Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Is this a good purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-08, 07:19 PM
WJH

Bikes: none

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this a good purchase

I've been looking for a CX bike for about a month, scouring craigslist, ebay, and this forum (for advice), and I've been bouncing around between several options. I had looked seriously at the Motobecane Fantom Cross (price, mostly), but have never really felt comfortable with that decision. I want to deal with my LBS but, alas, the bikes in my two local shops are a tad pricey for me (albeit they are certainly worth the money). One LBS sells Trek and Cannondale; the other Fuji, Salsa, and Breezer. I like these bikes but they are a tad out of my price range (for new). So a friend of mine who rides with a local club/LBS team found a used bike from one of his friends. It's a 2006 Giant built with various components (all of them good as far as I can tell). He wants $800 firm. I unfortunately don't have any good pictures, but trust me, the bike is beautiful. The frame has about 250 miles on it. The components, I'm unsure about. Here's the specs:

2006 GIANT TCX cyclocross/touring bike

Color: Blue w/white
Size: Medium
Frame: SL Aluxx 6000 Series alum. alloy
Fork: carbon
Handlebar: Forged Lite Luxe ITM
Stem: ???
Seatpost: Louis Garneau carbon
Saddle: Ferrari Novus (carbon brace where it attaches)
Pedals: None
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
Brakes: Avid Road Disc brakes 160mm; rear and front
Levers: Shimano 105 Flight Deck Lever
Shifters: Shimano 105 Salsa brake levers on center
Cassette: 9 speed
Chain: ???
Cranks: Salsa 130x38/48
BB: Shimano 600
Rims: Salsa Delgado X back and front
Hubs
Spokes
Tires: IRC Cross Country 700x35cm

Et. al.: sloping toptube
wholesale value on wheelset is $500 alone (acc. to owner--I can't see where, though)
pannier mount brackets
frame has about 250 miles on it
retune of bike's brakes and shifting included

Long thread, I know. $800 is my top end. I'll have to save to get pedals, fenders, shoes, etc. This would be my first bike. I want to use it to commute--only 2 miles each way (but straight uphill), plus cross training (I'm a runner, by nature), plus some fun (off road riding--trails of dirt, gravel, etc.) Looks like a steal to me. Hmmm. ????
Old 05-04-08, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Price seems good, but it's worthless if it doesn't fit you. Don't be tempted to go for it if the fit isn't right; there are plenty of bikes out there.
Old 05-04-08, 08:25 PM
WJH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It fits. I road it for 25 miles this past Saturday. It feels really nice. I like all of the components. I think it's a pretty sweet deal, but . . . I am a novice.
Old 05-04-08, 09:40 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you want it for? The sloping top tube is a turn-off for some people, as are the extra weight of the disc brakes, if this is to be a race bike. My 'cross bike has a sloping top-tube but it's not quite as extreme as most giants, I think. If you want an all-rounder with maybe a race here and there, this looks like a great bike for the purpose.
Old 05-05-08, 05:28 AM
WJH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I doubt I'll ever race it. The bike will be used for commuting (probably year round--hence, I like the disc brakes for that reason), and some cross training and leisurely off roading--dirt trails, gravelly berms, grass paths. Our roads in NW PA are rough to say the least. That's why I like the cyclo better than a standard road bike. Plus, the commuting aspect. I love the look and feel of cyclos compared to other bikes as well. Still a good deal?
Old 05-05-08, 07:39 AM
uberNEWB

Bikes: Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you can get a similar quality bike for new for about the same price... i personally like brodie and bianchi (san jose) but if you feel its right dig it. the wheels prolly cost 500 if he had thme built up, new a 105 flight deck sti shifter set alone costs about 300$. but like you said...250miles of wear on it already... shimano 600 bb thats an older version of ultegra... why does it have a 90s version bb on it if the bike is a 2006?

how new are all the components? how well did the guy treat the bike? has it been in any accidents?

looking at certain components cost wise it is worth... but then again looking at use of the bike and year i would think twice. But if you got that burning feeling inside of you for it... maybe resist it a little more, and if you are able to resist it then you know the bike is not for you. Otherwise if it was for you you would nt hesitate.

cheers and good riding
Old 05-05-08, 08:18 AM
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably old 600 bb for the older salsa crankset (square taper?). Sounds like a bit of a mishmash of parts built up around the frame. But a decent mishmash IMO. Probably mostly better than what it would have been spec'd with as a complete bike from Giant. Parting it out would certainly net you well over $800.
Old 05-05-08, 09:16 AM
WJH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guy who's selling it is definitely a fixer-upper sorta guy, I think. I couldn't locate a Giant TCX from 2006 that was sold as a complete bike, so I think he fixed it up with what suited him. The LBS he rides for/with sells a lot of Salsa components plus the obvious Shimano gear, so I think he frequents their operation a lot. The bike has only one nick that I could locate and it's merely cosmetic. He owns and rides many bikes and he just had this one sitting around . . . hence the potential sale. I like it very much, but the more I look around the more I become undecided. I just need to pull the trigger and get one. This may or may not be it. Maybe he'll come back and offer it more cheaply. Hmmm.