Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Travelling with Greyhound busses from Jasper to Vancouver, BC

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-09, 07:57 AM

Bikes: 4 bicycles (2x Randonneurs, 1x Crosser, 1x bicycle for winter, 1x bicycle for travelling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

I´m Thomas and I´m new in this forum. I live in Germany, in Bielefeld, it is the middle of Germany!

I´m going to West Canada for a bicycle trip from the 24th, July to 21th August 2009 (4 weeks). I start my trip in Vancouver and I´m going back with the plane from Vancouver to Germany!

I will finish my bicycle trip in Jasper. I´m looking now for a possibility to go back from Jasper to Vancouver either with bus or with train.

The first possibility to rent a car in Jasper is too expensive for me, it should be cost more than 400€ for a small car.

Other possibilities are travelling by train (railway) or by Greyhound busses from Jasper to Vancouver.

The disadvantage to go back by railway is, that the canadian railways only go from Jasper to Vancouver 3 times a week. But I´don´t know at which day I will arrive in Jasper. I think it will be between the 16th and the 19th August. But I have to be back in Vancouver latest in the afternoon of the 20th August.
In addition the trip with the canadian railway is too long for me, it goes over 20 hours.

To go back by Greyhound busses is very quick (only 13 hours), the busses are going to Vancouver every day, and it is the cheapest possibility to go back from Jasper to Vancouver.

But I read at the homepage from Greyhound, that the only possibility to transport my bicycle is in a cardboard box designed for bicycles. Is that correct so??
But where can I get cardboard box for my bicycle in Jasper?? Is is possible to rent a cardboard box from Greyhound?? Or is there a office from Greyhound in Jasper, where I can rent or buy a cardboard box? How much costs a cardboard box??

Do you know, if Greyhound transported my bicycle in the same bus, or could it be that they transported my bicycle in other busses??

Are there other possibilities to go back from Jasper to Vancouver include my bicycles (other bus companies??)

What is the best and cheapest possibility to go from Jasper to Vancouver include my bicycle?? Is here anybody who have a better idea for travelling back to Vancouver??

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Regards
Thomas
Old 01-16-09, 08:38 AM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
I've taken Greyhound out of Jasper. Greyhound and VIA Rail share the station in the middle of town. Sometimes they have old boxes from people who have just arrived for their tours for free. Both Greyhound and VIA also have new boxes for their passengers. I had no problem getting a box at the station. There's also a bike store two blocks away.

Both Greyhound and VIA charge extra for a bike as baggage. Right now it's $30 for Greyhound and $20 for VIA. Plus Greyhound only allows one piece of baggage for free, plus one small carry-on bag - and they only allow one extra piece of baggage for $10. Bags 2 thru 7 are $25 per piece. VIA allows up to 4 pieces of free baggage. So when you add baggage charges, Greyhound is as expensive as VIA - maybe more.

I went from Jasper to Prince Rupert. No problem. The bike was on my bus. But they do not guarantee it because the bike is a large piece and must have room underneath. Since you may have a day's delay with VIA Rail if you arrive in Jasper when there is no train that day - and since you may have a day's delay on Greyhound if your bike comes on a later bus - why not take VIA? VIA tickets are deeply discounted if you buy well in advance.

The train takes a bit longer, but it's schedule is way more convenient. It leaves Jasper in the middle of the afternoon and gets to Vancouver the next morning. The bus either leaves after midnight from Jasper or gets into Vancouver near midnight. Unfortunately, the train runs on August 18, then August 21. Are you locked into returning on August 21?

Best - J
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=26445&v=Ni

PS - The weather gets iffy in Banff and Jasper by late August. Have you considered taking the train to Jasper and riding back to Vancouver? You would gain 1000m in elevation but, most likely, have more headwinds. Plus you would starting rather then ending your trip with the Canadian Rockies. However, if you go out to the Gulf Islands from Vancouver just before you leave - you could end your trip in an equally beautiful spot.

Last edited by jamawani; 01-16-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-16-09, 09:08 AM
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
You might check out ride shares for craigslist.com for Vancouver (https://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rid/) to see if people make this ride. It seems like a long shot but who knows?

Ray
Old 01-16-09, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greyhound makes you put your bike in a box and ship it, so it will cost extra, and it may not be on your same ticket. Finding a bicycle box should be a breeze in Jasper (there are many bicycle shops there).

Personally, I would do a round trip back to Vancouver, maybe hit up the Island, but that is me. You could also toy with the idea of flying out of Calgary (not far from Banff) and does have direct flights to Germany.

If you are riding to the rockies, check our the crowsnest pass, that highway seems great for touring (big shoulder and not too busy). Avoid the trans Canada (highway 1), and highway 5 from Kamloops to Jasper (there is a ton of traffic, mostly trucks).