Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Chain guide and rear deraileur?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-06, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently put on an E13 SRS on my Kona Coiler with only a 32 tooth ring. I used the same chain length as i had with the original 22/32 tooth because i figured the largest gear combination was going to be the same. The guide tightened the chain a bit, but I thought it would be fine. I'm now having problems adjusting the rear deraileur: I can not get it to shift and stay on the innermost cog even though the limit screw has been backed off quite a bit and the cable is as tight as it will go. I noticed that the cage is bent a little and I'm afraid that the poor chainline mixed with the tighter chain (caused by the guide) has bent it. Should I have used a longer chain and is my deraileur messed up beyond help? I'm pretty frustrated and would appreciate some help. Thanks.
Old 04-24-06, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bueller..........
Old 04-25-06, 06:18 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's no reason your chainline should be any better or worse with a properly installed SRS.
WRT chain length, your reasoning was correct - there's no reason to lengthen it.

If your derailleur is bent, you should fix that problem first, then reevaluate.
Old 04-25-06, 06:43 AM
KGB Style

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, if your derailleur is adjusted all the way in it makes no different if it's bent because that screws it all up. e.13's are awesome.
Old 04-25-06, 09:02 AM

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
I'm by no means an expert here. But, I am contemplating a chainguide myself. If a chain is already the correct length to just get into the longest chain combo and run smooth, wouldn't adding the chainguide (which takes up at least a few links of chain slack) cause problems with the length for the longest combos? I could see a potential for bending a deraileur there. But again, I'm new to chainguides so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 04-25-06, 09:21 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nodnerb
If a chain is already the correct length to just get into the longest chain combo and run smooth, wouldn't adding the chainguide (which takes up at least a few links of chain slack) cause problems with the length for the longest combos?
I have found that the chain deflection caused by the lower jockey wheel/roller takes up less chain length than you may think - maybe one link, but certainly not two.

edit: although a short cage derailleur will certainly be less forgiving, as will a larger chainring in the front. 32T shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by cryptid01; 04-25-06 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-25-06, 10:56 AM

Bikes: 2022 Marin Team Marin 2

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gastro
I have found that the chain deflection caused by the lower jockey wheel/roller takes up less chain length than you may think - maybe one link, but certainly not two.

edit: although a short cage derailleur will certainly be less forgiving, as will a larger chainring in the front. 32T shouldn't be a problem.
Good to know. I'll take your word for it. Just looks like it would be at least a few links. But I guess "looks like" isn't an acurate measurement.
Old 04-25-06, 11:15 AM
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nodnerb
I'll take your word for it.
Whatever you do, don't do that!

Just give it a test fit before you add any links, and it may save you the trouble.
Old 04-25-06, 11:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey thanks for the replies, i was getting worried i wasn't going to hear anything.
Old 04-25-06, 11:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey thanks for the replies, i was getting worried i wasn't going to hear anything. i probably should deal with the deraileur and go from there. i brought it up though because since installation i have been in my lower gears for most of the time and when i am on these cogs, the cage is bent perfectly in line with the chainline from the deraileur to the chainring.