Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring across the US should i go West to East or East or West

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-09, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

ok so i am touring across the United States from June 15 2009 to august 15 2009. which coast should i start from. concerned about head winds and weather patterns any advice on this subject would be appreciated. also any personal experiences.
Old 01-22-09, 01:56 PM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=east+west
Old 01-22-09, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by atombianchi
ok so i am touring across the United States from June 15 2009 to august 15 2009. which coast should i start from. concerned about head winds and weather patterns any advice on this subject would be appreciated. also any personal experiences.
Do I remember correctly that your end points are SF, CA and Yorktown, VA? If so given a June 15th departure W-E is the only way that makes sense. You don't want to be in the desert on the Western Express or similar route in August. Prevailing winds are not as significant a factor as where you are when it is hottest. You will have plenty of headwinds either way, for your route winds are likely to be a wash. For the TA they are likely to slightly favor E-W.
Old 01-23-09, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
June in the deserts is far worse than August in the deserts, from my experience here in Tucson. The temperature is on average 5-10 degrees hotter, so you're dealing with 105 degree days instead of 95 degree days.
Old 01-23-09, 05:36 AM

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Agentbolt
June in the deserts is far worse than August in the deserts, from my experience here in Tucson. The temperature is on average 5-10 degrees hotter, so you're dealing with 105 degree days instead of 95 degree days.
At some point I was considering doing the WE and I checked a few towns climate info along the way. I seem to remember that the temperature peaked in the end July and stayed pretty hot through the first half of August. June was cooler in the few spots that I sampled.

I don't have any actual local knowledge of the area, so I may not have picked the best places to use as data points. As a result my comments may be flawed, then again Tucson is pretty far away from the WE so your observations may not be relevant to the WE. Can anyone who knows, pipe up and clarify?
Old 01-23-09, 08:15 AM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
The Western Express traverses the High Desert not the Sonoran. Its climate pattern is Great Basin and does not have the summer monsoon of Arizona and New Mexico which makes June hotter than July and August.

Fallon, Nevada temps peak in late July.
Cedar City, Utah peaks in mid July.