Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I did it!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I did it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 11:22 PM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did it!

I road my bike home from work today, first time of the year, im so happy! I drove to work, and left my truck in the parking lot. I did the full 27 mile ride home in just over 2hrs (avg 13.4 MPH).

The ride was amazing, left work early at 9:10pm, I took alot of residential streets, only hitting two stoplights, both green, i dont think i had to clip out once the whole ride. The tempature was in the mid 70's, with a 5mph tail wind the whole way home, it was great. I cant wait to ride monday, other then i will start my ride at 11:30am, and finish around 1:30pm, temp is expected in the mid 90's

This was my first big ride in 6 months, due to my chest surgery. I now am forced to ride my bike back to work on monday so i can drive home
Old 06-16-01, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yahoo, Joe! The mileage and the speed is impressive enough as it is. Many people don't know that you went through major chest/heart surgery last year on top of it.

Man, a 27 mile commute! For a lot of people, that would be a weekend tour to the next town for coffee and chocolates.

Think about it. The most popular automobile on the road today is the SUV. Most of them get about 17 miles to the gallon in the city. That means you saved more than 1.5 gallons of petro fuel.

Big deal? Imagine sitting in a room or even a house in which 1.5 gallons of gasoline is ignited! Tea and toast anyone? Imagine being in an office in which the fumes from an automobile blows in 1.5 gallons worth of fossil fuel emmissions. Good night, Irene.

Nicely done, Joe. I hope your efforts motivate others to commute as well.
Old 06-17-01, 12:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Joe, that is truly an impressive thing to do after having major surgery, or even without major surgery!

Andre
Old 06-17-01, 04:08 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by mike

Big deal? Imagine sitting in a room or even a house in which 1.5 gallons of gasoline is ignited! Tea and toast anyone? Imagine being in an office in which the fumes from an automobile blows in 1.5 gallons worth of fossil fuel emmissions. Good night, Irene.
Excellent imagery, Mike! I'll be quoting you now and then to friends and the curious-about-cycling.

Joe, I know about surgery, too. I thought I could cycle again six months after my stomach operation, but it wasn't to be--it took a little over a full year before I was all healed. But you, at age 23 (if I remember correctly) will have healed in the textbook six months! It's great that you're able to get back into the swing of things. Just be careful on your trips, and please don't disobey your body if it says, "Hey, I'm tired today!" You're our indispensable National Resource here.
Old 06-17-01, 04:40 PM
Love Me....Love My Bike!

Bikes: Bikes: Giant hybrid, Trek 4500, Cannondale R800 Some commuting 20mi/day, mostly fitness riding - 20-50 mile rides

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go, Joe! Welcome back into the commuting community.

Good advice to about overdoing it, especially after having had surgery. Take care!
Old 06-17-01, 05:14 PM
Mr. Cellophane

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go, Joe, go! But as others have said, your health is number one, not just to you, but to us! So go easy. We want you around for a LONG time!

Great ride!
Raymond
Old 06-17-01, 06:16 PM

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Joe, as a newbie here, I didn't know about your surgery! Very glad to have you back in the fold! Just remember, keep spinning, don't over do it! I had the ride from h*ll on Saturday, and took today off, so I can't wait for tomorrow so I can get back into the saddle! Take it easy to start with!!!
Old 06-17-01, 07:52 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Joe Gardner
I road my bike home from work today, first time of the year, im so happy!
Joe Gardner, The Man.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaa!

:thumbup:
Old 06-17-01, 08:06 PM
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike, thats a good point, i had a few people ask me on sat why im riding my bike home from work, now i have a good reason, well, one they would understand. I guess "It's fun." was to hard for these people to understand

Bill, yeah, i had "major" reconstructive chest surgery, twice, last year, was stuck in a lay-z-boy for 3 months last fall, not fun! I still have problems getting up in the morning, it feels like i have been hit by a truck. The only problem i have on the bike is holding my self up with my arms, my arms are soo weak right now! I spend alot of time riding without hands currently.

Pete... your almost freaky
Old 06-17-01, 08:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boy, Joe, that sounds like you have sure been through an ordeal! Glad to hear that you are back in the saddle! I know that it will come, just give it time! I took my first ride on a multi-speed bike on April 1st of this year, and now, 715 miles later, I have found a new love!
After my ride yesterday, I too woke up feeling like I had been hit by a truck...but now I am anxious for the morning to come so I can get back in the saddle..and I know that you will get there too! Hang in there!
Old 06-17-01, 08:42 PM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
27 miles!! Great!! Wish I had a commute like that. Heck, my miday rides are usually shorter than that. Bummer about the chest surgery, I had no idea!! Maybe riding your bike will help with the waking up problme because of the cardiovascular benefits.
Old 06-17-01, 09:04 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pete... your almost freaky
And Joe, you are too cool...

I am looking forward to your complete recovery and subsequent testimony!

Last edited by LittleBigMan; 06-17-01 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-18-01, 08:29 AM
Just Follow Your Feet!

Bikes: Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only problem i have on the bike is holding my self up with my arms, my arms are soo weak right now! I spend alot of time riding without hands currently.
Joe, you might try using some dumbells (no, not cagers,) to build up the arms a bit. While cycling is great cardiovascular and lower body exercise, it doesn't do alot for the upperbody muscles (in comparison). A couple of sets of 10-15 reps, increasing the weight over time will make a big difference.

Congratulations on a significant milestone!
Old 06-18-01, 09:06 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Joe,

I wasn't aware of your surgery either. Twenty-seven miles is quite an accomplishment. :cool:
You have every right to be proud. Make sure you brag a lot to your non-cycling friends. :thumbup:

Ron

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-18-01, 11:33 AM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Joe,

That's great you're back on the road again. I am glad I do not live 27 miles from work. I don't know if I would have it in me to commute that far. I am sure you have thought of this, but is there somewhere part way you could park the truck and bike the rest of the way? Bike on, Joe!!!:cool:
Old 06-18-01, 11:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The only problem i have on the bike is holding my self up with my arms, my arms are soo weak right now! I spend alot of time riding without hands currently.
Joe, it sounds like this might be a good time to try out a recumbent bike; the "Lazy Boy recliner" of the bike world.

Does anybody have a lead on how we can get one for Joe cheap or maybe donated for the cause?
Old 06-18-01, 06:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Joe, we are all waiting to hear if you rode today, and if so, how it went!?! Hope you are feeling well!!
Old 06-18-01, 08:09 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by mike
Joe, it sounds like this might be a good time to try out a recumbent bike; the "Lazy Boy recliner" of the bike world.

Does anybody have a lead on how we can get one for Joe cheap or maybe donated for the cause?
Mike, you are the coolest, seriously.

Now, did I mention I get this shooting pain in my left arm...

Old 06-18-01, 11:45 PM
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, todays ride was awesome, however i couldnt do the full 27miles, i had a friend drop me off half way, i did just under 12 miles, not too bad, its went great. I also found a place to park my truck about 10 miles from work, im going to park there tomarro, and ride to and from work, just 20 miles a day, I'll then work up from there. i dont think i can do the full 54miles a day for another few weeks
Old 06-19-01, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic, Joe! Sounds like you are off to a good start! Gosh, I have to ride through town and detour back to get 10 miles in, so I think you are doing great. On mornings when I want to wimp out and ride straight in to work (7 miles) I will think about you, your surgery and your recovery, and press on! Thanks!!
Old 06-20-01, 03:42 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Pete Clark

Now, did I mention I get this shooting pain in my left arm...

The solution to that problem is easy, Pete. Stop shooting yourself in the arm.
Old 06-20-01, 06:59 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mike, you are too modest. You could probably build Joe a nice recumbent in your garage (if there's any room left in there.)
Old 06-20-01, 10:10 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Pete Clark
Mike, you could probably build Joe a nice recumbent in your garage (if there's any room left in there.)
I could probably build Joe an automobile or rocket ship with all the bikes and parts I have in my garage! And my wife would thank Joe for his part in getting rid of some of them as well.

Here is the poor man's recumbent that I learned from my recent latest trip to Japan:

Get yourself a really small bike like a kiddies bike - way to small for you, but with some gearing to it like maybe a three speed.

Add a rear carrier - get something that looks, well, comfortable.

Since the bike will be too small, you will find it most comfortable to sit on the rear carrier. You will have to reach over the seat to the reach handlebars and ride like circus monkey (some ape-hanger handlebars from an old Stingray would add to your comfort).

Watch out for bumps because they will send you into wheelies every time.
Old 07-03-01, 10:05 AM
BikeForums Founder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jon just PM'ed me, and wanted an update on my commute, so here it is

For the last two weeks, I have been driving half way to work, then parking at a small mom & pop drive in food place (I buy lunch there, so they let me park, great people, great food...). The route I now take, is way off my normal route, however this keeps me far from cars, and main streets. The ride is just over 12 miles, and takes me about 1hr 15min (14.5mph yesterday) each way.

Right now im running late for work, so I'll post more tonight
Old 07-03-01, 10:29 AM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't biking to work much more fun than driving? Glad to hear you found someone nice enough to let you park your car at their shop.

Keep up the biking, Joe!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.