Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

San Jose or Cross Check

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Jose or Cross Check

Hi Guys,

I can't decide on these two and was wondering if I can get any input. I'm going to be doing alot of offroading. I like the price point of the San Jose but in the past i've built up all my bikes from the ground up. So I guess you could say i'm hesitant to buy a factory complete. I've ran a search and seems like these two bikes keep popping up for single speed offroad use. Any advice or are they both pretty evenly matched? TIA!
Old 05-05-08, 11:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't think the cross check comes complete as a single speed, does it? so if you want single speed and a cross check, you might have to build it up yourself. i think if i wanted a ss id go for the bianchi...i like how they look...
Old 05-05-08, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They don't come complete as a SS setup. I guess the main thing i'm asking is, is the Bianchi spec component decent for it's price? I've found an 07 model for $579 at a local shop. I'll be doing tons of single track up here in the bay area and don't want the components, especially the wheelset to take a poop on the first ride out.
Old 05-05-08, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the San Jose stock components are fine. The Cane Creek brakes and levers are quite nice. The wheels should be fine. The spokes might need to be properly tensioned and stress-relieved (some shops do this as a matter of course). The stock gearing might be a bit high, might want to factor in getting a new smaller chainring.

The Cross Check is more versatile, but building it up would be far less economical unless you already have the parts lying around or some inside track.
Old 05-05-08, 04:35 PM
Lurker

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Zion 737, Puch SS Conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode an 07 San Jose all last year and loved it. The wheels are heavy but pretty much bombproof. I rode single track, rocky jeep roads, and jumped lots of curbs and never busted a spoke (I'm 6'3 and 195). The only thing you might do is replace the stock brake pads with kool stops, or something similar. The stock pads caused a lot of fork shudder for the first month I had it. But, for under $600, the San Jose is pretty hard to pass up.
Old 05-05-08, 05:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, thanks for your help fellas. decided to go with the San Jose.
Old 05-06-08, 12:34 PM
nowheels

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've had both..... I liked the San Jose better.