Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you join a team?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How do you join a team?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 09:24 PM

Bikes: 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you join a team?

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I feel it's valid nonetheless.

I've been cycling for a while, and I currently own a 2008 lemond tourmalet (beginner bike I know). On my long rides, I put in around 55-65 miles, and durring the summers I rarely have a week under 100 mile, usually closer to 150. This is all solo riding, mind you.

I'd like to start racing, have a team, and do group rides. Unfortunately, cyclists so far don't seem to be the easiest group to break into. I've been to two different LBS's and asked about teams in the areas, and one of them even sponsors a team. Yet one had no real knowledge, and the other said that there are group rides, but he knew nothing else. I've had half the mind to just show up to a group ride, but there are many problems with this. I have no group riding experience, and I have no idea how I measure up. I'd hate to show up to a group of concentrated experts on a ride in which they plan on dropping people.

I've researched teams online, but most in the area have poorly maintained websites, or demand a full commitment of money, participation, scheduling and volunteering just to join.

How do I break into this culture? How do I find a team that will teach me how to ride in a group and a race? How do I find a team that isn't too elitist or clicky?
Old 03-09-09, 09:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends if you want to join a racing team or just a team to train with, etc... Racing teams you usually have to have racing time under your time, usually starting off with a few races in CAT 5, then you can bump up.

If you just want to ride with a team, contact them, pay your feee then your in!
Old 03-09-09, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to race, you should visit the Racing Forum. Botto has some excellent advice for getting started. Once you've participated in some races, maybe people will be more interested in talking to you about team membership...
Old 03-09-09, 09:38 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
If you want to race, you should visit the Racing Forum. Botto has some excellent advice for getting started. Once you've participated in some races, maybe people will be more interested in talking to you about team membership...
I really don't understand why people have such a hard time seeing the link.
Old 03-09-09, 09:40 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to add that just because a shop sponsors a team doesn't mean it has anything to do with it, other than providing discounted merchandise. Sponsors and teams have little in common other than advertising.
Old 03-10-09, 08:01 AM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Keep in mind, there's a difference between a club and a team, which are--of course--both different than group rides and shop rides. There are so many variables in defining these three that it's almost hopeless to try. But I will.

Most everything eventually comes down to "it depends." Because there is no set structure across the world on how everything is supposed to be organized, it all depends on how people in your area have organized it so far.
  • Both clubs and teams almost always organize their own group rides (referred to as "club ride" or "team ride"). A team's rides are probably only open to team members & invited riders (or, depending on the team, they might be open to anyone--just depends).
  • Club rides usually welcome non-members with the hope that you'll eventually become a member (definitely a good thing) and only require you to wear a helmet. A club ride is usually more socially focused--although there may be many riders within the club who can and will ride fast and may even be using the club ride for training for their racing. A team ride is usually focused more on their training for racing.
  • A group ride is just that. Sometimes it's run by a team or a club. Sometimes, it's not. Here in SoCal, there's quite a few group rides with no organizer/director/person in charge. This has its benefits and drawbacks. These group rides are training rides for local racing teams. Sometimes, pro riders show up to ride with us amateurs. (One of the immensely cool things about cycling vs. any other sport.)
  • To muddy the water even more, local bike shops sometimes run their own group rides. They may have their own club (or may not) or they may even have their own team (or may not). This shop ride may be social or it may be focused on performance (racing). A local shop in my town has regular Monday night & Saturday morning group rides. Riding is free and it's very social, but the rides tend to also turn into hammer-fests. Participation is free, but many of the riders own a jersey/shorts kit with the shop's name and colors on them. Some even have bikes with the shop's colors/name on them.
  • Group rides and shop rides don't charge money to ride. If they do, they're called "races" or "event rides".
  • You can belong to either a club or a team or both by joining. I can't think of any way you could belong to a group ride or shop ride. You can belong to multiple clubs. I belong to three. You can possibly even belong to multiple teams, but it's not recommended . Some teams are attached to parent-clubs. The club may actively support their racing and enjoy seeing these riders out on the weekly club rides. My club even has "racer paybacks"--actual cash--at the end of the year for their racers. They also do the same for non-racers who just do organized centuries. The club runs several races in the spring.
  • Clubs almost always have an annual membership fee. Some teams do, some don't. Depends on the team and maybe your level of racing (called a category). On my team, the cat 1s & 2s get free stuff (clothing, food, bikes, etc...) and even free race entry fees. The 3s, 4s and 5s (me) have to pay for their own. Again...depends on the team.
  • Starting racing is a great idea: those of us who already race have a lot of fun. That's why we keep coming back even though we never win anything You don't have to be on a team to race, but it helps. You could just belong to a local club and race for them if you want (if they are a USCF club--not all are).

Since you have limited group-riding experience, I suggest you start at the bottom and work your way up the ladder: find a local club and go to their club ride. Again, this'll probably be free, but if you enjoy yourself, you'll eventually want to pay the membership fee and join. It's the right thing to do and helps support the sport. If you can ride with their faster riders, then think about finding some fast group rides and do them. If you can stay with the pack during these, then definitely enter your first race (new racers are cat 5). Again, you don't have to be on a team to race, but it helps. So you may eventually want to find a team to join. After your first cat 5 race, ask some fellow riders how they joined their team. Or ask the race promoter. And if you're really good at racing, the teams will usually come looking for you.

Where can you find out all the specifics to the questions you undoubtedly have now? Several places: internet, local bike shop, telephone directory, riders you just happen to pass on the road while riding or driving your car. Back in 1987, I first heard about the existence of my local bicycle club from a newspaper article. Prior to that, I didn't know they existed.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-10-09, 08:05 AM
TCR
Riding Heavens Highway

Bikes: '04 Giant TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello?

Hello. I was interested in joining your team.

Ok.

etc.

etc.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. You must have some local club rides in your area, right? Go to them and ride with the groups. Get to know the people, who the racers are, and who the rec riders are. See who you mesh with the best.

etc.
Old 03-10-09, 08:16 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1472 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 390 Posts
Given you've never done a group ride, you may want to find some "recreational" group rides, other than starting with the local Tuesaday night worlds.

Go out and see where you stack up fitness wise. Once you're the big dog on the "A" ride, seek out the racing training rides in the area.

Talk to people at the rides, ask them what club, or team they're with, etc. After some rides and talking with people on the rides you should be able to figure out which group with which you best fit .
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-10-09, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Teams want $$
Old 03-10-09, 10:08 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Finding a team to train and race for, and finding the right team for you are two different objectives.
There's a complete list on USACycling.org, https://www.usacycling.org/clubs/
Most of the clubs listed have a web site or contacts - contact them, tell them about yourself, fitness levels, goals, etc and ask if you'd be a good fit?
From experience, some smaller clubs don't have time or enough of a membership to develop and train people new to racing. There are other larger clubs that do have developmental programs including training programs for racing - you probably want to find a club willing to work with you, unless you want to go on training rides and have your legs ripped off by a bunch of Cat 2/3s. Which is another way of developing skills and fitness so long as you're willing to be dropped and yelled at when you mess up.

Good luck
Old 03-10-09, 10:09 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You get invited to join a team and most teams are not interested in recruiting 5's unless they are a start up.

You can join a club, pay your $30 or whatever and do their group rides, chances are that club has a racing team, they will probably let you ride with them but they won't be the fuzzy, warm "no drop" rides that the club does.
Old 03-10-09, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!
You get invited to join a team and most teams are not interested in recruiting 5's unless they are a start up.

You can join a club, pay your $30 or whatever and do their group rides, chances are that club has a racing team, they will probably let you ride with them but they won't be the fuzzy, warm "no drop" rides that the club does.
That may be true in a lot of cases, but I know a couple of teams around my area that are willing to take on Cat5s and develop them if the person shows they are truely interested in racing, are committed to working, and of course willing to pay the club membership fee

The OP can always check Bikereg (if it's back up) to see if there are any training races in their area to gain experience and then race unattached to get experience and upgrade points. You do well there will be opportunities.
Old 03-10-09, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.usacycling.org/clubs/

Directory of clubs in every region / state / etc.

Find a couple in your area. Call and ask if they have regular rides. Suit up, show up, and keep up.

Edit: Looks like I got beat to it.
Old 03-10-09, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
The key is going to group rides and getting to know people and how to ride in a group.

I was at first reluctant to do the group rides because I worried I wasn't fast enough. But I eventually started going to the Saturday morning rides. Yes, I got dropped a lot, but they waited at the rest stops, and I eventually got faster and more confident in the group. Evenutally, someone started talking about racing, and I said, "Wow, that sounds like fun, I'd like to do that." They told me all the details.

Next thing you know, I was racing. I then said to my local shop, "Hey, how do I join your race team?"

The shop owner gave me the info., and soon enough, I was on the team.

Then at the end of last summer, I moved halfway across the country.

I looked up local group rides and started hitting them and got to know some people and the different rides and groups/teams in the area.

I went to my first race here a few weeks ago and started talking with people. I found a team that is a developmental team with mostly Cat 4 and 5 riders - perfect for me. It was an open team, meaning anyone interested in training and racing, and willing to pay the annual dues and buy the kit was welcome to join. I signed up.

Our kits should arrive in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-10-09, 11:57 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do the local group rides, meet people. Do more rides with the people you like. Join the club/team they are on. That's how it's always worked for me.
Old 03-10-09, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
progression:
club rides -> fast club rides -> team rides -> racing

Originally Posted by Adamkeif
How do I break into this culture? How do I find a team that will teach me how to ride in a group and a race? How do I find a team that isn't too elitist or clicky?
teams aren't there to teach you to ride in a group. Go on club rides and learn that. The fast club rides will give you some experience pace lining and other on the road etiquette. You will also probably meet lots of people on teams at that point and be able to network to find teams to join from there (also, whether you like / get along with the people).
Old 03-10-09, 12:12 PM
It's ALL base...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Post your location, and look in your regional forum HERE for other people in your area, and maybe even group rides. Great way to get involved, IMO.
Old 03-10-09, 12:21 PM
umd
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Do the local group rides, meet people. Do more rides with the people you like. Join the club/team they are on. That's how it's always worked for me.
That's how it worked for me as well.
Old 03-10-09, 01:22 PM
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 561 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22732 Post(s)
Liked 9,100 Times in 4,230 Posts
+1 to most of the above. Find a local club (not "team"). Ride with them for a few rides. Most clubs allow non-members to ride with them. If you find a group you like, pony up to be a member.
Old 03-10-09, 01:23 PM

Bikes: 2008 Giant OCR1 (with panda bear on the back!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been cycling for a while, and I currently own a 2008 lemond tourmalet (beginner bike I know). On my long rides, I put in around 55-65 miles, and durring the summers I rarely have a week under 100 mile, usually closer to 150. This is all solo riding, mind you.

I'd like to start racing, have a team, and do group rides. Unfortunately, cyclists so far don't seem to be the easiest group to break into. I've been to two different LBS's and asked about teams in the areas, and one of them even sponsors a team. Yet one had no real knowledge, and the other said that there are group rides, but he knew nothing else. I've had half the mind to just show up to a group ride, but there are many problems with this. I have no group riding experience, and I have no idea how I measure up. I'd hate to show up to a group of concentrated experts on a ride in which they plan on dropping people.

I've researched teams online, but most in the area have poorly maintained websites, or demand a full commitment of money, participation, scheduling and volunteering just to join.

Actually, unless the team is very race-oriented and is strictly concerned about results, most team leaders are very kind and accepting to let people into their "nest." Heck, you could join some teams just by paying a fee and attaching the club to your race license!

Usually, riding with the team members is the best way to break into a team, as it lets the more seasoned riders get a good perspective on your strengths and weaknesses. Don't be afraid if you get dropped; some nicer riders will help you get through the ride at a pace that won't kill you. (As an aside, I remember the only time that I rode with a local team. I got dropped really badly, but had a Cat 3 rider help me struggle up the hills. The one thing I remember him telling me was to "never stop." That helped me significantly in improving my climbing and H'ing TFU.) After a while of doing this, someone will give you more info on how to join and wear their insignia.

The easiest way to find these teams is tagging along on the morning group rides.

If you're into group riding, it's a very rewarding experience. I'm not, so I haven't taken much time to find a group that I like.

Good luck!

Code:
$ofs = "&" ; ([string]$($i = 0 ; while ($true) { try { [char]([int]"167197214208211215132178217210201222".substring($i,3) - 100) ; $i =
 $i+3 > catch { break >>)).replace('&','') ; $ofs=" " # Replace right angles with right curly braces
Old 03-10-09, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might have an issue finding a team with that attitude.
Old 03-10-09, 03:53 PM
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Step 1 - Go back to college
Step 2 - find college cycling club
Step 3 - join college cycling club
Step 4 - go on the group rides
Step 5 - start racing
Step 6 - ???
Step 7 - profit!

Seriously, college is the best place to get into racing. If it's too late for you, then follow the advice already given, it's all good.
Old 03-10-09, 04:07 PM
Banned

Bikes: 2007 Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Find a fast team.

2. Convince them to let you ride with them on one of their really tough rides.

3. During the hardest part of the ride, when everyone is dying, ride off the front of the group and stay away for the rest of the ride.

4. Accept their invitation to join.
Old 03-10-09, 05:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Oh, I missed that part. Poorly maintained web sites is the norm. It's all volunteer and the web site comes after everything else.

At least in NorCal, every USA Cycling registered club ("team") is required to put on a race. If the clubs don't do it there won't be many races.... VeloPromo can't do everything. And if you're a club member, you are obligated to help put on the race. At the least that means showing up on race day and being a corner marshal. My club puts on a race that I would be well suited for (lots of climbing) but I have not done it since I have been working instead.

But you don't need to do any of the club/team stuff if you just want to ride in a club's open rides. That's where you should start. If after a while you get all excited and want to race, then you can worry about joining a club.
Old 03-10-09, 05:10 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Do what I do. Become a sponsor.

Or what I did 20 years ago. Do fast group rides, start racing unattached, pal around with the guys at the races and eventually you'll find a team or club to join.