Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The ideal trailer for hauling my junk around town

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-01, 11:36 PM
grouchy bookseller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We've decided we want a trailer for the bikes to further our goal of being as car-free as possible. I've looked at the bob trailer and I'm not sure if it's big enough plus I worry about the stability, it being one wheeled. I like the look of the Bykaboose, but have never seen one in person, only on the web. Any other suggestions? preferably under $300.

I figure we need to do things like haul groceries, including big bags of cat litter for the furry people of the household, hauling junk home from garage sales, hauling art work up to the art league where I sometimes show my stuff.

Do I want a rear axle mount or a seat post mount? Of course every trailer's website claims that they're the most useful, stable, wonderful trailer made.
Old 07-26-01, 04:19 AM

Bikes: Seven Axiom Ti, Trek 620, Masi cylocross (steel). Masi Souleville 8spd, Fat Chance Mtn. (steel), Schwinn Triple Bar cruiser, Mazi Speciale Fix/single, Schwinn Typhoon

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been using a Burley for some time (12 yrs), like it very well and have found the the "guards/rails" around the outside of the wheels quite useful. I have heard that the (BOB?) one wheel trailers work very well, have a 75 lb. capacity, are quite stable and have less drag then the two wheeled variety. If I toured more I would probably buy one.
I much prefer a "low" mount to a "high" mount.

Last edited by pat5319; 07-26-01 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-26-01, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know people who use the BOB trailers. They all love them for errands and touring.

The Yak Plus holds 32 Kg (70 lb), and the Coz holds 23 Kg (50 lb), and they are well within your price range - under $300.

https://www.bobtrailers.com

I will probably get a BOB trailer in the near future to help advance my quasi-car-free existence.

Jonathan