Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Gillian's house burned down near Ordway

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08, 05:45 PM

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a major bummer. Gillian Hoggard has been taking in bicyclists riding the TransAmerica trail for years... just opening up her house near Ordway for them. Her hospitality is mentioned in a lot of posts over at Crazy Guy on a Bike and she received the Trail Angel award from Adventure Cycling.

Apparently her house burned down the other night when a wildland fire swept through the area. Now she's living in a camper in the yard. I'm sure anyone who's benefited from her kindness would want to know.

https://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archi...7/3644953.html
Old 04-18-08, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 520, C-Dale Superbe Pro, Fuji Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I saw her on CNN. Kinda shocked me, said the high winds just pushed it into her home. Hope she had insurance to cover the loss. SHe's in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 04-18-08, 11:20 AM
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

Would you mind posting new information as you receive it? It would be good to keep this thread active as new information is received, such as ways to donate.
Old 04-18-08, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
Did she lose all of her out buildings and livestock? I know that she was very attached to the geese and other critters.

She is a very kind and generous person and treated us well when we were in Ordway last year on the TA. It is sad to hear about her house, but I am glad to hear she is OK.

If there is any way that we can help financially or otherwise please post details here.
Old 05-06-08, 06:26 AM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 568 Posts
After we sent a note and a check we heard back from Gillian. All or her critters survived. She mentioned that she is replacing the trees that burned. I do not know where she stands as far as insurance coverage for the loss of her home and all of it's contents, but I am sure she could use a bit of help.

I am posting this in the hope that some of you will write her and maybe help out financially, especially those who have stayed with her in the past.

The community of Ordway has established a fund to assist everyone who suffered losses in the fire. Checks (tax deductible) can be made to the Crowley County Community Foundation, c/o First National Bank of Ordway, PO Box 278, Ordway, CO, 8103.

If you want to send her a note or a check directly.... Her address can be found at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum...ssage_id=60699

She is a very kind and generous lady who has put up hundreds of TransAmerica cyclists in her home in recent years. I think that we were numbers 79, 80, and 81 for the year in 2007 alone just to give you an idea how many riders she has helped out.
Old 05-06-08, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Lemond Tourmalet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Adventure Cycling is coming to the rescue of their Trail Angel. They've set up a "reforestation fund" to help offset the cost of buying new trees for the ones she lost. Checks should be made out directly to Gillian Hoggard, and should say c/o Gillian Hoggard, Adventure Cycling Association, 150 E Pine. St., Missoula, MT 59802.
Also a work party is heading down there to help out later this month. More details ... https://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archi...6/3678214.html
Old 05-06-08, 08:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Please Help Gillian Hoggard!"