Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Bottechia's

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Bottechia's

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-03, 06:31 PM
Bottecchia fan

Bikes: 1959 Bottecchia Milano-Sanremo (frame), 1966 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1971 Bottecchia Professional (frame), 1973 Bottecchia Gran Turismo, 1974 Bottecchia Special, 1977 Bottecchia Special (frame), 1974 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Old Bottechia's

Hi All,

I was 12 back in '74 when I bought my first 'quality' bicycle, a Bottechia Special, which I rode until I lost an altercation with a pickup truck while on a ride in '96. I grew quite attached to that bike and would love to have repaired it but the Special wasn't that high up the model line to make it worth the expense. I'm wondering if anyone out there remembers the model lineup from back then. I seem to remember there being a model on the low end, then the Special, a model called the Gara or something similar with a Columbus Tretubi frame and the Professional at the top end. If anyone has any pictures of old Bottechias I'd love to see them. Thanks.

-Derrick
Old 08-15-03, 06:49 PM
don d.

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I do not remember the specific model progression in the Bottechia line, but if you go to https://www.bikelist.org/ and search the archives on Bottechia, you'll find alot of info on these bikes posted on the Classic Rendezvous forum. In addition, www.classicrendezvous.com has a section on Bottechia's in the Italy section. Let us know what you find out.

Old 02-21-05, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1970 (or 1971) Bottechia Giro d'Talia (?). I believe the model below it was the Grand Prix or that Special you referred to. The Giro has tubular rims with double butted spokes, a leather Dolemi ? saddle, Campy Valentino Extra deraillers and Campy Nuovo Tipo hubs. The crank is an aluminum Nervar. Brakes are Universal centerpulls. The tips of the lugs are chromed. There is no hooks under the crossbar for a pump. I have had this bike since the summer of 1972, but it hasn't been ridden much in the last twenty years. Some friends of the time had the model below this. It had steel clinchers but as I recall, pretty much the same other features.
Old 02-21-05, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The line-up in the early 1970s was, from top to bottom:

Professional - Columbus tubing, Campagnolo Nuovo Record group with Universal 61 brakes , aluminum tubular rims

Giro d'Italia - Columbus tubing, Campagnolo Nuovo Record derailleurs, Universal 61 brakes, Campagnolo Tipo hubs, un-named cotterless crankset, aluminum tubular rims

Gran Tourismo - un-named steel frame, Campagnolo Gran Tourismo rear derailleur, Camapgnolo Tipo hubs, Universal 61 brakes, cottered crankset, steel clincher rims

Special: hi-tensile steel frame, Campagnolo Valentino derailleurs, Universal 61 brakes, cottered crankset, steel clincher rims

De Luxe:hi-tensile steel frame, Simplex Prestige derailleurs, Universal 61 brakes, cottered crankset, steel clincher rims

Unisex: mixte style hi-tensile steel frame, Simplex Prestige derailleurs, Universal 68 brakes, cottered crankset, steel clincher rims

This line-up pretty much stood firm throughout most of the early 1970s. There may have been some minor varaiation in graphics, details and some components, but for the most part, it was pretty stable.

Try Classics Rendezvous for some pictures.