Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Freeze Dried Meals, etc

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Freeze Dried Meals, etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 12:13 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Freeze Dried Meals, etc

See these in the local Gander Mountain (think Cabela's lite) sold in the backpacking section and wondered if anyone's used them. Knee jerk says they wouldn't kill me but might also be near cardboard on the edibility scale. Attracted because they're small, compact, and light, but how are they from a culinary standpoint?

Actually got some freeze dried ice cream from a NASA friend and that was pretty darned equivalent to eating flavored styrofoam
Old 01-17-09, 12:15 AM
Me!!

Bikes: Trek 1500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain House makes some good meals. Their desserts are real good. Also real pricey though.
Old 01-17-09, 12:20 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nasty. Used one of those as an 'emergency meal' on my last tour - not gonna do that again. OK for backpacking, I guess (well, not really) but not necessary for a bike tour.
Old 01-17-09, 12:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used some (different brand) on backpacking in the mountains. Didn't taste the greatest but it did fill you up with calories and carbs. With a bike though I would think that rice and beans would be fine, you could soak the beans all day and then cook, or you could use lentils.
Old 01-17-09, 12:52 AM
Bicycle Student

Bikes: 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tlorenz
With a bike though I would think that rice and beans would be fine, you could soak the beans all day and then cook, or you could use lentils.
On this years long distance tour I am going to do budget budget meals, so I was also thinking rice and beans. Hopefully it will not be that big of an hassle.
Old 01-17-09, 02:00 AM

Bikes: Stella

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you are cycling in the wilds, on a bike it is easier to buy food and related fixings than it is backpacking. I could see having one Mtn. House f-d Stroganoff package along for emergency use, but otherwise I'd try to buy on an as-needed basis, or, soak the beans.

There is a whole realm of cuisine called "freezer bag cooking" (Google will find it for you) which is great if you have access to a food dehydrator and time to plan ahead, and pack what you'll need to cook from. Cheaper than the f-d and no less tasty.
Old 01-17-09, 02:53 AM

Bikes: Trek MTB; Miyata 912

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I like MREs.
If they are good for hiking 10 miles with 80 lb backpacks, then they are good enough for biking.
More flavor than styrofoam (but it is a different flavor).
Old 01-17-09, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Always the best way -- buy a packet and try it at home. Then get more if you like, or forget if not.
Old 01-17-09, 07:26 AM
Senior Moment Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KyleOndy
Mountain House makes some good meals. Their desserts are real good. Also real pricey though.
Libby and I like the Mountain House best. I prefer them to MREs. Pros - lightweight, easy to prepare (add water and wait 10 minutes), quality is consistent, foolproof. As a quick, emergency meal they're great. Cons - expensive, high sodium, low fiber, not very nutrient-dense. We've also dehydrated some of our own foodstuffs for hiking. Sarber's freezer bag cooking site is a great resource...

https://www.freezerbagcooking.com/

and the discussions about food and hiking can be very informative here...

https://www.whiteblaze.net/

Good luck.

Judy
Old 01-17-09, 07:37 AM

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One thing to check out on the freeze dried meals ( or any prepared meals ) is the sodium content, some are very high.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 01-17-09, 08:28 AM
Older than dirt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the info - it's valuable. Reason I was asking is that I live in an area that has a huge National Forest presence, and we can run the Jeep all day across two states and never see civilization, so the possibility of being 2/3 days on a bike without getting to a store is very possible. Pretty much akin to backpacking on a bike.

-Roger
Old 01-17-09, 09:07 AM

Bikes: 88 Schwin Voyageur, 84 Schwinn World Sport, 85 Univega Alpina Uno, 85 Fuji Espree, 09 Novara Strada, 06 Jamis Durango, 03 Specialized Expediton Sport, 09 Surly LHT, 12 Novara Gotham

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountain House makes some good meals but it isn't too hard to make the same thing yourself. The Freezer Bag Cooking site is great and you can put together your own meals bagged the way you want portion wise and be fine for the solitide you describe.
Old 01-17-09, 09:17 AM
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
On our 12 day tour in SW Colorado last year we took a couple of Mtn House meals along as "emergency" meals. They aren't the most gourmet food, but they are quick and easy to make. I don't like to do much more cooking than heating water when I'm out camping.

We had one combined with a shared sandwich at a convenience store one evening on our bike tour.

I just picked up several freeze-dried meal packets that were on steep markdown at REI, around $4 each. I put them in my stash for next years outdoor trips.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 01-17-09, 09:34 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by B Rubble
Personally, I like MREs.
If they are good for hiking 10 miles with 80 lb backpacks, then they are good enough for biking.
More flavor than styrofoam (but it is a different flavor).
Yuck. I had one MRE on my last tour, given to me by a tourer who had overpacked. One was enough.

Old 01-17-09, 09:35 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
I prefer to eat minimally processed foods. But I do carry a couple of freeze dried meals as emergency rations. The last couple I bought hit the end of their storage life so we fed them to a couple of hungry boy scouts (those guys will eat about anything!) Bought replacements for the next trip.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-17-09, 10:01 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Always the best way -- buy a packet and try it at home. Then get more if you like, or forget if not.

Philosophical difference: Before our long canoe trip we considered trying the various freeze dried foods to see what we liked. In the end we decided to just bring a selection of types and brands and some extra spices because we didn't want to know how bad it was going to be in advance. It turns out that if you are hungry enough they never taste bad, and that if you put enough curry and pepper on anything it starts to taste good.

Speedo
Old 01-17-09, 10:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, look in used bookstores for older ('70's) backpacking books -esp cookbooks for backpacking. Many talk about ways to soak beans while hiking, using orzo, bulger , etc. Also look at Middle East, Orient, African cuisine-any cultures have limited fuel/energy supplies and have adapted more efficient cooking methods to accommodate.

There is more involved than 'box suppers' and freeze-dried. But then,there are significant trade-offs between levels of processing, sodium, variety, favorite flavors.
Old 01-17-09, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm diabetic and lots of the freeze-dried meals have tons of sugar. I bought a food dryer and experimented with making my own meals for backpacking. Some things worked better than others (I can't remember exactly what right now.) If you know you're going to go long stretches without access to food you might think about getting one. They're pretty cheap, and it's kind of fun to make your own. That way you know exactly what's in it. You can avoid any substances with names you can't pronounce.

Two summers ago I spent one night in a campground after not seeing a grocery store the day before. I had bought a loaf of bread and small plastic jar of peanut butter, plus I brought a small jar of sugar-free jam. I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner and breakfast. It was okay.

Last summer I brought an emergency freeze-dried meal. I went to the local outdoor store and bought the one with the least sugar that sounded the best. It came in handy because I stopped early one day many miles before a grocery store. Having the emergency meal figured into my decision to stop early. However, it was terrible.

After that I just carried the p. b. & j. fixings. I prefer a peanut butter sandwich to a freeze-dried meal. It also works out well for me because I often have to stop for a snack if my blood sugar gets too low. Half a peanut butter sandwich makes a perfect snack.

I think carrying bread, peanut butter, and sugar-free jam is going to become my permanent modus operandi.
Old 01-17-09, 10:49 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe

After that I just carried the p. b. & j. fixings. I prefer a peanut butter sandwich to a freeze-dried meal. It also works out well for me because I often have to stop for a snack if my blood sugar gets too low. Half a peanut butter sandwich makes a perfect snack.

I think carrying bread, peanut butter, and sugar-free jam is going to become my permanent modus operandi.
Bread, or bagels? I understand bagels hold up better than a loaf of bread when stuffed in a pannier all day.

Old 01-17-09, 11:17 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
Yuck. I had one MRE on my last tour, given to me by a tourer who had overpacked. One was enough.
You're lucky, you had a newer one. MREs changed around 1988. Before that, they were terrible. The new ones aren't nearly as bad. I have eaten many MREs while in the National Guard. I wouldn't take one on tour either.
Old 01-17-09, 11:30 AM
Older than dirt

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I'm diabetic and lots of the freeze-dried meals have tons of sugar.

I'm diabetic AND allergic to peanuts! LOL
Old 01-17-09, 11:47 AM
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
For most folks, the biggest detractor of freeze dried meals is their cost.

I've eaten Mountain House, Backpackers Pantry and Alpine Aire (arranged by increasing cost and general tastiness). The MH from my BSA days in the 70s left such bad memories that I didn't try it again until ~95. It seems to have improved. Alpine Aire is pretty good. I can consume 20 bucks (2 packs) worth after packing 10 miles - so pretty expensive.

As others pointed out, sodium content a little high (like most boxed/prepared foods), but you usually need the sodium if backpacking - not so much if winter bicycling.

Some of them are actually pretty good tasting. You have to experiment to find your favorite, like all foods.

I've tried MREs several times, not impressed. Always left me amazed that US Military so far behind commericial suppliers.

Here's a bulk producer/seller that brings down the cost of FD considerably from the single-meal packages. Have to repackage or concoct your own meals. I've used their eggs, excellent for FD eggs.

https://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

Walmart sells food too - fruit, grains. They sell dehydrators too if you want to try some DIY jerky, which is very expensive. FD eggs much cheaper and better source of protein.
Old 01-17-09, 01:35 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Bread, or bagels? I understand bagels hold up better than a loaf of bread when stuffed in a pannier all day.
Both...and tortillas? We used to buy commercial bread and compress the loaf so it would fit in a backpack/pannier (called square air for a reason) My personal preference is to buy a loaf of relatively fresh baked bread from a deli along the way and use it up as the day goes along, then replace the next day. I do keep a pack of the flour tortillas in my food stash, they last forever (relative to fresh bread) and can be used in a multitude of ways.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-17-09, 01:40 PM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by CCrew
Thanks for all the info - it's valuable. Reason I was asking is that I live in an area that has a huge National Forest presence, and we can run the Jeep all day across two states and never see civilization, so the possibility of being 2/3 days on a bike without getting to a store is very possible. Pretty much akin to backpacking on a bike.

-Roger
On most tours where you can but "real" food frequently I would strongly advise against the freeze dried meals. If you really need to carry a lot of days worth of meals and have water available along the way, maybe. If you have to carry all of the water, the weight advantage disappears.

We did eat some freeze dried stuff on the TA. Some of the veggies are very good (peas and carrots for example). We found the portions skimpy and the taste of main courses to range from barely acceptable to horrible.

There are lots of dried noodle and rice dishes in the grocery that are much better. If you add foil pouch tuna or salmon it works out well.

I am not sure if I will even use it for emergency meals again, but I will buy the freeze dried veggies again.
Old 01-17-09, 01:42 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2007 red Trek Fuel EX 6, c. 1990 Diamondback Centurion Master TG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd forget it I use Mountain House Chicken a La King with Noodles. It tastes great, and is awesome. Just, after a long day of riding or backpacking, it says it serves two, but I can finish it myself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.