Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

touring alabama

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

touring alabama

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
touring alabama

this summer i would like to get into touring and was just wondering if anyone knows any great rides around alabama and/or the southeast...also since im new to this i need all the adivce i can get, any wise words?
thanks
-scott
Old 01-17-09, 04:54 PM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natchez Trace?

Speedo
Old 01-17-09, 05:01 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Longest paved rail trail in the US.
https://www.chiefladiga.com/
Old 01-17-09, 06:45 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Bikes: IndyFab 29er SS, Surly CrossCheck, Titus Moto-lite, Specialized Enduro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Alabama and intend to tour the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet Trail all the way...turn around and come back...It is supposed to be pretty flat, car free and paved all the way
Old 01-17-09, 07:01 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 643 Posts
And then if you want a challenge, go a little south of the Alabama end of the trail, and catch the Talladega Scenic Highway (its a public highway, traffic is usually pretty light). It goes from near Heflin to Cheaha Mountain (highest point in Alabama).

Last edited by wrk101; 01-17-09 at 07:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-09, 10:24 PM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Lincoln
I live in Alabama and intend to tour the Chief Ladiga/Silver Comet Trail all the way...turn around and come back...It is supposed to be pretty flat, car free and paved all the way
I've done that several times. Both the Chief Ladiga and Silver Comet trails have been completed so there are no detours or traffic at all. The pavement between Jacksonville, AL and Piedmont, AL is getting rough in places. A couple of places are bad enough that you should not ride over broken pavement with skinny road bike tires as it could cut them. If you camp along the way you will need to do it stealth style. The only campground along the way is just south of Piedmont, AL and you must make arrangements with the city to camp there and thats hard to do for just one or two people. If your with the boy scout's it's easy. Otherwise it's not worth the effort. There are no steep hills to climb and you would have no trouble with even an old heavy 3-speed bike loaded with gear. I've done both trails both ways in two days but thats no fun at all. Three days doing about 70 miles a day is reasonable if you don't stop often to take pictures. Four days allows you to stop often to take pictures and enjoy the trip.
Old 01-17-09, 10:47 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
I've done that several times. Both the Chief Ladiga and Silver Comet trails have been completed so there are no detours or traffic at all. The pavement between Jacksonville, AL and Piedmont, AL is getting rough in places. A couple of places are bad enough that you should not ride over broken pavement with skinny road bike tires as it could cut them. If you camp along the way you will need to do it stealth style. The only campground along the way is just south of Piedmont, AL and you must make arrangements with the city to camp there and thats hard to do for just one or two people. If your with the boy scout's it's easy. Otherwise it's not worth the effort. There are no steep hills to climb and you would have no trouble with even an old heavy 3-speed bike loaded with gear. I've done both trails both ways in two days but thats no fun at all. Three days doing about 70 miles a day is reasonable if you don't stop often to take pictures. Four days allows you to stop often to take pictures and enjoy the trip.
I intend to do it over a couple of days and stay at motels or hotels along the way. I am going to take a Surly CrossCheck with Schwalbe Marathons so flats should not be a problem. They are 700x28 and can take a licking and keep on ticking
Old 01-18-09, 12:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea, actually i live in jacksonville, alabama and attend jsu. i am on the ladiga trail every day doing about 15 miles a day for exercise but i would like to do the entire trail... i did not know the silver comet trail was paved, thats good to know i'd like to do that one too one day, well thanks for everyone's input but keep it coming!
Old 01-18-09, 09:48 AM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're doing pretty well with info here, but you might get even more if you posted a request on the Southeast regional forum.

Speedo

Last edited by Speedo; 01-18-09 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-09, 10:23 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Speedo
You're doing pretty well with info here, but you might get even more if you posted a request on the Southeast regional forum.

Speedo
I'd offer suggestions for the OP, but I'm told a Southern man don't want old Neil around anyhow.

Old 01-19-09, 02:37 PM
Which bike should I ride?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
How long of a ride are you looking for? The Chief ladiga/Silver Comet is about a century each direction (I think - I've never actually ridden it).

The Natchez Trace cuts across a corner of AL, but extends nearly 450 mi from Natchez, MS, to Nashville, TN. Little traffic, and a great ride.

The ACA's Underground Railroad route starts in Mobile and heads north across the state.

I rode from Tuscaloosa to Columbus, GA, and from there on to Savannah, GA, last May. I could provide details on that if you're interested.
Old 01-19-09, 03:45 PM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Lincoln
this is the best way to go, and if you're up for morning to night, the whole thing is possible in two days, with ~140 miles each day, one day there one day back. it's a joy to ride, and as he mentioned, MOSTLY it's flat, about 10 miles west of rockmart there are some pretty fun rolling hills that get rather large, but i could tackle them on my single speed without dismounting, so they aren't too too bad. i know 140 sounds stupid in one day, but it's really not that bad because there aren't many hills, you can fly. also, don't forget to stop at frankies in rockmart. they're very friendly : ) and food is good.

NO CARS! WOO!

check out their websites for more info
Old 01-19-09, 03:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my mistake, it's not even near 140, then you should be fine : )
Old 01-19-09, 03:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oh, and while i'm here, is there anybody in atlanta looking for a riding buddy that wants to hit this trail on the weekends? i don't have a car and the 13 miles from georgia tech to GET to the trail is killer. i can help pay for gas : )
Old 01-19-09, 06:16 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
How long of a ride are you looking for? The Chief ladiga/Silver Comet is about a century each direction (I think - I've never actually ridden it).

The Natchez Trace cuts across a corner of AL, but extends nearly 450 mi from Natchez, MS, to Nashville, TN. Little traffic, and a great ride.

The ACA's Underground Railroad route starts in Mobile and heads north across the state.

I rode from Tuscaloosa to Columbus, GA, and from there on to Savannah, GA, last May. I could provide details on that if you're interested.
Please provide me with the details of all three if possible...starting point, miles, traffic, etc...I really am interested but have been a mtb'er for years and am now just starting to tour. I did not know there were so many options in Alabama
Old 01-21-09, 12:49 PM
Which bike should I ride?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hot Rod:

The Natchez Trace is part of the National Park system as is very popular with cyclists. I spent 6 days in '07 riding it from Natchez to Nashville (about 70 mi per day). Traffic is light, except for the areas near Jackson and Tupelo. A good resource is Wanner's (sp?) book entitled "Bicycling the Natchez Trace". The book also includes a number of other nearby cycling routes.

The Adventure Cycling Association provides maps of the Underground Railroad route, as well as many others. Check out their web site and join up if you're going to get into touring.

My Tuscaloosa to Savannah trip last May took 8 days (again, about 70 mi per day). I rode mostly county and state highways, so I had some traffic but it wasn't bad anywhere. In a nutshell, my route was Tuscaloosa, Clanton, Auburn, Columbus, Thomaston, Perry, Dublin, Metter, Savannah.
Old 01-21-09, 11:10 PM
"I'm the Man in Black"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Hot Rod:

The Natchez Trace is part of the National Park system as is very popular with cyclists. I spent 6 days in '07 riding it from Natchez to Nashville (about 70 mi per day). Traffic is light, except for the areas near Jackson and Tupelo. A good resource is Wanner's (sp?) book entitled "Bicycling the Natchez Trace". The book also includes a number of other nearby cycling routes.

The Adventure Cycling Association provides maps of the Underground Railroad route, as well as many others. Check out their web site and join up if you're going to get into touring.

My Tuscaloosa to Savannah trip last May took 8 days (again, about 70 mi per day). I rode mostly county and state highways, so I had some traffic but it wasn't bad anywhere. In a nutshell, my route was Tuscaloosa, Clanton, Auburn, Columbus, Thomaston, Perry, Dublin, Metter, Savannah.
I think I need to get a Minoura extension so that I can mount my TriNewt above the H-bar bag on my CrossCheck