Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cross Wheel/Rim advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 02:47 PM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cross Wheel/Rim advice

Here's the deal: I've got two wheelsets. One is a fixed-gear wheelset with Salsa Delgado CX rims, and one is 105 hubs to Campy Omega clinchers. Since the bike I plan on riding cross with is geared, it's got the non-cross rims on it. This feels kind of like a stupid situation to be in.

Will it be worth my time to swap the rims between these two wheelsets? Or will the Ofmegas (which are 3-4mm narrower) hold up under cross usage?
I've never ridden cross before so I'm not sure how much of a beating I will give my wheels... I am an experienced mountain biker though, if that makes any difference.

I've built wheels before, but I've never completely broken down a wheelset and reused the spokes again. I am aware that it would take a lot of work (about a weeks worth of after-work hours, I'm guessing), and I might have to get new spokes (which would suck, 4 wheels worth of spokes adds up quick).

Last edited by Aeroplane; 06-06-08 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm not sure about the suitability of the Ofmegas for cross. I'm not familiar with them.

Use spoke calc to figure out if the ERD (effective rim diameter) If the wheels are in good shape without a a million miles on them I'd use reuse the spokes.

If its a mach you can disasmbe on set, then tape one rim to the other with the stem holes lined up and transfer spoke from one rim to the other.

Make sure to slack the spokes first....

The drilling needs to be the same as well to do this. Err? The spoke hole to the left of the stem is ether higher or lower then the stem hole.
Old 06-05-08, 05:50 PM
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would just run the 105/ofmega combo.
Old 06-05-08, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are the rims Campagnolo Omega? If they are Omega Strada (hardox?) or Pave, I would expect them to be just fine. I would be concerned if they were the Crono model, since those were lighter. They are similar to the Ambrosio Nemesis and Montreal and other older clincher rims, and people seen keen on the Nemesis.

Ofmega was another Italian components producer. So far as I aware, they did not make rims. Could be wrong. Also, there is not really such a thing as a cross rim. I guess the Delgado and DRC St17 are as close as it gets.
Old 06-06-08, 11:26 AM
jack of one or two trades

Bikes: Old-ass gearie hardtail MTB, fix-converted Centurion LeMans commuter, SS hardtail monster MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acorn_user
Are the rims Campagnolo Omega? If they are Omega Strada (hardox?) or Pave, I would expect them to be just fine. I would be concerned if they were the Crono model, since those were lighter. They are similar to the Ambrosio Nemesis and Montreal and other older clincher rims, and people seen keen on the Nemesis.
I just checked and you are right, they are Omega 19's, not Ofmega. There is nothing about them being "Crono", but they are definitely not hardox or anything, they look polished to me. I will give them a try when I finish building this bike up.
Old 06-06-08, 05:48 PM

Bikes: Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The hardox finish is a sort of dark grey colour. There was an Omega aero too with an teardrop profile (I actually have one of those). Anyway, if it does not say Crono, I would say Banzai!