minutes of power intervals on the trainer in the evening.

Tuesday - Rest day!

Wednesday - Gym for 1.5 hours in the morning. Then 30 minutes of easy spinning on rollers in the evening.

Thursday - One hour of tempo intervals. On road or trainer. Do 4-5 x 6 minutes in the 3 zone (2 minute recoveries).

Friday - Rest day!

Saturday - Ride on rolling course two hours. Big chain ring. Most of ride time in heart rate zone2-3. Seated on most hills.

Sunday - Ride on a flat to gently rolling course two hours. Get at least 50% of ride time in 2 zone. Avoid 3-5 zones.

Last edited by LowCel; 11-28-05 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-28-05, 09:56 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unlike a road race that is won on the hills during the last few km, an mtb race will be won at the beginning and on the hills.

If you can get out twice a day during the week I would say instead of riding twice use one of the workouts for running or swimming (if you have access to a pool). I would also do the running for the morning workout. Your legs will hate you when you ride that night but it will pay off plus the cross training will help you improve much faster. Plus the running will get you ready for those times you need to dismount the bike and carry it.

Do not worry too much about skill as long as you can hop small obstacles, up to 1', and negotiate rocks and roots fairly well.

Concentrate on ascending. You can win a lot of races, especially in the beginner’s class, if you can climb.

An mtb race can and usually is, won at the beginning of the race and climbs. Be able to start off fast and keep a good clip through out the race. If you can get out front, in the top 5, and are a good climber you have a great chance to win the race.

Not being able to ride with you I can not really give you a routine to go by since every one needs some thing a bit different. For starters though you could alternate the type of rides you do. One day do a long moderately paced ride, next day do a shorter sprint type (really bust you’re a$$) and on the third do a long, slow and easy recovery ride. On the first day and second day be sure to hit some good sized hills to help with your climbing. Also you should be sure to have a very good peddle stroke, nice and circular.

DBD
Old 11-28-05, 10:09 AM
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By the way, it is never too early to prepare for a race. For now get your endurance up and your climbing ability. As race time gets closer you can start to focus more on the little things that you may need to improve on but you need a good base to start with. Before I said use the third day as a recovery ride but depending on your fitness now you may need two days to recover. You could even (although you may find it boring) just go for an easy ride on the road. One very important thing, stretch before and after every ride and on days you do not ride.

DBD
Old 11-28-05, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the info guys. i am not sure how much riding i actually can do now that winter track season is starting. i have to see how i can work riding into my schedule.

so i want to start base training now, and early in the season?

what does base training consist of?

i really appreciate this guys.
Old 11-28-05, 04:48 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Pick up the book The Mountain Biker's Training Bible by Joe Friel. It will answer any question you could think of. Most coaches base their training on his methods. You can pick the book up for less than $20 on Amazon.
Old 11-28-05, 05:39 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

As for base basicly start out by doing long slow distances. Just ride the bike but try to keep your heart rate low during your rides. Try to stay primarily in heart rate zones 1 and 2. This helps you build up your endurance and base strength. This is also a great time to work on your spin. Try to eliminate the dead zone some by removing one leg at a time and then pedaling for 30 - 60 seconds with just one leg. Try to keep a steady cadence of 80 - 90 while doing this.