Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Out of shape- lol.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Out of shape- lol.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-06, 05:38 PM

Bikes: Trek Fuel 70 (Upgraded)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of shape- lol.

Well, i went bike shopping today, and after test riding about 30 of them i found one i liked.

I got the Gary Fisher Piranha - Was the best riding bike i tested (well, after they put a longer stem on it), and i got it for $599 + tax, and they threw in a Free $60 Giro helmet, water bottle holder, water bottle and Tire pump

And decided to take it for a test run on a bike trail near where i live (Paved ), not brave enough to do offroad yet. and its a 24 mile path round trip, and i did the whole thing on my first ride (Big mistake), -- the hills killed me a little bit but other than that the ride was fun... -- Then i got in car and had to pick up stuff from walmart,, unfortuinatly i couldnt stand up to get out of the car, my legs felt like noodles

So i need to get in better shape, which is one of the reasons i bought the bike, to loose weight and get into shape... im 6'2" and 260lbs.

But other than that its a great bike so far -- now i just need to learn how to do basic maintenence on it.

Last edited by OsiViper; 04-20-06 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-20-06, 05:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2 pacific all mountain bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OsiViper
Well, i went bike shopping today, and after test riding about 30 of them i found one i liked.

I got the Gary Fischer Pirhana - Was the best riding bike i tested (well, after they put a longer stem on it), and i got it for $599 + tax, and they threw in a Free $60 Giro helmet, water bottle holder, water bottle and Tire pump

And decided to take it for a test run on a bike trail near where i live (Paved ), not brave enough to do offroad yet. and its a 24 mile path round trip, and i did the whole thing on my first ride (Big mistake), -- the hills killed me a little bit but other than that the ride was fun... -- Then i got in car and had to pick up stuff from walmart,, unfortuinatly i couldnt stand up to get out of the car, my legs felt like noodles

So i need to get in better shape, which is one of the reasons i bought the bike, to loose weight and get into shape... im 6'2" and 260lbs.

But other than that its a great bike so far -- now i just need to learn how to do basic maintenence on it.
Heh ride that thing about 50 miles a day!
Drive baby DRIVEE!!!
Old 04-20-06, 05:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, i know i need to ride longer than that, but i havent been on a bike in 5 years since i broke my leg..

Got good reviews on MTBR also
Here is link to specs if anyone is interested:
Gary Fisher - Piranha
Old 04-20-06, 05:51 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got good reviews on MTBR also
Here is link to specs if anyone is interested:
Gary Fisher - Piranha
MTBR is full of it , i wouldn't doubt that half the responses are fro the manufactures
Old 04-20-06, 06:14 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Head over to the Training and Nutritional forums of this site when you get a chance. There are a lot of very encouraging people over there that will help you lose your extra weight. I've gone through it myself, I'm down a little over 50 pounds from where I was 16 months ago. I'm 5' 10", I used to weigh 220 pounds, I currently go between 168 and 172.
Old 04-20-06, 06:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next payday i want to get a new seat (and MAYBE clipless pedals - but im not sure yet)..
The seat on the bike now is like sitting on a rock

Any reccomendations on comfortable seats? lol
Old 04-20-06, 06:30 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next payday i want to get a new seat (and MAYBE clipless pedals - but im not sure yet)..

It's hard to reccomend a seat for some one else . They are somewhat of a personal fit.
Old 04-20-06, 06:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If you aren't in riding shape then your ass isn't either. Give it a month on the stock seat before making any rash decisions. Softer is NOT better when picking a saddle.
Old 04-20-06, 06:37 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by yater
If you aren't in riding shape then your ass isn't either. Give it a month on the stock seat before making any rash decisions. Softer is NOT better when picking a saddle.
I hate to do the whole "+1" thing but yater is exactly right.
Old 04-20-06, 08:28 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't listen to snazz, 24 miles is impressive and quite a bit of exersize.
Old 04-20-06, 09:40 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale Super-V DH, Cannondale Super-V Raven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with ya on the out of shape thing.

It had been only about a year or so since I rode pretty much every day when I had some bloodwork done for school three days ago.

Needless to say, the results were a little less than impressive. While overall my numbers were good (good BP, good cholesterol, etc etc) my triglycerides were WAAAAAAAAAAAAY elevated. We're talking more than DOUBLE the recommended maximum.

This was done three days after I rode my bike. The REALLY interesting part was that my AST and ALT levels were also elevated. Normally, high AST and ALT levels indicate liver or heart damage, but can also be caused by damage to muscles from vigorous exercise, which is what I suspect it was in my case. If your muscles are in decent shape, the levels of AST and ALT do not elevate as high with exercise. In the three days I had my new bike before I took the test, I rode the thing until I thought I was going to fall off of it from exhaustion. The sad part is that I was only on the thing for about 2 hours or so.

Getting a new bike is a humbling experience when you don't realize how out of shape you are. I plan to remedy this with a formal "get back in shape" routine and a carefully controlled diet.
Old 04-20-06, 10:11 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
That's a great bike. It was on my short list when I was looking last year. By the way, before you buy a saddle, are you planning on wearing padded cycling shorts? That will make a big difference in your saddle choice. The comment about waiting before buying a saddle is a good one. Both my Specialized bikes have the original saddle and I really like them.
Old 04-21-06, 04:50 AM
Chillin' Chillin'

Bikes: kona stinky, voodoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24 miles on your first ride is pretty impressive. Keep at it and just work up slowly.
Old 04-21-06, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Congrats on getting back out there. That must be a very good saddle for you, if you could ride 20+ miles on your first day back on the bike without crying or having anything go numb, that is a brilliant saddle.

The only part that should be sore are the sit bones on either side of your bung. That's what's good about a hard saddle is it won't press on the other tenderer bits.

Ron
Old 04-21-06, 12:06 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,312 Times in 2,417 Posts

I got the Gary Fisher Piranha - Was the best riding bike i tested (well, after they put a longer stem on it), and i got it for $599 + tax, and they threw in a Free $60 Giro helmet, water bottle holder, water bottle and Tire pump

I'm glad you got a bike! 24 miles at a first bike is possibly a little...over enthusiasitc, especially for a first ride. But you survived it so move forward.

As for the riding off-road thing, think of your bike as a stick. You can put the stick on the wall and admire it or you can use it like sticks were meant to be used: Poke stuff with it! Go for a ride along that bike path and look for places other people have taken off into the woods. Poke your bike (stick) down them until you either run into a fence or you run into something that bites Once you are done poking that part of the world with your stick, go poke other bits. The next thing you know you are in shape, you've had a lot of fun, your stick is a little worn and you are a happy camper!

Don't wait to go pokin', however. Go now. Don't worry about what the world thinks, worry about what you think. Have fun, bruise some stuff and get dirty. Don't wait!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-21-06, 12:28 PM
Throw the stick!!!!

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Don't wait to go pokin', however. Go now. Don't worry about what the world thinks, worry about what you think. Have fun, bruise some stuff and get dirty. Don't wait!
Hmmm, not sure I should let my wife see this description of bike riding.
Old 04-21-06, 12:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats man, heh im in the same boat as you. I'm 207 right now at 5'11. I just got a Rockhopper 2 days ago, and I'm lovin it. Watch out tho the first day ur ass is gonna be sore . I Did 13 miles first day, and i did the same today. It's fun. Enjoy the new bike!
Old 04-21-06, 02:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Hmmm, not sure I should let my wife see this description of bike riding.
Don't listen to him. Last time I tried that, I got arrested.
Old 04-21-06, 03:11 PM
Chillin' Chillin'

Bikes: kona stinky, voodoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I'm glad you got a bike! 24 miles at a first bike is possibly a little...over enthusiasitc, especially for a first ride. But you survived it so move forward.

As for the riding off-road thing, think of your bike as a stick. You can put the stick on the wall and admire it or you can use it like sticks were meant to be used: Poke stuff with it! Go for a ride along that bike path and look for places other people have taken off into the woods. Poke your bike (stick) down them until you either run into a fence or you run into something that bites Once you are done poking that part of the world with your stick, go poke other bits. The next thing you know you are in shape, you've had a lot of fun, your stick is a little worn and you are a happy camper!

What???? Dude, your just strange.
Old 04-21-06, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca Di2, Pinarello Fp6, Orbea Alma X9, BMC Trailfox01 X0, Niner A9c X0, Niner A9c XX w/ lefty

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yater

LOL,
+2
Old 04-21-06, 04:16 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

You can be the fittest person around but unless you are bike fit, you are going to have problems on a 24 mile ride. Then there is the fact you have a mountain bike- on the road- stupid. Knobbly tyres grab hold of tarmac, and also require higher pressures to cut out drag. Then there is the bike set up that has to be done- mainly saddle height and position, but also bar height, if that can be adapted. Then there is your body, but you have found out about that. If you have a mountain bike- do not be afraid to take it offroad. That is what they are made for. Only thing is take it steady on the downhills till you get used to the bike and the speed. Other thing to remember is that offroad is more tiring so plan a 10 mile route initially as that will be around 15 on the road. Then take in tougher routes and take in more milage. Won't be long before you wonder why you even thought of riding the mud plugger on the road.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-21-06, 07:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, i did another 24 mile ride today on the path, went home and was feeling fine -- decided to go out and go riding again -- lol.

Went to a Trail around here called the Telegraph Trail and the meadow loop, a basiacly easy Ride -- Except for the ride up to it which is about 2 miles up a rocky road at a fairly steep grade (I ended up walking that), got up to the top and started talking to a guy that was up there and he reccomended the Meadow loop which was where i was headed anyhow, said it has a steady uphill climb but not steep at all, i rode most of it but after doing 24 mile before that and walking 2 miles up a steep rocky hill i couldnt ride all the way up so i walked the last 1/3 of it. -- Now the downhill part was FUN - i forgot how much fun mountain biking was
I ended up using alot of brakes on the way down the meadow loop, because its about 5 miles uphill with a shallow grade climb and 2 miles down with a steeper grade decent (not to mention the ride down the 2 mile rocky road ) got my bike home and had to clean all the dust off of it that was all over the derailurs and the chain, brakes, etc. but its nice and clean now (And ready for tomorrow if it doesnt rain )

I picked up a hydration pack from a LBS and that was a nice thing to get - holds alot more water and keeps it cold.. i Also picked up a couple of those "Cliff" bars from Wally world and had one about 10 mins after the ride and that seemed to help keep my energy level from dropping off..

All in all it was a fun day, except i dont think i will do the 24 mile paved trail and the actual trail mountain biking in the same day, too much at first

But i dont think i will do much more paved stuff anymore unless the trails get all muddy and nasty, which might happen cause it looks like its gonna rain

Oh well, this is already too long to read, by now you might wanna have a cup of coffee to keep yourself awake......
Old 04-21-06, 08:00 PM
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great time.
Old 04-23-06, 08:50 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6276 Post(s)
Liked 4,312 Times in 2,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Girlscout13
What???? Dude, your just strange.
Nope. Not strange. Just a guy. We like to poke stuff with a stick. Here's one of my best "pokin' stuff" stories:

"Rachael, go into this dip fast so you can carry your momentum through to the uphill on the other side! Push it! Faster! That a girl! I'm right behind you!"

BBBZZZZTTTT!

"Hey, Dad! How did you get up there? And when did you learn to FLY!?"

"That buzz you just heard was a snake and I'm not coming down until I find out where it is!"

Ah, yes. The western diamondback. As in snake. As in rattlesnake. With fangs. Growing up out on the plains of eastern Colorado, you learn early on that when you hear that distinctive buzz, you jump into the air and you don't come down until you find out where the snake is. Even if it means flying for weeks at a time. Whole towns have been known to walk around 6 feet in air and not because they are overly happy! And if you did happen to find out where it was there was only one response - kill it!

My mom only has one super power and that is her ability to kill rattlesnakes - large or small. In Fowler, where I grew up, they call her the Terror. She would be walking down the road, just an innocent looking Annt Bee type of lady carrying a small hand bag and wearing one of those silly pill box hats. She'd hear that buzz and out would come a full-sized, razor-sharp shovel and the snake's head would be separated from its shoulders - so to speak - faster than a French King's! And then she would leave the snake where it lay as a warning to all the other rattlesnakes of the world. Very effective!

Now I can jump into the sky and never come down when I'm around a rattlesnake, much to the amazement of all my friends and acquaintances. It's even more impressive when I have a bike attached to my feet and I just hanging around still on the bike. I've never shared my mother's blood lust when it comes killing rattler's since I figure that I'm invading its home and it's just doing snaky things. But being a guy, I have the typical guy response to anything that is dangerous - I get a stick and I poke it! Or throw rocks at it. Standing there like the moron that I am with my daughter on the side of Green Mountain poking a poisonous snake with a stick - a poisonous snake that is already mad because I almost ran over it, I thought this is really dumb when "BBBZZZZTTTT!" and we're both standing 6 feet off the ground. That's when I realized I had just the answer - I need a longer stick!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-23-06, 11:09 PM
Obeying Gravity

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's awesome man! Glad you're enjoying it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.