Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roubaix Expert or Cervelo RS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Both are 09's and the same price, 3300.00, with very similar components. The Roubaix is white with black logos and the RS is black and grey. Both look great and the feel/fit is dead on.
Flip a coin or is one better than the other?
Old 03-10-09, 03:24 PM
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like the RS, personally.
Old 03-10-09, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd get the RS.
Old 03-10-09, 03:37 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I looked at both and ended up with a Cervelo RS. The bikes are pretty similar, so it would be a very good idea to test-ride them for yourself. If you can't tell the difference, buy the one that looks best to you or flip a coin...

In my case, I thought the RS felt lighter than the Roubaix Expert and had slightly better road feel. The ride was still plush, just not quite as plush as the Roubaix; I had a better feel for what was happening underneath the tires when riding the RS. Acceleration was good on both bikes and I couldn't feel any flex from either. That said, the RS seemed to hold a straight line slightly better than the Roubaix when out of the saddle and hammering. Looks-wise, I hated the white Roubaix Expert, even though it's otherwise a very nice bike. In the end, I decided to buy a frame rather than a complete bike and Roubaix frames were hard to find when I was looking, so that pretty much sealed the deal.
Old 03-10-09, 05:42 PM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Aren't they both made in the same Asian factory only with different paint jobs?

The two frames are clearly different including a philosophical design difference.
The Roubaix is a longer wheelbase bike with a fraction more relaxed head tube angle. Both attributes contribute to slightly slower handling yet a compliant ride.
The Roubaix is a good century bike for the average cyclist who perhaps can't tell much difference nor desires the razor quick handling of a racing bike.

The Cervelo RS is a racing bike with a longer head tube. It has a shorter wheelbase and slightly more upright head tube and therefore is quicker handling and doesn't have quite the ride compliance of the Roubaix...but a good ride.

For me it would be no contest....the RS...as it has exactly the qualities I look for in a bike...decent head tube length to top tube ratio...I may even ride it a size down because of this...and fairly upright angles with racing bike handling.

Btw...it has conventional cable routing and the bike Grandpa should have gotten instead of the S2.