Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Will a couple stem degrees make a huge difference?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 03:21 PM
Gunner.

Bikes: Giant TCR, Spooky Skeletor, Pivot Mach 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Sorry for the long title. Here's the scoop. I'm a mere 5'4 and due to that I ride smaller bikes than most. Currently I ride a size small Giant TCR with a Ritchey WCS 100mm stem. My seat height is correct however I've only got about a 1" drop from saddle to bars. FWIW I don't use any spacers. I'm looking to increase the drop a bit without moving to a smaller frame (I've tried the XS and it's just not right). I was thinking of maybe a Thompson stem that has a +/- 10 degree angle or something similar. I believe the Ritchey is +/- 6 degrees. How big of a difference is 4 degrees?

Thanks for any insight.

Rob
Old 03-09-09, 03:22 PM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Old 03-09-09, 03:26 PM
Gunner.

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
11 degrees might be a bit drastic. I was thinking more like 2-4.
Old 03-09-09, 03:32 PM

Bikes: Time RXRS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
-4 degrees will move the handlebar roughly 6 mm lower.
Old 03-09-09, 03:37 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A little drop can make a significant difference, as it increases shoulder drop as well. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 03-09-09, 03:41 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 1,233 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by gpelpel
-4 degrees will move the handlebar roughly 6 mm lower.
Yeah, it's not a big difference. If you think you need to go lower, find a -17 stem. That's what I did, not because I have to ride small frame, but because I have to ride one size up due to some odd proportions.

Before you decide if you need to go lower, put your bike next to a mirror and get in the drops. If you can get your bike relatively flat with bent elbows, you probably don't need to go any lower.

edit: fwiw the switch from a -6 stem to a -17 stem made for about a 3/4 inch extra drop. Enough to feel, enough to get my back lower, but not too much to cause back aches (for me).

Last edited by urbanknight; 03-09-09 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 03:43 PM
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the change will be quite small, if I'm reading this chart right: https://www.habcycles.com/fitting.html

The difference in reach you get by flipping a 10 cm stem by 5 deg. looks to be about 2mm, moving the bars closer. Probably offsets the drop you'll get moving the bars lower. I'm guessing the change will fine.

Only way to know is to give it a try. I wonder if you could borrow a stem from friends or your LBS to try it out?
Old 03-09-09, 04:01 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by robncircus
Sorry for the long title. Here's the scoop. I'm a mere 5'4 and due to that I ride smaller bikes than most. Currently I ride a size small Giant TCR with a Ritchey WCS 100mm stem. My seat height is correct however I've only got about a 1" drop from saddle to bars. FWIW I don't use any spacers. I'm looking to increase the drop a bit without moving to a smaller frame (I've tried the XS and it's just not right). I was thinking of maybe a Thompson stem that has a +/- 10 degree angle or something similar. I believe the Ritchey is +/- 6 degrees. How big of a difference is 4 degrees?

Thanks for any insight.

Rob
is there any way you can try this position before you buy it? i'm 5'6" and have less than a full inch of drop from my saddle to tops. when i get in the drops i'm right on the edge of kneeing myself in the chest every pedal stroke. Is there a specific reason why you want to increase the drop, aside from aesthetics?
Old 03-09-09, 04:32 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a -17 and if it is too low put a spacer back on.
Old 03-09-09, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little drop will make a HUGE difference on long rides (40+ miles), esp. in the beginning. You could get the Specialized comp stem. It's in between a fully adjustable and a fixed one, it has a very clever system of twistable inner shims that let you set the angle. It costs about $40 so it's worth a shot. I think it only comes in aluminum, though.
Old 03-09-09, 08:28 PM
Gunner.

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
thanks for the help everyone. I'll go to the local shop and check out a few. Maybe I can get them to let me do a test ride before laying down some dough. Wost case scenario I'll get one from Performance and return it if it's not the right thing for me.

Originally Posted by Val23708
Is there a specific reason why you want to increase the drop, aside from aesthetics?
Yeppers. When I am in the drops I don't get my back as flat as I'd like. I am comfy right now and will likely use the stem on my current bike for my "climbing" bike (just my way of justifying another bike). However, I feel I am flexible enough to get a bit lower. FWIW I cam from Keirin bikes and always had a significant drop so it's been a matter of time before I wanted that again. If it doesn't work I figure no harm done.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Rob
Old 03-09-09, 09:53 PM
Recovering mentalist

Bikes: Too many

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Depends how far you ride.