Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

SKS fender instructions or close up picture

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-09, 07:50 PM
Here and There

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Evening all,
I'm trying to mount some SKS P50's on my LHT and they didn't come with instructions.
Any body have some they can scan or better yet some close up pictures of the stays
as they mount onto the fenders.

Thanks in advance
Mike
Old 01-17-09, 08:06 PM

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT, 2008 Trek 7.2fx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have P45s on my LHT, but I just snapped some pics for you. I apologize in advance for the dirty bike!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mesason...7612643143419/

Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-09, 08:31 PM
Here and There

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the fast reply! Don't worry about the dirt that just tells me you actually ride.
My brackets on the fender,the bolt with hole and nut are the same, but the the black tip cover on mine has a piece on the bottom that appears to slide over the bracket. Can't take no pic right now to show. The part that slides over the bracket has cut outs for the nut and bolt. p
When in doubt cut it off. I can then mount them just like your pictures shows.
Thanks again for the quick reply.
Mike
Old 01-17-09, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that black thing is the EZ Quick release bracket. It allows you to pop the fenders in and out without unscrewing anything, in case you need to clean or adjust them.
Old 01-17-09, 09:58 PM
Here and There

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by recklesscogniti
that black thing is the EZ Quick release bracket. It allows you to pop the fenders in and out without unscrewing anything, in case you need to clean or adjust them.
Your on the wrong end of the fenderstay. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow. I feel like SKS made a slight change in the design of the part that mounts to the fender itself.
thanks for the reply though.
mike
I'll try to draw it using the keyboard. remind you that this is is what goes on the end of the rod at the fender

. ^
. l l
. l l
. l l
-----
l __ l
l_l l_l
side view
Well that's rather crude but use your imagination.

Last edited by Biknmik; 01-17-09 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-18-09, 09:33 PM
I live in a bicycle.

Bikes: 1980 Motobecane Le Champion, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 1985 Nishiki Cresta GT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cut mine off. Just like on that LHT. Squish them down by biting, pinching with pliers etc. to get them to stay on. Or just glue them on.
Old 02-02-09, 10:19 PM

Bikes: LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just mounted some p45's on my LHT, they look great but I feel like I'm going to be OCD about adjusting them until they look just right.

Two Questions:

1 - The screw that goes into the fork braze-on is wicked long. Even after going through the quick release tab and my fork braze-on it sticks out a good bit. It isn't enough to touch my spokes but it just doesn't seem right sticking out... Do you guys cut these screws down?

2 - I used the clamp to fix the rear fender to the chainstay. I did this because I wanted to be able to take the fender off quickly and without removing my rear wheel. This makes my fender have a large gap from the tire. Should I live with the gap or try and create a spacer of some sort? Is the gap only going to affect aesthetics?

Also I wish I had a tap to run through my braze-ons to clean out the paint. I'm somewhat disappointed my LBS didn't do this.