Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Van Dessel Hole Shot vs. Kona Jake the Snake

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-08, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with the Van Dessel Hole Shot, and/or how it might stack up against a Kona JTS? I could get the Kona for about $1300 (Shimano 105) or spend about $250 more and get the Van Dessel with SRAM Rival.

Both are 7005 butted aluminum with house-brand carbon fork, so I'm thinking it'd just come down to a toss-up between the geometries and the choice of drivetrain.
Old 04-25-08, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents: Van Dessel's are prettier and less common, and I love my SRAM Rival group.

Both are sweet bikes, no doubt.
Old 04-25-08, 10:07 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed on being less common, though with the savings you could take the 250 dolars and get a second set of wheels/tires for the Jake the Snake (may have to spend a little me than 250 with tires and cassette though). There's a reason Konas are so ocmmon: a great bike for not too much coin. That said, Van Dessel seems to have the cross thing figured out too. I'd say it comes down to which shifting system you prefer.
Old 04-25-08, 10:48 AM

Bikes: Aegis Road Bike, Gunnar Rockhound, Specialized Transition Elite, Van Dessel Holeshot, 1989 Trek converted to SS commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up a Hole Shot. Still working on the build (Ultegra SL), but I was very impressed with the quality of the frame and finish. The shop I bought it through had done a few Gin & Trombones, but this was there first Holeshot and they were impressed as well. I'd say go with that if the geometry fits.
Old 05-03-08, 07:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hole Shot

By far, the hole shot is a better ride then the Kona. Van Dessel does have it figured out and buying the Gin & Trombones is merely a waste of money. Been down the Kona process before. Money can always be an issue, but style and quality should not be sacrificed.

I have 2 race ready Hole Shot rides for the team out of Red Rocks Velo in Morrison, Colorado. The bike rides wonderful and is predictable. My only drawback is the sloping top tube, which can impede carrying during dismounts. This is merely a preference and sizing options. However, I did not have any elbow clearence issue during the 2007 cross season of 25+ races.

The ride in dry, mud, or Nationals ice/snow epic conditions was spot on.

onederosa