Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shaving time

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Shaving time

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-01, 08:24 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shaving time

What do you do when you're late to work? How do you shave minutes off your arrival time?

I used to opt for more direct roads, usually main arteries. But once I discovered how much easier they were to navigate than I had imagined, they became more of a standard routine.

Then, there's cutting across parking lots, like I did this morning. A slow-moving patrol car shadowed me on the far side on an adjacent street and waited for my arrival. Strangely, I was never stopped (maybe I'm just hypervigilant.) But this may be getting risky.

Then there's standing on the pedals for a quick boost into higher speed, or up a small incline. But sometimes, my bod just rebels aginst it like an old mule.

Finally, and perhaps the most effective, is to say, "O, God! Help me get to work on time!"

But the most fooproof method is the simplest: leave 5 minutes early!
Old 08-03-01, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just accept the fact that I'm gonna be late an enjoy the ride.
Old 08-03-01, 09:34 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The cycling gods (or maybe the traffic gods ) must have been smiling on me today because I was late leaving the house (we're dog-sitting for our neighbors) and somehow I arrived at work 15 minutes earlier than usual. :thumbup:

I did have to pedal hard up two hills. And I took a shorter water break at about the 9 mile point. And many of the lights were green and traffic was lighter than usual at some intersections. And... and... and...

I decided when I started commuting that if I was late, my employer would just have to bite the bullet till I got there! They somehow survived without me before I started working there!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-03-01, 06:07 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I just get up five minutes earlier and allow myself time for the delays. Sometimes you get held up and there's nothing you can do about it, so I just make an allowance.

Chris

That is all.
Old 08-03-01, 08:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shave in the shower,that saves some time.

Andre-Rans Wave
Old 08-04-01, 12:09 AM

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...well, I usually use the Ronco"make-up gun" to save some time, so I won't be late for anywhere. Of course, as always, you've got to make sure the settings are set to office, or casual, and not to um, "trollop"... (This reference might make sense to all those "Simpsons" fans out there.)
Old 08-04-01, 02:13 AM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by technogirl
Hmm...well, I usually use the Ronco"make-up gun" to save some time...
All RIGHT! :dance:
Old 08-04-01, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I have to get somewhere fast, I stay off the saddle for every other block.

I don't sit down for the whole block no matter what- even if it is a half mile long.

I get to the destination faster, but not as fresh.
Old 08-04-01, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...well, I usually use the Ronco"make-up gun" to save some time, so I won't be late for anywhere. Of course, as always, you've got to make sure the settings are set to office, or casual, and not to um, "trollop"... (This reference might make sense to all those "Simpsons" fans out there.)

ahahahaha "trollop"
Old 08-05-01, 08:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This, somehow, reminds me of Junior High - Middle School for some of you. Make-up takes on a new meaning for girls between 12 and 14, or, at least it certainly did in the late 70s and early 80s.

If I wake up late, I can forgo shaving, and watch my time in the shower - no soaking.

If my blood sugar isn't low, I can wait for breakfast until after I get to work. I just run to the cafeteria after I take my insulin.

Since, my ride is less than 25 minutes, I can't shave much time off my ride by rushing. I did, however, shave 2-3 minutes off the ride this week. After getting rid of the milk crate in favor of a rack trunk bag, and trading my worn, 700x35 Matrix inverted tread tires for 700x28 Continental slicks, my ride has gone from an average 24:30 to between 21:30 to 22 minutes.

Jonathan

Last edited by jramsey; 08-05-01 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-06-01, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
those times when i'm running late, the only way to really make up time is through trying to speed up! but the nice thing about commuting is that you can pretty much set your clock by it, give or take 5 minutes, you know when you'll be at home/work. here in seattle you can't say that about driving...
Old 08-06-01, 09:21 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is true. Traffic abnormalities never delay me. Sometimes, I pass, and am passed again, by the same cars repeatedly.

It is my contention that bikes do not hold up traffic, but rather, cars hold up each other. They are so inefficient in the city!
Old 08-06-01, 10:13 PM
0^0

Bikes: Redline Monocog,Surly Crosscheck, Lemond Reno

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Pete Clark
That is true. Traffic abnormalities never delay me. Sometimes, I pass, and am passed again, by the same cars repeatedly.
That is really fun..
Old 08-06-01, 10:50 PM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I like passing cars that are stuck in traffic too. The best part is, most of them get really mad about it, but they are stuck there and can't do anything!

Chris

That is all.