Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Big bike wreck in Denver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 07:44 PM

Bikes: Cannondale System 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Big bike wreck in Denver?

I was talking to a biker friend today who said she read in Denver Post that 30 bikes in a group ride went down. Can anyone fill in the details?
Old 11-08-07, 10:33 AM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Denver Post 4 November.
"COLORADO SPRINGS — Two bicyclists were rushed to Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs by ambulance after they were injured in a chain-reaction accident involving up to 30 bicycle riders, emergency rescue officials said.

The names and conditions of the bicyclists who were injured in the 10:50 a.m. accident south of U.S. 24 near Marksheffel Road were not available, said Jeff Sievers, spokesman for the Colorado Springs Fire Department.

"One went down and then a whole lot of others went down after them," Sievers said. "There were bicycles strewn all over the side of the road."

BUT in a subsequent discussion of number involved in the Denver Post Forum, the story was very different.

"There were three riders in the crash on Saturday. Two went to the hospital and I was the third. I was lucky to walk away.
First; there were no cars involved in this accident. There were motorists that stopped to help us, and they were very helpful and can probaby be credited with saving lives.
The crash happend at a speed around 30mph. It happend on a rural section of road. We were in a single file line. One of the riders went off the road. When he tried to come back onto the road his front wheel crossed the rear wheel of another rider. He went down. The rider behind him crashed into him, then I crashed into the second rider that went down.
No one was doing anything illegal, or dangerous. It was just a bad luck for the two guys that are seriously hurt. I hope insted of people telling us that we were doing something wrong, people would pass along words of support to the two riders that are in the hospital."

Divergent numbers to be sure. I have no idea who is correct but I'd put my money on the guy who was actually there.
Old 11-08-07, 03:59 PM

Bikes: Cannondale System 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too. Sounds like the other 27 just laid their bikes down while they helped the 3 who went down.