Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Another phase in commuter initiation

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-01, 09:29 AM
Mr. Cellophane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Several months ago, not long after I started commuting, I posted a thread on my rites of passage as a commuter - first flat, first crash, etc. Yesterday, I "achieved" another. Riding home, yet again, in pouring rain from the remnants of Tropical Storm Allison, I had a rear wheel puncture while riding through a block-long "puddle". My first puncture in the rain. The puncture actually occurred just before I got into the puddle. Anyway, as luck would have it, I was right in front of an electical contractor with a large garage/storage area. I stuck my head in the front door in all my yellow-rain-jackted, dripping wet, cyclist glory to ask if I could change my flat in their garage. They said sure. Of course the only open area was right by the wide open doors so I got basically no protection from the wind-driven rain. But at least I was able to get what I needed out of my panniers and get them somewhat out of the weather without having to open them in pouring rain.

My "growth" as a bicycle commuter continues. And I could really identify with the Giro riders on Stage 20 this morning!
Regards,
Rainman
Old 06-09-01, 09:45 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can I identify with that!

I was on my way to the office about 6:30 one very rainy morning, had just walked around a big puddle, re-mounted, pedaled a few feet when BANG! a noise like an air rifle and something definitely wrong.

I stopped and looked: the rear tire had been punctured by a three-inch spike that had then been propelled up into the VistaLite blinker mounted on the rear of the rack. It shattered the VistaLite lens in addition to puncturing the tire. I was glad it hit the light instead of the back of my head....

There was no shelter within a quarter mile. I walked the bike back to the City Market, found a kind of picnic area with an overhang and tried to fix the flat, but it was hopeless, everything was sopping wet. (No spare tube, naturally.) I finally walked the bike to my bike dealer, who luckily was only a couple of blocks away, chained it up outside his front door, and took a bus home. I called the office and explained what was going on; then I called the bike shop and left a message on the answering machine there about my predicament.

That's the kind of day that sticks in the mind as "one of those days."
Old 06-09-01, 12:00 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, Rainman and JonR,

In my book, you guys make average Joe Automobile Commuter appear to be a little on the "wimpy" side...in fact, I could take a few lessons in manhood from either of you.

On my Atlanta route, usually summer heat is my main obstacle.
A little rain might be kind of nice...(emphasis on, "little.")

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 06-09-01 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-09-01, 02:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's a major milestone for humanity if a shop keeper gives you simple hospitality to fix your bike. I took an ill-advised ride one freezing January day and needed a wrench. (That was the last time I rode without tools.) A young man at the Jiffy Lube let me in, lent me a 15mm socket wrench, and saw me on my way. A simple kindness to freezing idiot. Nonetheless, guess who does my oil changes now.
Old 06-09-01, 05:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Y'know, if stuff never broke... in the rain, in the dark, at sub-zero temps, two day's ride from home...

We'd have not much at all to talk about, except for nice sunrises and brightly coloured birds chirping.

Today's horror stories are tomorrow's fondest memories!
Old 06-09-01, 07:43 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For another true-life adventure, see https://pages.prodigy.net/jonrutherford/snakebite.html, which describes the ruination of a brand-new Weinmann wheel (I didn't realize till later how badly the wheel was damaged). I also probably got a bruised rib in this escapade, which didn't show up for a day or two.
Old 06-10-01, 12:36 AM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rain, have you been doored yet? I think thats the 4th or 5th (who keeps count?) passage as a commuter. Sadly, for me i was doored well before my first flat, or first "crash"...
Old 06-10-01, 02:33 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Gardner
Sadly, for me i was doored well before my first flat, or first "crash"...
No, I've been spared that thrill so far--but I've had two or three NDE's.*
---------------------
* Near-Door Experiences
Old 06-10-01, 04:13 PM
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tropical Storm Allison sure is causing alot of problems! heres one puddle im glad i missed!

https://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/p/nm/20.../mdf13207.html (fubar, hah)
Old 06-10-01, 07:59 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Cambronne
Today's horror stories are tomorrow's fondest memories!
Serge, judging by some of your posts (), you seem to have a lot of fond memories...
Old 06-11-01, 01:28 PM
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please don't even mention dooring! I try to stay VERY vigilant about avoiding even the possiblity. Luckily, the streets I ride have enough space that I seldom feel squeezed. I still think about it, move ourt, and check through the rear window every time I am approaching a parked car. But I know one day I will be distracted by another vehicle or something else and it will happen.

Last edited by RainmanP; 06-12-01 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-11-01, 08:49 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by RainmanP
Please don't even mention dooring! I try to stav VERY vigilant about avoiding even the possiblity.
Amen, same here. Now and then I catch myself riding close to a car without checking first, and then I lecture myself outloud about it!

I hate the cars that have dark tinted glass or obscured windows making it impossible to know if somebody's inside.

I think if traffic made it impossible to give wide enough berth to cars I couldn't for some reason check, I'd stop if it was at all possible, and wait for the traffic to clear.

You know, if things were reversed and (dream-like) bicycles instead of cars were supported by the oil industry, cars would probably be mandated to have breakaway doors!
Old 06-12-01, 12:44 AM
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
breakaway doors, now theres a thought!
Old 06-12-01, 06:01 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Ba-Dg-Er

Then again we could all just go around kicking their doors until they broke off and then we wouldn't have that to worry about.
Let me tell you, there's many a time I would volunteer to do just that.