Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

upgrade fromTrek 4300 to 4500

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

like to upgrade the fork for 4300 but can get 4500 bike for similar price , is that better deal do you think ??

or just upgrade the fork with lockout ????

thxalot
Old 04-22-06, 05:58 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the 4500 isn't much different than the 4300, and the fork on the 4500 is terrible. Keep your 4300 and get a new fork. What's your price range?
Old 04-22-06, 06:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only can get Rock Shock JUdi 2,3 or 4 ???

what would be best for me and they will take stock fork and replace him
Old 04-22-06, 06:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RockShox Judy J3

* Travel: 80mm
* Adjust: N/A
* Weight: 2117g / 4.66 lb
* Spring: Coil
* Adjust: Preload
* Damping: TurnKey Lockout
* Adjust: Eternal rebound, lockout, PopLoc remote option
* Lowers: Magnesium
* Crown: Forged 6061 T-6 aluminum
* Steerer Tube: Steel
* Upper Tube: 28mm 4130 steel
* Options: Aluminum steerer, XL steel steerer, remote, post/no-post lower, light spring
* Recommended Rear Shock: Bar
* Upgrade: TurnKey Lockout, external rebound

how is this ???
Old 04-22-06, 06:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this fork good ???

RockShox Judy J1 m/preload, 80mm

thxalot
Old 04-23-06, 02:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There should be some guru here ???

thx
Old 04-23-06, 02:52 AM
Long haired freak.

Bikes: 2011 SE Old Man Flyer.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doesnt sound to bad.

"the bus came by and I got on, that's when it all began...there was Cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never-ever land."

Old 04-23-06, 07:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But what about upgrading from 4300 to 4900 ???

please help me
Old 04-23-06, 07:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4300 to 4900 would be worth it. You should look online for some Mx comp forks.
Old 04-23-06, 07:45 AM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
It seems like you are really unsure. If you have any doubt, that is you telling you not to do it. (Ha, I should talk)...anyway....Although I own a Trek, I also own different brands as well. Look around and see if something "catches" you. You aren't in any rush are you? Do it for you. If you move up to the 4900, you are also opening up yourself to the possiblility of "more" bike in other brand names. Try out other bikes, ask the LBS your questions. Compare. You will come out much more informed. And hopefully you will find what you need in your price range. I have a Kona, a Giant and a Gary Fisher as well. All for different applications. Good luck and don't tie yourself down to Trek if you are doubtful.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-23-06, 08:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but is the stock fork for 4900 not OK???

thx
Old 04-23-06, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Iron Horse Rogue / Mongoose ALD Pro / Fuji Sunfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Woods

Any reason you are only considering Trek? Don't get me wrong, they are fine bikes, but when it comes to value for money they aren't so great (unless the shop in question is giving you a great deal).

Check out brands like GT, Iron Horse and Mongoose (proper LBS, not Walmart). They offer much higher end bits on their bikes for much less.
Old 04-23-06, 09:02 AM
Why Be Normal?

Bikes: 2005 Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valbowski1980

Check out brands like GT, Iron Horse and Mongoose (proper LBS, not Walmart). They offer much higher end bits on their bikes for much less.
Just once I'd like to see someone back that up with examples rather than the empty words that they are. There are a lot of quality manufacturers out there, all with a comparable line of bikes. So please, school me, show me some "much higher end bits" on a comparably priced bike at this level...
Old 04-23-06, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorsar
Just once I'd like to see someone back that up with examples rather than the empty words that they are. There are a lot of quality manufacturers out there, all with a comparable line of bikes. So please, school me, show me some "much higher end bits" on a comparably priced bike at this level...

Did you bug others to do your homework for you at school as well? You have hands, a brain, an Internet connection, and I presume that you can figure out how to user google.

I bought my Rogue for just under 600, Judy SL, Hayes Nine Brakes, Deore LX, WTB rims.... specs wich would have pushed others to well over a grand.... go ahead and find an equat Trek at that price.

All it takes is a bit of effort so like my history teacher used to say, "look it up!" It takes effort and if you can't be bothered then too bad.
Old 04-23-06, 02:01 PM
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have a 4300 already and are asking if you should buy a 4500 or 4900 instead? If so, no. You put some money into the bike and regardless of how little used it is, you won't be able to sell it for what your paid for it. Ride it, learn your skills, get you money's worth out of it, learn its shortcomings from personal experience. Then in a year or two (maybe 3 if you're like me), you'll know what you really want from a bike and be ready to buy that. The difference between those 3 bikes is not very pronounced, and a beginning rider is unlikely to appreciate them as much as you will when you have more experience. If you have a 4300 and want to upgrade the fork, unless you've found a really killer deal, I'd say hold off for the same reasons. The stock fork is nothing spectacular, but it does take the edge off the bumps and keeps the tire in better contact with the ground than a rigid like it's supposed to. Nicer forks will be lighter, usually more durable, and have a smoother feel to them. Again, ride it, learn its shortcomings for your riding style, then figure out what forks on the market overcome those shortcomings (or perhaps at that point you'll be ready to invest in a higher level bike).

If you're just asking if you should buy a 4500 or 4900 instead of a 4300, I say definitely yes! Few people ever regret going a step up on their bike purchase. Those who do have regrets are usually the type who put it in the garage and never ride it. Having a nice bike to begin with though, generally allows you a more pleasant riding experience, and people who enjoy riding definitely get their money's worth. Although I said the differences between the three bikes in question are small, over the life of the bike, they will make themselves apparent.

I bought a Trek 4500 a little over 3 years ago, and I've gotten great use out of it, from just riding to the store, to hitting some fairly rough trails, and even doing a few drops with mostly the stock parts. It's not ideal (I'm researching my ideal bike right now ), but it gets the job done and I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
Old 04-23-06, 02:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thx jamlucky

But 1 question the stock fork for 4900 is he good or ???
thxalot
cheers
Old 04-23-06, 02:19 PM
Footballus vita est

Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Judy J1 is fine. It's a little bit nicer than the Judy TT on my bike. Having a coil spring and damper instead of an elastomer like on the bottom end forks gives a more progressive feel and better cold weather performance. The fork is kind of heavy, but not oppresively so. Like I said, it will do the job fine for an entry level to intermediate level rider. By the way, the 4500 and 4900 have the same fork. The main difference is the disc brakes.
Old 04-24-06, 05:52 AM
Why Be Normal?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by valbowski1980

Did you bug others to do your homework for you at school as well? You have hands, a brain, an Internet connection, and I presume that you can figure out how to user google.

I bought my Rogue for just under 600, Judy SL, Hayes Nine Brakes, Deore LX, WTB rims.... specs wich would have pushed others to well over a grand.... go ahead and find an equat Trek at that price.

All it takes is a bit of effort so like my history teacher used to say, "look it up!" It takes effort and if you can't be bothered then too bad.
I sure did. Another thing I've gotten a bit rusty on is dealing with idiots who make biased generalizations, thanks for honing my skills. Check the 4900 for the Trek equivilant for your bike by the way. LMAO, what a schmuck...

Last edited by Gorsar; 04-24-06 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-24-06, 09:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorsar
I sure did. Another thing I've gotten a bit rusty on is dealing with idiots who make biased generalizations, thanks for honing my skills.
Anything I can do to help...

Also, how exacly am I biased? Please explain this. Does shopping around and getting the best product for my hard earned dollar make me such? Please explain....

The best that you can come up with is "idiot" and "shmuck". Hey, ever hear of Hank Rearden? You two would make the best of palls I bet.

Check the 4900 for the Trek equivilant for your bike by the way. LMAO, what a schmuck...
Nice try slick but did you actually look at the specs?

-Shimano M495, mechanical disc w/Tektro (rubbish) alloy levers on the 4900 while my Rogue has the Hayes 9 Hydros... bit of a difference there.

-Alivo shifters on the Trek, Deore on my Rogue... bit of a difference there as well.

-Judy SL (top Judy fork) for the rogue, J1 (lowest Judy fork) for the Trek

-Acera front Derailleur for the Trek, Deore for the Rogue

Not that "equivilant" is it?
Old 04-24-06, 09:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I'm with Valbowski, to give you straight up pure comparision compare the 520$ Specialized Rockhopper to the 520$ Trek 4500, the specs are similar but the Rockhopper edged out the Trek with an LX derailleur (I'm talking about what I've seen in LBS here, I think the US RH has SRAM), a J3 fork, disc ready hubs, 9 speed and overall a better component packagae, its not much yes I know but at the same price they are considerable differences.

Oh and whats with Trek equipping the Trek 6500 with Axel Elites?!?

Great bikes, the Treks are, but great value, they do no have.
Old 04-25-06, 04:46 AM
Why Be Normal?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My point is a simple one, and apparently not hitting it's mark with you. The difference in bikes at comparable price points is negligible at best and what difference there is, unless the two bikes are identical in fit in feel, is not worthy of being the deciding factor.

The exception I took to your statement, as clearly pointed out above, was your "much higher end bits on their bikes for much less". I'd hardly call any examples you posted above "much higher" let alone "higher end" at all. You're happy with your bike, not only do I not argue with you on that point but I'm genuinely happy to hear it. To attempt to turn someone anyway from a specific brand with an exaggeration is a bit over the top, and in the end, at least in my opinion, is simply an attempt to justify your own purchase.

And Chone, you won't get any arguments from me with your statement. While I currently own a Trek, I've been in to ride a Rockhopper and a Hoo Koo E Koo several times and am just to much of a wuss to pull the trigger yet.

The point once again in case you missed it V is this. No one on ANY bike, let alone a sub $1000 bike, should make a decision based on components. Not only are they all within the entry level of their respective manufacturers but they are replaceable. I am not dogging out the Rogue, it honestly looks like a pretty nice ride, I'm SIMPLY saying that the "buy mine because it rocks and everything else sucks" is used WAY to much around here by people that likely have no clue or experience with the product they are proclaiming theirs superior over.

Personally, and this may be JUST me, if someone doesn't have time to post anything but a glaring generalization or a blanket statement I'd rather they not post at all as I feel it's more misleading than anything else. Your post above with point to point comparisons however I feel to be useful and valid. While not deal breakers to ME, provide factual evidence to support your OPINION.

You've got your opinion I've got mine. What I DON'T see is why either one of us would feel inclined to force ours on someone else. And your Hank comparison? "Did you bug others to do your homework for you at school as well? You have hands, a brain, an Internet connection, and I presume that you can figure out how to user google." sounds more up his alley.
Old 04-25-06, 03:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an older 4500 with no orrigonal pats on it If you can aford it put a rockshock Reaba with the lock out
Old 04-25-06, 04:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you allready have a bike you like just build what you want I put a mavic cross land weal set on avid bb7 disc breaks and a rockshok reaba front fork now its a 4900 love my bike