Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

New parts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-06, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New parts....but....

Hey everyone,

Studying for exams right now, pretty boring, then comes the knock on the door.

New parts!

Got sick of messing with my hayes sole and thought i'd try some juicy 5's. Also needed a new cassette (970) and my post was alwyas slipping b/c it was shimmed. So I thought the hell with it, and got a thomson.

Cool

But, I do have a question or two.

First, On my old post, the shim was for a 27.2 -> 30.8. I was under the impression that posts were 30.9 not 30.8, hence the reason for my post always slipping every 10 mins. SO I ordered a 30.9. Now when I go to insert it, it's pretty tight, it goes in but I have to twist it slightly.......nothing extreme....is this ok? *edit didn't put any grease on, only what was in there , that might help*

Secondly, not really a question, but i was surprised when I got the brakes, they are slightly different than they appear on the web. At least the rotors anyway. They sent me the bb7 rotors I believe, 2002 models for crying out loud......going to have to send them back and ask for the wavies....

Regardless, i'm really excited and can't wait until I can install these, plus I got them at a great deal (thanks bikeroom!), at least compared to any of my LBS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_4756.jpg (94.3 KB, 18 views)
IMG_4757.jpg (82.4 KB, 15 views)
IMG_4760.jpg (82.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by PCS2; 04-21-06 at 04:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-21-06, 01:57 PM

Bikes: 2005 Specialized hardrock pro... pike426, e.13 drs, fsa gap crank, formula k24's, and some more/2006 Scattante R-660 easton circuit wheels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats on the new stuff
Old 04-21-06, 01:59 PM
succumbs to errata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats!

Re: The seatpost, you shouldn't have to force it at all. Even without lube, it should slide in. I'd try cleaning out the seat-tube.
Old 04-21-06, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey, thanks for the replies.....

yeah, I figured the post should just slide in......but it doesn't quite do it......so close.

But for post sizings, all I can dig up in that range is 30.0, 30.9 and 31.6 (mm). The 30 and 31.6 would obviously be rediculously too small/large so I thought 30.9 would be the right fit.

I'll try giving it a good cleaning.........does anyone know if giant uses a funny seat tube diameter?

thanks again, new parts are always so much fun
Old 04-21-06, 02:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so do you guys think I should bother to return the rotors for the wavy rotors?

are they any better? I read a review that he wavy ones sometimes caused some pulsating in the levers....