Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Excessive sweat and cable/frame damage

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts

Here's the deal. Have always dripped sweat while working hard and now I live in the tropics (summer hasn't even started yet), so the bike always gets a good soak as I drip on it.

The sweat that hits the top tube then runs underneath to the rear brake cable and the cable stops. My cable has gone a bit skanky black looking in parts and the cable stops build up a scunge of salt.

I do wipe down the bike with a damp cloth and some spray kitchen cleaner after each ride as part of my routine, but should I do more? I'm thinking that I need more water to dilute out that salt. Should I treat the cable with something (soak it in an oil or protectant)?

I'm going to replace that cable soon, but I think I'm going to get some alloy corrosion soon on the frame (CAAD 9) around those cable stops.

Any advice or experiences that might help?
Old 03-09-09, 08:01 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
put a towel over your toptube and bars when you ride. It'll keep the sweat from hitting your bike directly
Old 03-09-09, 08:28 PM
anything but last

Bikes: Cannondale caad9 full duraace`, trek soho singlespeed...cross bike coming soon.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
while having a towel on your stuff is practical indoors, outdoors it really isnt.

as far as keeping your bike in good shape to combat your sweat, i would encourage doing what you are doing, but making sure you take the cable housing/ferrules out of the bosses regularly. that is the biggest problem i ahve seen with sweat corrosion is that the ferrules and bosses can practically weld together. aside from that, regularly dropping a bit of lube into the ferrules where the cable comes out with a needle luber or applying a liberal amount of slick honey when you replace the cable (do it twice a season instead of once...depending on how much you ride).
all this should keep you in good shape, keep wiping down the frame, and sweat on haha.
Old 03-09-09, 09:31 PM
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
all what rooster said and you might try boeshield.