Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

'08 Specialized Tricross, V-Brakes?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just took delivery on an '08 Specialized Tricross. The one I test rode (wrong color) had normal cantilever brakes, whereas the one that the built for me came with v-brakes. I had heard that you couldn't do V-brakes with an integrated STI brifter, but that is what is on my new bike. I have noticed that the brakes feel "spongy".. there is a long squeeze on the brake levers before the brakes engage. Did Specialize make a mistake and send the wrong brakes with this bike? Should I request a change in brakes (would it make the brakes less spongy, and more solid)? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-28-08, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
V-Brakes huh? Wow that's strange. I have a 2008 Sport model and it came with canti brakes. I have heard someone else say that they got theirs with caliper brakes.
Old 05-28-08, 09:56 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This sounds like a mess-up. Have the shop either change the brakes or install a "travel agent" for the cable pull issue. Second option is more issue-prone.
Old 05-28-08, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Are they regular mountain Vbrakes or the shorter Hybrid/ Cross Vbrakes. The shorter ones will work with regular levers.
Old 05-29-08, 07:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi - I have just ordered a Tricross Comp and what swung it for me was the LBS said that spesh have switched the cantilevers for mini-v's to overcume the shuddering forks which have been widely reported. I test rode a Tricross Sport with the mini-v's and had no problems when braking. Only slight niggle is that it looks a bit funny with the now redundant cantilever bosses.
Old 05-29-08, 07:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe they are normal mountain bike Vbrakes- they look the same size as the ones which are on my Mountain bike.

Riding in, the rear brake seemed "OK".. but the front, I had to mash the brake lever all the way down before it would really start to grip, and had to go about 75-80% before it would start to grip at all.
Old 05-29-08, 08:04 AM
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ltsd
Only slight niggle is that it looks a bit funny with the now redundant cantilever bosses.
huh? the mini v's would be installed on the canti bosses. perhaps you mean the now unused cable hanger(s)?

BlueDevil,
i would definitely get the shop to swap your brakes for 85mm length mini v's, or decent canti's set up by a competent mechanic, or the last resort would be to get travel agents installed. that's crazy they would set that bike up with regular v brakes and sti's.
Old 05-29-08, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Properly adjusted canti brakes prevents this shudder that people have been reporting. I have 2 Tricross bikes and neither have shudder problems. Both have canti brakes.
Old 05-29-08, 11:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where does one measure the length of a V-brake from? If from the pin where it is mounted to the frame/fork, to the pull, mine are ~117.5mm, which look to me to be normal mountain bike size V-brakes.
Old 05-30-08, 06:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by isotopesope
huh? the mini v's would be installed on the canti bosses. perhaps you mean the now unused cable hanger(s)?
Doh! And I tried so hard to get the terminology right so as not to look like a complete newb! New I'd get jumped on if I got it wrong - thanks for the edification!
Old 05-30-08, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I cycled over to the bike shop last night to have them look at the brakes.

They said these are the brakes that are coming on the larger Tricross Sport frames now. They weren't adjusted quite right, and with some tweaking, I now have nice braking. The only issue is, it is almost impossible to get the "quick release" to work, so transporting the bike in our car wont be too easy. If it continues to be an issue, I'll try to get them to swap the v-brakes out for cantis, but on the ride home there was a marked difference (and some great braking).
Old 05-30-08, 11:36 AM
shoot up or shut up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevil
The only issue is, it is almost impossible to get the "quick release" to work, so transporting the bike in our car wont be too easy.
you could try running an adjustable noodle. bikeman has them, but judging by the qbp logo on the image, any shop should be able to order them. our mini v guru, Elmar Schrauth, posted another style awhile back that had the threads exposed. i'm not sure where you can find these.
Old 05-31-08, 12:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can confirm what the BlueDevil is saying.

I just bought a 61cm 08 Tricross sport a couple of days ago. Day 1 ride was OK, but day 2 ride was terrible.... it was like I had ABS installed on the front brake and it would pulsate whenever I touched the lever, especially on a slight downhill. Very hard to modulate (and why should you have to?).... totally unsafe IMHO. Another problem with the vibration is that it knocks your front brakes out of adjustment in no time flat.... I tested it in a parking lot for ten minutes and the front cable got so stretched (or whatever) that the front brake stopped working... the brake lever would just mush down to the handlebar.

So I do some research, read about the switch to mini V brakes, take bike into shop, and it is so. In fact they had two Tricross sports on the floor... one with the cantis and one with the mini Vs, and they said that Specialized is shipping all frame sizes with mini Vs now (the mini V bike was a 49). I wish they'd friggin told me that two days ago but whatever. So they are gonna switch me over.

I am not a bike mechanic, but I do not agree that the solution is simply "proper adjustment". I had them adjust the brakes today for the DVP ride tomorrow, took it out in the parking lot, and the problem was much improved but is still there. Given how quickly the brakes go OUT of adjustment with this problem, you'd need a full tune up every week.

edit: the fork mounted cable hanger is widely reported to be a solution as well, but the problem is that you can't fit front fenders afterwards.... given that fender compatibility was why I bought the bike in the first place, that's no good.

Last edited by Darrenmc; 05-31-08 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-01-08, 11:45 AM

Bikes: 2007 & 2008 Specialized Tricross Comp

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I lack knowledge on this not being a brake expert. But I noticed my '07 Comp has Avid Shorty 4 cantilever brakes, whereas Specialized is shipping the '08 Comp with forged linear pull brakes. What's the difference, what are the advantages/disadvantages, and why would Specialized make the change?

Last edited by Richard8655; 06-01-08 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-02-08, 06:17 PM
shoot up or shut up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i mostly think shuddering/squealing is a brake setup problem, exacerbated by the length of cable from the front cable hanger to the straddle cable, as it flexes with the fork... which is why i think fork mounted cable hangers can often solve it. BUT! i also think some brakes are waaay harder to tune than others.

i personally had super problems with some avid 6's. i tried every trick in the book and had much more mechanically savvy friends try to get them tuned right, without them ever working acceptably. so i ditched them for xt's. they work perfectly, are more powerful, and are easily setup.

so, maybe specialized ditched them and went with a no brainer brake to setup. i think v brakes are much easier to setup and tune than canti's. i wonder if the problem was the equipment as well as the setup at the shops.
Old 06-03-08, 09:10 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, just wanted to give a quick 100mile update. Its been about 100 miles since they tuned the brakes, and I have to say that the braking is still working great! It was definitely a problem with how they had set up the V-brakes. Now that they are set up properly, there is no mushiness, and I feel that I have plenty of control. I haven't yet tried to use the quick release, but will definitely look into the threaded noodles if necessary! Thanks for all the info everyone.
Old 06-04-08, 11:23 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my 08 tricross comp came with v-brakes too. from what i can tell though, they are mini-v's. comparing it to my friend's mountain bike, the arm is shorter.

I haven't experienced any problems with it though...in fact they work really great....

the only complaint i have is that the quick release isn't that quick.....its really hard for me to put on and take off the brakes when putting my bike into the car...