Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Do you think bicycle commuting is increasing?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.
View Poll Results: Do you think bicycle commuting is increasing recently?
Yes, it seems that more people are bicycle commuting recently than in the past few years
71.43%
No, I don't see much change or maybe ridership has even fallen off. Either way, it doesn't seem to be on the increase.
28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-01, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The number of bicycle commuters at my place of employement increased 300% this year. It used to be just me. Now there are three of us.

What are you seeing? Is the bike rack at your place of work filling up more these days?
Old 06-17-01, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to see a bike rack at my work period,nevermind more bikes attatched to it.

Andre
Old 06-17-01, 04:03 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I had to vote "no," because I don't see many people that look like they're doing anything remotely like cycling to work. What few I do see, is no more than years ago....

Maybe fuel rationing would help!
Old 06-17-01, 06:20 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Andre
I'd like to see a bike rack at my work period,nevermind more bikes attatched to it.

Andre
Andre, a few years ago, I sent a memo to our personnel department and suggested they put bicycle racks/stands near the entranceways to encourage bicycling with the VIP parking space. I also suggested they start a bicycle commuting promotion program.

With businesses, you have to talk dollars and cents to get them to spend money. That was actually pretty easy. I just called my friend in accouting and asked what the costs of each parking space was worth per year and included that amount in the memo.

It worked! We now have huge yellow bike racks by almost every door, but almost nobody uses them. Ironically, The one entrance which does not have a bike rack is the one for the office people - the entrance that has the most bicycle commuters.
Old 06-17-01, 11:50 AM
BikeForums Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My work just purchased and installed 3 very large bike racks in the two parking spots closest to the front door, in full view of the security guard, and two security cameras.

Before the racks, I would see one bike at work, tied up to a little tree... Now with the new racks, there's usually 5 - 8 bikes a day on the rack.

Mike, do you remember what the cost was for the parking space per year? I think I heard $15K construction + $250 a year maintenance, but im not sure where I got those numbers.
Old 06-17-01, 01:52 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Joe Gardner
I think I heard $15K construction + $250 a year maintenance, but im not sure where I got those numbers.
It seems to me I heard more like $8K per space; the maintenance sounds about right. I imagine it varies greatly by the area of the country, too.
Old 06-17-01, 04:45 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by mike
The number of bicycle commuters at my place of employement increased 300% this year. It used to be just me. Now there are three of us.

What are you seeing? Is the bike rack at your place of work filling up more these days?
I voted "on the increase."

This is based not on my workplace, in which I am still the lone bicycle commuter (though I get a lot more positive reactions now that everyone sees that I am better off for it.) Nor is it based on my observations on my commuting route of more cyclists (that's too subjective to be certain.)

My vote is based on the people I see posting here on BikeForums that are just starting to commute.

Anyway, I will keep doing it even if no one else knows what they're missing!
Old 06-18-01, 05:14 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is good to see that you guys are bicycle commuting.

All of us who bicycle commute are ambassadors to those who do not yet know the joy of it.
Old 06-18-01, 07:57 AM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to think that I am an inspiration to any one considering bike commuting. But, at my place of employment, the number of bikes on the rack have not increased in the 3 years I have work there.
Old 06-18-01, 08:04 AM
Just Follow Your Feet!

Bikes: Volae Expedition, ActionBent Tidal Wave II, Nishiki Olympic, Giant Cypress

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at a college, so there are a few commuters, but mostly students who live nearby. When the weather is nice, the numbers go up a little. I am the only one in my building of faculty and staff that commutes. I get alot of comments as they walk by my office and see my bike in front of my desk!

I think in time there will be others. Not everyone gets the fever, until they get it passed to them!