Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Computer Musings - Help Me Decide

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-07, 12:33 PM
ReNewing Rider

Bikes: old 10-speed...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still need a bike computer for my '07 Trek Pilot 1.2 but have been overwhelmed with the choices. Initially I wanted the Polar 200cad since it seemed to be packed with features for under $200 but reviews here have been less than stellar (problematic operation, remote batteries not replaceable, data upload nearly useless). I don't want to spend the money for a Garmin model. So, should I forget about cadence, heartrate, and upload functions and just get an inexpensive speedo/odo (which?) or take a chance on the Polar?
Old 07-16-07, 08:28 PM
blissfullyIgnorant

Bikes: Mondonico, Ibis Mojo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just sent my Polar CS200 back. Speed sensor was very slow to display info. Mileage seemed way off . Maybe mine was a lemon, don't know.
Old 07-17-07, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the Garmin - see the road bikes forum for $75 off. You can get them through Geoman for $195 I believe. Just replaced my Polar CS200 and glad I did.
Old 07-21-07, 12:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question: I got a Topeak Comp 130, an EMS Pro OS fork but the sensor will not mount to the fork correctly. More importantly, the wheel does not have enough clearance to spin with the sensor mounted inside the fork. Is this a common problem with computers and carbon forks? I tried to mount the sensor on the front face of the fork (pointing forward) but the sensor cannot "sense" the magnet.

I am under the impression that I am going to need to get another computer for my bike which will work with my current setup. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Bird
Old 07-22-07, 07:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Topeak Comp 130 and never had any problem with it since day one. I do have another wireless computer made by Ascent mounted on my other bike and I've had many problems with it from not sensing the magent, sensor failure to send signal data, space between sensor and magent should be witihn 4mm and must be within 24" distance on the sensor to computer installation. I have to tweak it now and then when riding to make sure everything works fine.

To the problem you have posted, perhaps you need to find another place along the fork leng to mount the sensor. I have mine mounted on the front of the fork and slightly angled towards the wheel.