Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

It wasn't so hard...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

It wasn't so hard...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-01, 12:52 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It wasn't so hard...

It's friday and I've bicycled all week, no burnout. 133 miles, plus my trip home in an hour or so, totalling 145 - 150 for the week.

I was worried about nothing, I guess!
Old 07-20-01, 12:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 4500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, that's great, Pete! I think it's a darn good week, if you spent it riding. Now, that's how I define a GREAT week! I think you deserve a beer and chocolate. Okay, well not necessarily at the same time....
Old 07-20-01, 02:36 PM

Bikes: '76 Schwinn Paramout (Liberty) and an '89 Paramount (ol' Blue)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or, maybe a chocolate beer????

All right, Pete! Congrats! I am glad that all went well for your! And, it will just keep getting better, too!

Commuting is such a blast! I am always seeing something new on the road. Today, after it rained all night, I saw a poor old toad sitting on the shoulder of the road with his mouth open trying to dry out! You just never know!
Old 07-20-01, 03:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great! It's also encouraging for those of us still riding only 5 miles each way. I can't say for sure that my commute won't increase in distance with a month's notice.

Jonathan
Old 07-20-01, 04:53 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I felt confident you wouldn't have any trouble, Pete. And I'm sure you wouldn't either, Jonathan.

I'm no kid, I'm slightly overweight, and my commute used to be 5.2 miles each way, but day before yesterday I did 24 miles in 110 deg heat index, yesterday 18 in similar, and today 12 ditto, and all three days have felt ready to ride 20-30 more miles. It's largely a question of getting used to things. And drinking lots of water! (Apologies to Nebill's toad.)

I think if I had a country route available, I'd ride a lot more than I do. It mainly gets taxing stopping at all the stop lights and stop signs, and being perpetually watchful for unskilled drivers, drugged pedestrians, etc. The pedaling itself is not the stress.
Old 07-20-01, 06:02 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Commuting everyday isn't so bad. I've currently got the 'flu and I must say the only time I don't feel like sh*t is when I'm on my bike.

Chris

That is all.
Old 07-20-01, 08:21 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're right, I would like to understand why it is: when I feel bad, even to the point of thinking I may not enjoy cycling, after I start riding, I feel 100% better. There must be a logical explanation for this phenomenon.
Old 07-21-01, 12:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right on!

i told ya it woudnt be so bad. ive been cycling to and from work for over 3 months now, and i tell ya....even after the busses get back on the road i will be using them very slightly, if at all.

this is the kinda thing you can easily get addicted to(and woudnt ya know it, its good for you!...unlike booze, cigs and the likes). every day im enjoying it more and more, its becomming my reason to go to work!

anyways pete, good job! im sure youll be using puplic transit much less from now on.....
Old 07-21-01, 12:59 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I went two whole years without buying one bus pass when I was commuting. And since I started cycling again in April, I've only bought one pass, and used it so little I lost money on it. It's not that I don't like the idea of public transportation, but I sure have better company when I ride my bike.