Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Katy Trail Day trip...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-07, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Katy Trail Day trip...

Live in Southern Missouri. Thinking about going on a day trip to ride PART of the Katy Trail. Never been on it. Can anyone that's ridden it suggest a section of the trail for a one day ride that would be nice and scenic? I'm thinking about the Rocheport area but like I said....never been there. TIA
Old 11-16-07, 07:12 PM
cycling for 50 plus yrs

Bikes: IF Crown Jewell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parking at Rocheport and going East is Beautiful. High bluffs on one side of you and the river on the other.
I've done about 2/3 of the trail this is one of the few sections I've done more than once.

The state park web site site does contain a list sections where they receive the most comments

What part of the trail is the most scenic?
That is in the eye of the beholder, but the areas we receive the most comments are in the Rocheport to Jefferson City area, Portland to Treloar, Augusta to St. Charles -- especially those areas along the river below the river bluffs. We also receive many favorable comments on the section from Pilot Grove to Sedalia, especially in the Beaman area.
Old 11-17-07, 11:12 PM

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rocheport east is the most popular section. Be sure to carry plenty of water; I'm not sure if they turn water off at some of the trail heads in the winter. If you get an early start, ride to Hartsburg and have lunch at Dotty's Cafe then stop at Cooper's Landing for a beer on the way back to Rocheport (apprx 50 mile round trip). Be aware that many of the businesses along the trail are seasonal and others are closed on Monday and/or Tuesday.

An excellent resource for info on the Katy Trail:
https://www.bikekatytrail.com/default.asp

Another option, if you want a cheap place to stay the night before your ride, would be to stay at the hostel in Tebbets.
https://www.bikekatytrail.com/site.asp?sid=453
Old 11-19-07, 12:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old 11-30-07, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just received an email saying that approval was reached for the Katy to be completed all the way to KC.