Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No big deal

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No big deal

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-01, 09:09 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No big deal

As has been touched upon many times, people always think we commuting cyclists are some kind of strange side-show. "Wow, you rode all the way?"

Let's turn all this nonsense around.

Cycling I knew before I ever drove. Cycling is an experience everyone should know well. It should be second nature to every human on the planet. I am very puzzled that it is not (and disappointed!)

I should never have to explain to a non-cyclist the feeling of cycling. Of fighting a headwind, beating a hill, riding in the rain,
or anything like it. It's not my fault people have forgotten how wonderful riding a bike can be (especially when it's a challenge.)

So, what's the big deal about riding to work along the same route so many motorists take? Isn't that what a cyclist is supposed to do? We can't really be expected to cycle only for recreation all the time, can we? I mean, doesn't anybody remember what it's like to ride a bike? :confused:

We are normal. Let's get that part straight: perhaps more so than any motorist who does not know cycling.

Motoring is the activity that is an unnatural, but marginally acceptable practice (only when necessary.)
Old 07-29-01, 09:26 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by Pete Clark
We are normal. Let's get that part straight: perhaps more so than any motorist who does not know cycling.
I resent being called normal :irritated !

Actually, being serious for a second, who really cares if people think we are weird. I certainly don't. Anyway, a comment of "weird" coming from people who aspire to nothing more than 2.3 children, a mortgage etc probably doesn't mean a great deal.

Nice rant though.

Chris

That is all.
Old 07-29-01, 09:39 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always did feel sorry for that "point 3" child...
Old 07-29-01, 10:59 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Chris L

Actually, being serious for a second--
Sorry, Chris, your time's up.